It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorism, kidnapping among top fears for today's youth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Terrorism, kidnapping among top fears for today's youth

www.cnn.com

A study on more than 1,000 children and adolescents in grades 2 through 12 found that some of the 20 most common fears include "terrorist attacks," "having to fight in a war," "drive-by shootings," "tornadoes/hurricanes" and "drowning/swimming in deep water," based on self-reports of how scary each of 98 events or concepts seems. The study was published in a recent issue of the Journal of Counseling and Development.

TOP FEARS BY AGE
Ages 7-10
1. Being kidnapped
2. Myself dying
3. AIDS
4. Not being able to breathe
5. Being threatened with a gun
Ages 11-14
1. AIDS
2. Not being able to breathe
3. Being kidnapped
4. Being raped
5. Being threatened with a gun
Ages 15-18
1. AIDS
2. Being raped
3. Not being able to breathe
4. Being threatened with a gun
5. Myself dying
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i find it kinda funny that kids are more worried about terrorist attacks or being kidnapped then simply dying in a car accident.

here are the top 5 ways kids do die
www.npr.org...

1. Road crashes: Kill 260,000 children a year and injure about 10 million. They are the leading cause of death among youths ages 10 to 19, and a leading cause of child disability.

2. Drowning: Kills more than 175,000 children annually. Up to 3 million children each year survive a drowning incident. Due to brain damage in some survivors, nonfatal drowning has the highest average lifetime health and economic impact of any type of injury.

3. Burns: Fire-related burns kill nearly 96,000 children a year, and the death rate is 11 times higher in low- and middle-income countries than in high-income countries.

4. Falls: Nearly 47,000 children fall to their deaths every year, but hundreds of thousands more sustain less serious injuries from a fall.

5. Poisoning: More than 45,000 children die each year from unintended poisoning.

best stats i could find. couldnt find us only stats.
drive safe and defensive kids and never ever drink and drive.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If I was a kid, my #1 fear would be of some nut-job psychology person coming in to ask me what my fears are....

[edit on 16-4-2009 by mkultraangel]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So the real question is: Is this just another step in the brainwashing process, to convince parents that these fears are real; or, have we succeeded in fearmongering our children to the point where they are truly afraid of these very INTANGIBLE things?

[edit on 4/16/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
How can a bunch of 7 year-olds be afraid of AIDS?

Do they even understand how they would contract AIDS or what it even is?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

"terrorist attacks," "having to fight in a war," "drive-by shootings,"

Well, children are watching too much TV. Those results are obviously media driven since terrorists attacks are non-existant, having to fight in a war too if you don't enlist and the whole hyped up drive-by shootings...

Those irrational fears are coming from TV mass brainwashing.

Yep and AIDS... what a joke, like a 7 years old understand how you get it....

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well the MSM (and the sources that feed them) must be patting themselves on the back right now. Seems that their BS is taking root.

Every generation looks to the following generation with a mixture of fear and disgust, I'm sure; but what a nation of numbskulls, pansies, and losers we are building. I guess our fat, lazy, brainwashed kids will make for a smooth and pain-free transition into tyranny. Makes me glad I don't have kids of my own.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkultraangel
If I was a kid, my #1 fear would be of some not-job psychology person coming in to ask me what my fears are....

I was thinking the same thing, especially for the age group of children starting at 7!

It's insane to ask a 7 year old this question, despicable, even. Let a kid be a kid for goodness sakes!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Yes this seems like an agenda, because I can tell you from experience that the biggest fears from kids 7-11 are

ghosts
vampires
zombies
etc....

In essence kids that young seem to be more scared of things that are not even real...like kids that young are even really aware of AIDS? what are these kids supposedly tuning into now Fox News now instead of Cartoon Network?

edit to say---ok maybe ghosts and zombies are real, but I'm not getting into that

[edit on 16-4-2009 by mkultraangel]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
So the real question is: Is this just another step in the brainwashing process, to convince parents that these fears are real; or, have we succeeded in fearmongering our children to the point where they are truly afraid of these very INTANGIBLE things?

[edit on 4/16/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

Yup yup yup. Kids these days are told to be afraid of things that they can't even understand, (hell, a lot of grown adults don't even understand a lot of these) and everything is just fed to them by the MSM so that everyone can grow up all nice and scared and willing to do anything anyone with authority tells them to.

How can a bunch of 7 year-olds be afraid of AIDS? Do they even understand how they would contract AIDS or what it even is?

Listen children, AIDS is bad, m'kay?

The horror...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Then we need to talk to our kids about Everything!!!!
Mine is 13 and his biggest fear is a Mad Max situation....
Ergo..his future.
We do not watch alot of tele and discuss news and its varied sources daily.
So he goes to the high school today with the rest of his class for a trial day..and while they are there...a bomb scare!!! Evacuated the school for all for the remainder of the day.
Geez.........
Dinner conversation is going to be a challenge this eve.

Back on topic.....Talk to the kids about everything in as much truthfullness as can be mustered. Do not let your adult fear be
too prominent. Be cool, open, honest and sincere with everything said to our
future kings and queens of the world!!
Love yourself enough to love them even more!!

Peace.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Was this multiple choice or something? Theyre all the same.

Whoever asked some 11 year old kid if their afraid of being raped should be slapped. Was "being raped" on the 7-10 year olds little sheet too but just didnt get enough replies?

Mommy what does 'being raped' mean?

Sometimes I think all of these child welfare and child psych groups and institutions are going out of their way to mess up kids heads.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
How can a bunch of 7 year-olds be afraid of AIDS?

Do they even understand how they would contract AIDS or what it even is?

Fear thrives in the absence of understanding .
They take their cues from adults and the media .

The fear of being kidnapped has probably been with 7-10 year olds for thousands of years.
Who could forget mothers warning .. Don`t talk to strangers !

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
it would have been nice to see stuff like failure or government on the list.

i remember being afraid of the cold war when i was a little kid. i didnt understand what weather had to do with war but i knew to be afraid.

kidnapping was also a big fear instilled in me and my peers when we were under 10. it was around the time of johhny gosh and considering he was my aunts paperboy at the time, my mom made sure i was scared of strangers.
i miss the days of the houses with blue stars in the windows so you knew a safe house to run to incase someone was trying to abduct you.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is interesting because I'd never have thought of AIDS. I wonder what options they were given? Possibly only those 5 shown? Even so it seems - from a UK perspective - quite bizarre. Has there been widespread TV advertising about AIDS in the US recently?

In my day I guess nuclear war would have been well up there. AIDS and rape wouldn't even have had a look in. Death of parents would have been my guess for top slot.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

i remember being afraid of the cold war when i was a little kid. i didnt understand what weather had to do with war but i knew to be afraid.

innocence lost .

kidnapping was also a big fear instilled in me and my peers when we were under 10. it was around the time of johhny gosh and considering he was my aunts paperboy at the time, my mom made sure i was scared of strangers.

The game of hide and seek is played by children all over the world , scientist speculate as to whether we have taught it to our children going back to the origins of man . Just like in the animal kingdom , vulnerable young were hidden from predators.

i miss the days of the houses with blue stars in the windows so you knew a safe house to run to incase someone was trying to abduct you.

..... was this some kind of "abduction awareness" program or just your neighbourhood .

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

..... was this some kind of "abduction awareness" program or just your neighbourhood .

it was a city wide program in a town of 25,000. you could find a 'safe house' on every block almost especially around schools.

i lived 150 miles from des moines and this all started after johnny gosch was abducted.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
[edit on 2009/4/16 by Aeons]

top topics

join