It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Targets Mexican Cartels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

www.truthout.org

Sanctions imposed; US firms warned.

President Obama yesterday ratcheted up efforts to curb the flow of drugs and guns across the southern border, imposing financial sanctions against three of the most violent Mexican drug cartels and threatening to prosecute Americans who do business with them.

On the eve of his summit with Mexican President Felipe Calderón today, Obama added the cartels to the list of banned foreign "drug kingpins," a move that empowers the federal government to seize their assets, estimated to be in the billions of dollars. It also allows the government to seek criminal penalties against U.S. firms or individuals who provide weapons, launder money or transport drugs or cash for the organizations.

By targeting the cartels -- Sinaloa, Los Zetas and La Familia Michoacana -- the administration expanded its support for Calderón's crackdown on the narco-traffickers, an effort that has provoked a violent backlash and led to thousands of deaths in the past two years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well I am glad to see that Obama is doing something about this issue. This is a major problem and its coming from our southern neighbor. I don't quite understand all of this or what it means completely but I think its a step in the right direction. Something most definitely has to be done about Mexico's rising violence rates.

www.truthout.org

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Until I see captures, arrests, halts in drug crime.

This is all lip service to me.

So he put them on a List. Ooooh, I bet their real scared now.

Then obama expands his support for Calderon, ok well, is that it, your just a cheerleader mister O.

Why not just do the reasonable thing, increase border security, quit sending people to prison for life because they stopped a repeated felon drug trafficker. Who was later released and allowed to testify against US citizens.

Maybe finishing building the fence instead of saying it cost to much, I mean anyone else think that some of that 786 BILLION DOLLARS could of gone to maybe keeping america ya know safe.

But instead all their going to do is

1. Blame America.
2. Blame America some more.
3. Cheer on Calderon.
4. Give money to what seems to be a corrupt military.
5. Sh, sleep, and eat.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I want to give kudos to Obama for deciding to take this on, BUT something tells me he is just saying it because people want to hear him say it. I hope he means it but he may, yet again, be is trying to say the popular thing with the common folk.

Regardless of whether he means it or not, he may have just sealed his fate.
He may smoke out the Mexican and American politicians that are involved in this drug trade, but it may cost him dearly.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Mexico, will beg for more money, Obama, will give it to him, a High (speculating) profile name will be caught some baddy, he'll get replaced,,, wash, cycle, rinse, same problem will remain.. Sleep, eat, follow the program, will remain, until borders are blocked, and drugs are confiscated, whether we like it or not, no matter how desirable it will be, this issue will remain, until hard choices are made, and things and done different.. Same ole, same ole, here in my perspective, just glad its not in my World...

Solution to the drug problem, coming in from Mexico....

BIG WALL, armed soldiers using technology to find bad drugs.

then getting rid of all illegal people HERE...

WOW, that sounds so hard..

My opinion, as long as the drug cartels make money,
it wont go away. Cuz their all making money when they are..

to many rich people like their drugs. Always will, always have...

Fixing the problem sounds like a stimulus, idea, get some people sitting on their duffs collecting unemployment, to build a wall, then hire some vets, to be armed sentry's to guard that wall, WILL by ten folds lower the DRUG trade in AMERICA, 5 percent perhaps would be brided but it would slow and dismantle such a drug business. WOW, that easy, but uh.. Nah, they don't wanna fix this.. To much money...

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Adrifter]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A wall won't help much if they're tunneling beneath it.
The majority of the drugs are brought into the USA via our very own CIA and continue to keep the elite (Bush Family and others) very wealthy.
These Mexican cartels are only fleas that feed on elitist's already huge profits and hence as to why they're receiving the media sponsored War on Drugs.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Isn't Al-qeada and the Taliban on the same list, yet they still seem to be alive and kicking?

I'm sure the cartels will move their money to banks in Venezuela. Problem solved.

If Obama really wants to take on the cartels, he should find ways to dramatically lower US dependency on illegal drugs.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Geesh, any american? I wonder how obama would stand up against the CIA and its well known drug busioness...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
From the OP's link

www.truthout.org...

"...imposing financial sanctions against three of the most violent Mexican drug cartels and threatening to prosecute Americans who do business with them."

This seems to imply that the U.S. Government previously allowed the Mexican Cartels, prior to yesterday's announcement of this apparently new policy, to operate their 'businesses' in the U.S. without opposition from U.S. authorities.

How does one impose financial sanctions against an already supposedly illegal operation?

Perhaps Wall Street has been cut-out, or was never able to acquire, the Mexican Cartels' money-laundering business.

U.S.- "If you do not let our criminal Banksters launder it, then we'll try and confiscate it".

""The key issue right now is, how can the United States help to shut down those guns and shut down that bulk cash that is providing the drug syndicates in Mexico with the wherewithal to corrupt, to bribe, to kill?"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.truthout.org...

Simple: Legalization of all drugs, not just the most deadly ones - legal pharmaceuticals.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The quickest way to eliminate the drug cartels would be to legalize drugs.

I do not advocate the use of drugs.

Currently, all that the law enforcement efforts do is to hold up the price of "illegal" drugs.

If all drugs were legal, the price would plummet. There would be no profit in smuggling drugs into our country.

We could put about 20% of the money that we spend on law enforcement to enforce our current prohibition on "illegal" drugs into drug treatment programs and provide education to all our children.

No one sets out to be a junkie.

Let's take the profit motive out of the "illegal" drug trade since all "illegal" drugs seem to be available to just about anyone anywhere.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

The majority of the drugs are brought into the USA via our very own CIA and continue to keep the elite (Bush Family and others) very wealthy.

And you don't think Obama wants a slice of that pie?

He has already made Million$ on two crises that have defined modern day America.

1 - the economic crisis, he received a wealthy chunk from AIG.
2 - the housing financial crisis, he received lots more from Fannie and Freddy.

The drug crisis will make number 3

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
IT kinda does have soe positivity, legalizing drugs..( not a drug user here), but i have known people, especially when i was yoner, mid to late teens, that WOULD have done anyting just to do it..and some of those drugs, can have abd side effects. When i was 15, a freind at school, (new frineed) one night too shroomz, and had a bad trip. It took 7 of his freinds to hold him down, as he was seing giant spiders, elfs attacking him. Destroyed his parents living room in paranoid crazed rage, tv set thrown out the window...last i heard fo him(this was 1990) he was in mental hospitol, it did permanent damage to his brain.
Heroin, is very addicitve. Cocoaine makes people especially women, horny..i can totaly foresee further populated spread of STD's, HIV and AIDS thier. Most drugs, dont keep yuo in reality..they eitehr tkae yr mind to another world, which CAN fall in on you, or are party drugs, or rape drugs aka exstacy, specail k.
I dont think legalizing drugs is the answer...unless governemnt wants us dumbed down that much lol.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Adrifter

yea, I agree with you... If we were to hire a private a civilian border protection and security force we could easily help this problem out. Marijuana legalization would also be huge or even decriminalization. The harder drugs will always be a problem and I am not sure if there is anyway to fix that. The CIA also has their hands in on the drug trade.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FewWorldOrder

This is what I was refering to that I did not completely understand... If anyone could shed some light on what that exactly means I would appreciate it... Impose sanctions on Mexico's drug cartels and prosecute any Americans who assist them????

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

I Slightly disagree, Heroin is a terrible drug, I myself being a recovering Heroin addict, almost eight months clean have seen a bunch of people, some friends some associates die from overdose and drug related violence. While sure it would eliminate some of the violence it would most certainly not limit the overdoses as it would more pure and much more widely available.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FewWorldOrder

Exactly right. Obama knows the score - billions of dollars in drug money tied up in our economy through our zombie banks -- the CIA/DEA caught shipping it in -- it's not going to work anymore.

The spell is broken and the people are not going to submit to this tyranny any longer.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish

www.truthout.org

Sanctions imposed; US firms warned.

President Obama yesterday ratcheted up efforts to curb the flow of drugs and guns across the southern border, imposing financial sanctions against three of the most violent Mexican drug cartels and threatening to prosecute Americans who do business with them.

On the eve of his summit with Mexican President Felipe Calderón today, Obama added the cartels to the list of banned foreign "drug kingpins," a move that empowers the federal government to seize their assets, estimated to be in the billions of dollars. It also allows the government to seek criminal penalties against U.S. firms or individuals who provide weapons, launder money or transport drugs or cash for the organizations.

By targeting the cartels -- Sinaloa, Los Zetas and La Familia Michoacana -- the administration expanded its support for Calderón's crackdown on the narco-traffickers, an effort that has provoked a violent backlash and led to thousands of deaths in the past two years.

Holy crap, seen the title and thought he was finally legalizing drugs so that all of these cartels would crumble over night. But hes not.

Sooo, everyone get ready for yet another spectacular failure of policy! YAY!

or rape drugs aka exstacy, specail k.

Rape drug? Ecstasy is a rape drug? Hmm.. hieghtened senses, and speedy behavior, definitely spells incoherent passed out rape to me as well.. sigh.

I Slightly disagree, Heroin is a terrible drug, I myself being a recovering Heroin addict, almost eight months clean have seen a bunch of people, some friends some associates die from overdose and drug related violence. While sure it would eliminate some of the violence it would most certainly not limit the overdoses as it would more pure and much more widely available.

Congrats on cleaning up! But, as a first hand witness, how can you say that the deregulated market in which you and your friends (some of which overdosed) got their drugs, is safer than a regulated market in which purity can be known versus the unknown of a street corner dealer? Not to mention, in their stride for profit, dealers often cut most hard drugs with sometimes terrible cutting agents.

Additionally, I think overdoses mainly become a problem when a user is used to how powerful their drug is. They then get it from someone else, or the dealer gets a higher grade of the drug, the user feeling that they know the potency of the drug, does the same amount... only to be discovered dead.

Back to the rape comment, and to get you more on track to what the hell you were trying to say, you were most likely referring to GHB thats the "date-rape drug".

The man who first synthesized GHB for use as a safe sleep AID attributed it to being the most important thing he had worked on his life, only being surpassed by his creation of a Schizophrenia drug. It wasn't until GHB was used once to rape a girl that it became a date rape drug.

But just because something is used to put a girl to sleep to be raped, does it make it illegal? Cause I am sure 6 tylenol PM's would achieve the same purpose.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by king9072]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Exactly, Hillary even admitted that the drug policies are complete failures yet we continue do the same things. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
its pretty apparent that the majority of us citizens dont have the cojanes to do what it takes to win any war.

the us miltary knows what it takes
us politicians dont
just depends on whichever way the politcal winds blows.

thing is no matter whose in power the us will always have enemies,always will need to fight a "waR" the only thing that changes are the names they are called.

legalizing drugs is the biggest bunch of bs i have ever heard. we will still have all the same freaking problems only a million fold

whats next adding heroin,marajuana,coc aine to medicare

[edit on 16-4-2009 by neo67]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish
reply to post by king9072

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

No, actually the definition of insanity is:

in·san·i·ty (n-sn-t)
n.
1. Persistent mental disorder or derangement. Not in scientific use.
2. Unsoundness of mind sufficient in the judgment of a civil court to render a person unfit to maintain a contractual or other legal relationship or to warrant commitment to a mental health facility.
3. In most criminal jurisdictions, a degree of mental malfunctioning considered to be sufficient to relieve the accused of legal responsibility for the act committed.

The definition you stated is attributed to the Mystery writer - Rita Mae Brown.

I actually agree with you that it is Insane, but always wanted to answer someone on that question of the insanity definition - mainly because I can be an intolerable smart ass sometimes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join