It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did America stop being the world's leading country?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think that from the years 1920 to 1970, more or less, America was the best nation on Earth.

Starting in the '70s, and continuing today, our quality of life, enlightenment and progression has slowed down tremendously, and Europe and the rest of the Anglophone world have got ahead of us.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Well, I've only been alive 1991 onwards. But I started noticing it in maybe 1998 or 1999. Not sure if it's because that's just when I started noticing things like that, but I remember thinking wow all this stuff is made in China, or such and such doesn't seem right, or why are our neighbors moving to a different country. And definitely more recently it's become blatantly obvious.

Not doubting it started to decline before 1991 though! I just wasn't around for it.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Ronald Reagen gave the world a shining city on a hill, George W. Bush turned it into Dracula's Castle.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

wupy

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Ronald Reagen gave the world a shining city on a hill, George W. Bush turned it into Dracula's Castle.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

wupy

Wasn't he the one that talked about a thousand points of blight? Or was that his father? I think the turning point really came after Vietnam. Around the mid 70s and has been on a slide ever since.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Mek-Tech]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Something died in America when JFK was killed and the true reasons for his murder were covered up, a transparent cover story was created an foisted on the American people as truth. The government that used to be respected, became something to be feared.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Well I personally still love this country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I also believe that as bad as things are here, they are worse elsewhere.

Examples:

While our economy is suffering, Europe is in much worse shape right now. Their production and GDP have been more severely affected by the global collapse than we have.

We still have what seems to be freedoms that have evaporated in Europe and never existed in other places like China, e.g. freedom of speech. Here in the Good ol' USA, if you want to be a racist and call some one the N word or deny the holocaust, you can be as offensive as you want. In Europe, you can go to prison for voicing these types of racist beliefs.

If you think the US is bad with respect to wire taps and the such, try the UK. There is no privacy in the UK between all the cameras and other intrusive behavior by the government.

That being said, this country is undeniably on the wrong track. In my opinion, the decline started when Bush the II was appointed illegally by the hacks on the Supreme Court, and has continued with the election of a man who hates what America stands for to the presidency in Obama. Bush almost destroyed this country in eight years, and now Obama is finishing the job.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Starting in the '70s, and continuing today, our quality of life, enlightenment and progression has slowed down tremendously, and Europe and the rest of the Anglophone world have got ahead of us.

Where have you been, what country do you live in?? LOL.

Actually, America (the US) IS FAR ahead of all other countries in the world and will be as far into the future as we can see or at least a hundred years. Americans have never and will never realize this for as a nation we lack confidence, act rather childish and tend to over react to everything.

We have an economy several times larger that our nearest competitor (Japan). We have by far the largest military, especially the Navy and we control all the world's oceans. Noone can do commerce without our approval. We dominate space, the coming frontier for military activities. Hollywood is the heart of the worlds entertainment industry. The US is the largest and most important innovator in the world and will be into the future.

We are apologetic for all these things and refuse to believe them to be true but facts don't lie, we are in a dominate leadership position which the rest of the world will always resent, always resist but will alway have to allow for and work with (or around)! LOL.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
IMO, 1913... With the birth of Federal Reserve. I believe this is the point when our economy really shifted. Remember Andrew jackson saw right thru in in what 1836??? When "The Bank of The United States" was in existence.....(Lincoln 2...I believe it was his demise)
He defeated the bank (very similar system) by not allowing it to run the economy. By doing this, he paid off National Debt. As much of a racist he was, and alcoholic as well, he was the ONLY President to erase national deficit, or debt. EVER!
The only other (who attempted), was Ronald Regan. Yes, true. If anything, Jimmy Carter b4 him made economy worse....Regan took the shelling.
He formed what was called "The Grace Commission" to find ways of putting a dent on the deficit, without getting rid of ANY government programs, such as welfare. etc...
I think they came up with around 2000 ways......but it never got anywhere, because the banking cartels wouldn't allow it.
I believe ANY nation will lose its' "calibur" when private banks are priniting their money. With the hijacking of our economy, 1913 and the "secret" birth of the FED is my answer.....

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I guess I would have to say when the internet age came to life. This has enabled to receive news faster, research things that would have taken longer without the internet, and gave us the ability to share our findings with the world.

Imagine just what you have learned on this site. How long would it have taken to learn so much without the internet?

The US is finding it harder to hide the consequences of its policies.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
I think that from the years 1920 to 1970, more or less, America was the best nation on Earth.

Wishful thinking at its brilliant best. The US came unto itself when it FINALLY decided to assist Europe in beating of the Nazi, Rising Sun scourge - although at a cost to Europe which has only recently been paid off - yanks wouldn't lift a finger for anyone if they weren't going to make a buck from it.

There support for the UN and the Marshall plan were both seen as placing the US as a humanitarian peace loving nation.

The rot started setting in during vietnam, nicaragua, guatamela, American Fruit company, and then really started going mouldy with Ronald Reagan. The soviets repeatedly offered peace terms and non proliferation pacts - however the US refused as they believed they could destroy the USSR and communism through economic measures - this was a disgraceful act and totally uncalled for - and served to highlight the paranoid driven anxiety of the US.

Clinton brought a new age of respect around the globe as he sought to restore neo liberal institutional reforms - fiscal responsibility and reign in rampant militarism - all of which was undone, and the clock rolled back almost 50 years by the Bush team.

The problem of MADE IN CHINA is understandable - this has happened in every country and flourished under Clinton - for me I prefer the idea of my population having better, high skilled high paid jobs than sitting in factories - whilest providingi us with access to low cost goods - i despise the impact on the environment and rampant consumerism it also brings. The Chinese are not your enemies - they are your neighbours - the Americans are their own worst enemies - the US defines itself rom that whichi is external - communism, russia, terrorists, etc. All other nations define themselves from within.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
Well I personally still love this country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I also believe that as bad as things are here, they are worse elsewhere.

Examples:

While our economy is suffering, Europe is in much worse shape right now. Their production and GDP have been more severely affected by the global collapse than we have.

We still have what seems to be freedoms that have evaporated in Europe and never existed in other places like China, e.g. freedom of speech. Here in the Good ol' USA, if you want to be a racist and call some one the N word or deny the holocaust, you can be as offensive as you want. In Europe, you can go to prison for voicing these types of racist beliefs.

If you think the US is bad with respect to wire taps and the such, try the UK. There is no privacy in the UK between all the cameras and other intrusive behavior by the government.

That being said, this country is undeniably on the wrong track. In my opinion, the decline started when Bush the II was appointed illegally by the hacks on the Supreme Court, and has continued with the election of a man who hates what America stands for to the presidency in Obama. Bush almost destroyed this country in eight years, and now Obama is finishing the job.

No your economy is far worse than most countries in europe - England is in a bad way but nothing compares to the US - you have completely gutted your middle class, manufacturing etc. You are in debt beyond all imagination and projections by considered economists such as stiglitz put you on the road to total bankruptcy within 40 years.

You have 11 trillion dollar debt with 42 trillion in unsecured obligations (money you will owe). This means to simply service your debt you will basically be able to afford road maintenance and thats about it.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I wouldn't call it the "best" nation on earth. Ever since America was first founded and established there has been many genocidal leaders and generals leading the country.

I'd call it a "normal" country because that's what they all are: NORMAL. There's no exception.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

Where have you been, what country do you live in?? LOL.

Actually, America (the US) IS FAR ahead of all other countries in the world and will be as far into the future as we can see or at least a hundred years. Americans have never and will never realize this for as a nation we lack confidence, act rather childish and tend to over react to everything.

We have an economy several times larger that our nearest competitor (Japan). We have by far the largest military, especially the Navy and we control all the world's oceans. Noone can do commerce without our approval. We dominate space, the coming frontier for military activities. Hollywood is the heart of the worlds entertainment industry. The US is the largest and most important innovator in the world and will be into the future.

We are apologetic for all these things and refuse to believe them to be true but facts don't lie, we are in a dominate leadership position which the rest of the world will always resent, always resist but will alway have to allow for and work with (or around)! LOL.

The EU is larger economically than US - the US is entirely dependent on the EU for all forms of trade and with Asian Union fast becoming bigger than the EU than the EU that leaves your union about 3rd.

Your comments on technology and space supremacy are also misguided with the French and russians being the major commercial launch nations.

The Germans, English, Israelis and even Australians easily compete on many fronts with biotech, nano tech, and all forms of non military tech.

Electronics are completely out the US hands.

This is not the eighties.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I know the USA is the best country to live in. I have traveled a little in Europe and Mexico and know that we have a great freedom here.

I am not a sheeple but I do know that our Government, wether it be Republican or Democratic led will make unpopular decisions for the best interest of National Security. Fortunately or unfortunately we are not always aware of why certain decisions are made. I am also aware that there is corruption with power but we have a great check and balance system in place in the USA. The rich are powerful but we have the freedom to challenge those that cross the line.

The freedom to call out the corrupt rich will most likely get you killed in some other countries.

We must be alert and wise and use our freedom of speach, voting and assembly whenever necessary. These are our rights provided to us at the birth of this great nation.

edit for spelling

[edit on 16-4-2009 by fworkman]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I guess I would have to say when the internet age came to life. This has enabled to receive news faster, research things that would have taken longer without the internet, and gave us the ability to share our findings with the world.

Imagine just what you have learned on this site. How long would it have taken to learn so much without the internet?

The US is finding it harder to hide the consequences of its policies.

The people of the world know full well your actions without the internet. The US has had direct military action in well over 100 countries since the second world war (washington state university, gore vidal and "Nemesis").

Perhaps it is finally Americans who are becoming aware of their own nefarious ways.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

America was never the best country and never will be im afraid - with all due respect it has always lagged behind on almost all issues important to the rest of the world - you dont even look after your own citizens medically unless they pay.... for example

your citizens got loads of help with hurricane katrina, for example.... oh no, hang on.......

you pilfer the world and declare wars on people for less than noble reasons shall we say, and much evidence 'suggests' that america is the bully of the world.

A lot of ideas and tech credited to america infact, with investigation, seems to suggest they pilfer and steal what they want then claim it as your own.....

Technologically, your not ahead - your behind on some things - Japan, UK, Europe in general all advance things faster than you do - Japan in particular - they are approximately 10 years in advance of you on most technologies, though not all its true.

Dont get me wrong, every other country in the world has its issues - noone is perfect.... but to say america is the best is down right naive, in my opinion.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Quadraphobe]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

You asked so I shall give you my biased opinion. To become the World's leading country you must know how to lead. When obama was elected we lost our spot as the World's leading country. obama may be a good speaker but I believe it is not his words but the NWO's words written by speech writters and read off a teleprompter by him. I believe this is why obama brought in many of the Clinton Administration's staff because he had only been a community organizer and a senator a short time and was not sure of himself.

We have a Constitution we are suppose to go by and follow in The United States Of America and it is apparent the obama administration does not go by the Constitution that our forefathers had so meticulously constructed down on paper over 200 years ago.

Most will say the U.S. lost it's lead before obama came into power in fact many will say we lost our spot as the World's leading country under George W. Bush. To lead you must know how to lead and we as a Nation do not have four years for someone to learn by on the job training on how to lead our country as to keep our status as a leading nation.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

reply to post by finemanm

You're right. And what we are experiencing right now is but a mear ripple in the overall economy. In 10 or 15 years we will barely remember what happened back in 2009 just like we have forgotten how bad things were back in the Carter years with hyperinflation, stagflation, high interest rates, gas shortages and businesses going belly up!

The Barack Obama recession with accompanying multitrillions of debt is the largest by far that we have ever seen. However because of the strength of the American economy the Obama debt burden is sustainable and something we can deal with.

Regretably the current and following generations will have to face increased taxation in order to pay back the debt and will be doing it at a time when the largest, biggest money making generation, the boomers is dieing off and the US population is decreasing because of decreasing birth rate and imigration. Future generation will soon be searching for workers and taxpayers!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

The people of the world know full well your actions without the internet. The US has had direct military action in well over 100 countries since the second world war

Please, the people of the world were hardly aware of the intentions of their own government, much less ours. Military action is just part of a country's policy. And IMO not all of our military engagement has been for the worse.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I have always believed the downturn of our great country began when mothers began working outside the home. Now, before flaming me, hear me out. I am not being chauvinistic. I have a great respect and admiration for stay at home mothers and the difficut job they do.

Whether it was caused by the increased cost of living, the increased desire for stuff or increased taxation, the decrease in adult supervision has been devastating to the family unit. I believe it can be blamed for so many of society's ills, ie. increased crime and violence, lack of respect for others, lack of personal responsibility, increased divorce rate, increased abandonment of families by a parent, decreased work ethics, etc. Basically, it caused a loss of family values.

Our family values reflect on our societal values, which is the face of America, as seen by other countries. We used to be respected and revered by them, because we stood together and were proud to be Americans. Not so much, anymore, I think. It's unfortunate.

I'm just glad I've still got the right to be wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join