It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient microbes discovered alive beneath Antarctic glacier

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I say, just keep our eyes on the penquins....

penguins, marine life as well....and maybe birds feeding on the marine life that may migrate to other parts of the world......ancient virus mixing with bird flue or any other existing virus making them super Viruses....

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by biomehanika
I am just a little bit confused. some people say there is no global warming, we going into iceage and at the same time you have a huge ice shelft breaking away. I agree with the OP I think we should be worried.

Besides microbes what if we have some kind of a lost world hidding there with dinosaurs and all. Sci fi

There two sources of GW information:
a) The vast majority coming from scientists who work in the field.
b) Armchair experts and a very very small number of scientists who invariably are being paid by large corporations with vested interests, such as oil.

I'm sure you can guess where the anti GW stories are coming from and even easier : which scientists are observing the deterioation of the Antarctic!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by rattan1

Thats funny, last night i watched an old X-files episode about an arctic team that find alien microbes 3000 meters down in the ice layer.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by reugen
reply to post by rattan1

Thats funny, last night i watched an old X-files episode about an arctic team that find alien microbes 3000 meters down in the ice layer.

As days go by we see that more and more of those Sci-Fi movies are coming true. Our scientific knowledge is still at its infancy as there are still a lot of things we don’t understand.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Nature stikes back,

I have to admitt scientist are slow on the up keep and experimenting, so much knowledge out there now a days, distinguishing between fact and fiction must be problem somewhere?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The melting ice has uncovered bodies of victims that perished during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic which has allowed scientists to take samples of the lung tissues of these victims which in turn has lead to the decoding and reconstitution of viable forms of this virus which killed over 675,000 people in the US alone. Few if anyone living today , have any resistance to this flu which had the unusual attribute of killing a high percentage of the healthiest age groups being between 15 to 34 years of age. My concerns are that these types of viruses could be released by accident from labs that reconstitute them as more and more previously frozen bacteria and viruses are released due to the melting ice. Whatever didn't survive the melt, could and will be reconstituted in these labs as more preserved tissue samples are uncovered, including viruses that not only could have the potential for human pandemics, but also pandemics in cross species influenza, leading to an uncontrolable animal die off as well.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by caithness cat]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I'm not really too worried about these virus, but heres something to add to the paranoia -
What if some ancient virus infect the sea life around that area, which is then picked up by commercial fishing boats, then eaten by us.

I think that's a fairly reasonable method by which they could reach here.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by T0by

T0by....get your name right, did I? Good...

We are NOT talking about viruses, in this thread. The title, again....is 'Ancient microbes....'

It implies a sort of bacterium....NOT a virus!!! Two very, very different animals.

Of course, a microbe....well, it's really too small....a cell could be infected with a virus....BUT, we're discussing 'microbes'....smaller than cells, likely smaller than viruses too....

'microbes' can, via evolution, possibl combine to make a cell, thusly forming a more complex organism, etc, etc....but, takes a long time. At least, from what Biological Sciences have so far observed.

Mutations....ah....there's the 'Wild Card'....OK, now go run to the hills!!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Scratched. Missed a relevant post.

My apologies.

- Strype

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Strype]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Sorry I need to get out of the habit of calling any kind of disease a virus.
hmm i don't really like this new character minimum.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Well through fish is how mercury can et exposed to man and it was the source of the minimata outbreak, so if it gets unleashed to the sealife and it gets eaten by us, that is another pandemic waiting to happen as it would infected by the plankton it eats and then gets biomagnified each step of the food chain!!

Just a thought, and I hope that the Illuminati doesn't get their grubby little mits on them, I'd say (as a Biological Chemist) we should respect nature a lot more and it is hitting back against us.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_sharp
Very interesting Article. While some of us might be worried about the rising see level, there is also the danger of an ancient virus as you mentioned. I would say this more worrying than rising sea levels. God knows what else is hiding beneath the ice.

Yeah like ancient ET craft Maybe, I'd say theres alot more living under Antartica than just microbes.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
i'm not afraid of ancient microbes defrosting and killing us all.

i'm afraid of some mad scientist from "put any country you want - we all have smart dr Frankenstein" making this ancient life adaptable in some kind of chemical weapon.

but looking from bright side - research in this microbes can produce major discoveries in science.

if they were found on other planets, knowledge in using them can be beneficial to building first colonies

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rattan1

Good post,something like this is what brought me to ATS.It was about the drillings around Lake Volstok(sp?) a few years ago.Something similar to this.Who knows what is under the Antartic ice sheet.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This is very intresting indeed.
reminds of the 'alien virus' in our upper stratosphere, and people doubt that people are suffering from Morgellons ? think what these microbes can do to us if they mutate into harmful microbes or virus ! :0

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The thing I worry most about with reference to the melting ice caps is the frozen tundra underneath. This contains massive amounts of decomposed matter which has massive amounts of methane. When that melts....

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rattan1

we could be very well be seeing the beginning of our end.extinction is common,and our future is not guaranteed.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hmmmmm.

For some strange reason i've never been concerned with Antarctica.

Apart from the Gamma energetic atmospheric discharge phenomena manifesting in the south hemisphere's polar region and was last i heard hitting as far out as above Tasmania. Polar Magnetospheric anomalies anyone?

Always felt there is something about deep beneath the Arctic though.

Supposed to have been two state of the art submersibles go take a look a few years back, groundbreaking stuff as being the first unmanned subs capable of operating under the deep Arctic pressures.

What happened to that, shelved or something, not much mentioned about any of that in the past couple of years?

Paxus.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaPan

The biggest dangers are from the things we don't worry about. While some of us are worried about rising sea levels, something else might be lurking which is far more dangerous. Scientists should be keeping a very closer eye on what is happening there and take as many samples as possible to determine if there are any potential harmful ancient virus.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Very interesting stuff.

As most microbes cannot survive the human body for long, its unlikely that one that could never have come into contact with one would be pre-adapted to survive and give detrimental health effects.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join