It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama publishes 'Torture' Memos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Obama publishes 'Torture' Memos

news.bbc.co.uk

The US has published four secret memos detailing legal justification for the Bush-era CIA interrogation programme.

President Obama has also issued a statement guaranteeing that no CIA employees will be prosecuted for their role in the interrogation programme.

Some in the CIA wanted parts of the memos to be blacked out, fearing full disclosure could trigger lawsuits against agents, reports suggest.

The release of the memos stems from a request by... the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well, well, well - this makes for interesting reading...

Three of the documents were written in May 2005 by the then acting head of the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel (OLC), Stephen G. Bradbury.

They gave legal support for the combined use of various coercive techniques, and concluded that the CIA's methods were not "cruel, inhuman or degrading" under international law.

The fourth document, dating from 1 August 2002, was written by OLC lawyer John Yoo and signed by his colleague Jay Bybee.
It contained legal authorisation for a list of specific harsh interrogation techniques...

...Those who carried out their duties relying in good faith upon legal advice from the Department of Justice... will not be subject to prosecution.
Barack Obama

Does anyone doubt such 'advice' amounted to anything less than a tell-us-what-we-want-to-hear nod and a wink? Who cares about international law or human rights when they get in the way of getting the job done?

Except it's all a bit reminiscent of the shadiest governments on the planet.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I did a thread on the same story, didn't see this in the search, oh well.

I'm starting to think, it's only the bad Obama news that gets much attention, most of it bogus or disinfo, there was a thread a few days back, entitled Obama wont release torture memo's or something like that, but seems I can't find it now.

Anyhow, IMO this is just what most people were hoping was going to happen, I don't see how he could give Bush a pardon now these have been released, to give a pardon, and then try and prosecute the Lawyers would be about the worst thing I could imagine happening, I understand the statement saying those who carried out this torture wouldn't face prosecution, after all you can't charge Soldiers for fighting a War with murdering enemy Soldiers.

If the rules where bent as I have been hearing today in interviews, then it needs to come out, just how deep does this bending of Law go?

In a radio interview on BBC Radio 4 this morning, an American Lawyer said, it was an interpretation of International law, saying it was ok for instance, to put someone in a box, with insects, as long as the insect is not poisonous or could cause harm or death to the Prisoner, I wasn't sure if I heard right however, I thought he said the Prisoners had to be informed the insects were not a danger to them.

He also went on to say, this was a mistake, because the Enemy combatants (Terrorists) would now be trained to survive this treatment, and it would be useless in the future, as I pointed out in my thread, to hide it IMO would give a clear intention to do it again, and I really don't care who trains who to survive what, if they get away with this, then as many on this very site are scared of, it will happen to us, this has to be blown wide open, and convictions sought , not just for our protection, but for the protection of our troops and anyone else caught up in this nightmare, turn a blind eye, and we can't complain if it does happen to them or us.

If comments do come, I really am interested to see others opinions, because in this sick World, this could easily be turned on us, especially if rumours of camps do turn out to be true, it should never have been allowed to happen, of course it always has to some extent, I don't condone it at all, but has at one time or another been done to prevent even worse atrocities than 911 I'm sure of it, but to do it in the face of everyone with a total I don't care attitude, well that's just plain scary.

I dread to think what we would all be doing if Bush had found a way to stay in office, but we also have to not become complacent, that the current Admin, is not just buttering everyone up, because they miscalculated public attitudes towards the last 7 years, and the same goes for Britain also, this is a time when nobody can let their guard drop, Britain changed Prime Minister, and now America has a new President, we need to make sure we are not being blind sided with false promises.

Over all my stress level has dropped since January, but I still have plans B C D and however many more I need to keep my Family safe, just in case we need to do a runner away from civilisation, IMO Obama is keeping promises, now we just need to stop the good being hijacked into Revolution before he gets a chance, I don't see at the moment many people falling for the anti Obama fascists propaganda, I just see a few trying to tell everyone he is going to take all their money, and their businesses, I never was a big Chuck Norris fan either, he always comes across as cheesy to me, with the acting talent of a once a week local theatre group, I certainly don't see him as a President of anywhere, just "MY OPINION".

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Wow, that was a very wide-sweeping analysis. Many thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

All I can say is I have no political agenda. I just see a simple principle at work: respect human rights and international law yourself and you'll have moral authority when it comes to dealing with corrupt, ruthless regimes abroad. Ignore this principle, and not only will you effectively be open to ridicule when it comes to discussing human rights - you will inevitably be opening the door to increased maltreatment of your own POWs both in terms of frequency and severity.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
From the source:

"It contained legal authorisation for a list of specific harsh interrogation techniques, including pushing detainees against a wall, facial slaps, cramped confinement, stress positions and sleep deprivation."

Hmmmm....sounds like when I went thru SERE school.

new topics

top topics

join