It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked Australian blacklist reveals banned sites

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is a real concern, and it is spreading around the world.

The U.S is planning the ability to immediately halt all Internet access whenever it deems "necessary", and the criteria for that decision seems as open to interpretation as Bush's right to declare martial law was.
Australia is creating this censored list which, as history proves, WILL be abused and used by government to control all information IT decides is counter to their doctrine.

And today, the BBC, in the space of five minutes, reported on the verdict of a man convicted of pedophilia stating that he had thousands of images on his computer, they then followed this up with a second story of a pedophile, again with thousands of images on his computer, and then followed this up with the story of the illegal activities of the founders of The Pirate Bay, drumming home that it is "stealing" and "illegal".

It seems that the internet (and the rights of the people to communicate freely) is under attack from numerous governments. And if I were a suspicious man, I'd suggest that this is a coordinated effort to convince the public of each nation that it "is in our best interests" to submit to strict controls over what we can and can't see, discuss and learn.
This is an attempt to limit and control the only method of free and unrestricted communication that the people have beyond direct speech. It is an attempt by government to include the internet under their umbrella of influence, and it'll result in the "normalizing" of all media and information dissemination as decided by the government in power.

That is DANGEROUS.

There is no underestimating the importance of preventing the censoring of communication by any government. There is no excuse, no rationale and no fear-mongering strong enough to justify the muzzling of the people by any leadership under any circumstances.

I agree that certain sites depicting illegal and abusive material should be controlled, but it is the job of those in power to hunt down the ones responsible, not restrict the masses in legal activity. Anyone who thinks that censorship of the internet will somehow magically cure the internet of everything gross is an idiot of the highest order.

Humans invented speech, Humans invented writing, Humans invented telecommunications... if your government now decided that any of those were to be restricted and controlled, what would you think?
This is no different.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
This is a real concern, and it is spreading around the world.

----------------

I agree that certain sites depicting illegal and abusive material should be controlled, but it is the job of those in power to hunt down the ones responsible, not restrict the masses in legal activity. Anyone who thinks that censorship of the internet will somehow magically cure the internet of everything gross is an idiot of the highest order.

i don't think anyone with more than 3 brain cells thinks that.i think it's the bloated gumbyment parasites who want to be paid for doing nothing,and create "jobs" to pay more people for doing nothing,that want us to think that.

let's have one of those audit things or whatever they call them,and see what's more cost effective,and effective.this drivel,or a 100 man taskforce hunting down and prosecuting nutters.i'll have 10 on the taskforce.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by aylyan]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
seems there's a discrepancy with the < key *shrug*

new topics

<< 1   >>

join