It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passion' to get one-time only showing in Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Jewish, Christian clergy to hold discussion after screening

JERUSALEM - An Israeli movie theater plans to screen Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ," a decision likely to raise an uproar in the Jewish state over accusations the movie is anti-Semitic.

The Tel Aviv Cinematheque is in final negotiations with Gibson's production company for a one-time showing of the film in Israel, probably in a few months, cinema manager Alon Garbuz said.

The release of the movie in the United States sparked a debate over whether Jews bore responsibility for Jesus' Crucifixion. Rabbis in the United States warned that the film would fuel anti-Semitism.

Angry Jewish reaction prompted the Vatican to reiterate its stance that Jews were not collectively responsible for Jesus' persecution. Gibson has said he didn't mean to portray Jews in a damaging light, and was only trying to depict the New Testament as it was written...

Source Link:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just watched this movie today for the first time.

I have to wonder why the Israelis are so afraid of this movie.

I thought it was a great movie.

I am not a religous man, but I found this movie and story very moving... It was a feeling I don't remember ever having while watching a movie.

Rather you believe Jesus was just a man or was actually the son of god, I believe given the written records of what happened to this man, this movie was accurate.

So why are Israeli jews today so worried about the events shown in this movie?

I did not see anything anti-semitic in it at all.

Did I miss something?

Gazz

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
No. You did not miss anything. But then again, you're not Jewish. I think it was extremely accurate. And I DO have spiritual beliefs concerning it. And I'm not sure it wasn't inspired. It was awesome.

BUT, the Jewish people's perception of what is being portrayed here (which is in accordance with the Gospels) is skewed. The High Priest Caiphas and the certain Sanhedrin who were involved in this are not representative of all the Jews alive then - and especially not NOW.

They need to get over it. I don't remember the English railing accusations against Gibson that he was "anti-English" or that he cast all English rulers in a bad light when he made Braveheart.

He told a story as it is recorded. Take your lumps and move on. I think the lady protests WAY too much.

[Edited on 4-23-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
No, this movie isn't outright anti-semitic, it will, although, give more fuel to any exesting bigotry to the Jewish people. If a man who already has anti-Jewish ideas, watching this movie has a perfect oppertunity to turn thoughts into actions. I have seen this move, it didn't change my mind, but I cannot say that if I had anti-semitic ideas already I could say this.

but I'll also ask you a question origanaly asked by a friend, if this wasn't about Jesus, if it was about any other of the masses of men crusified by the romans would you, and the media still say how "moving and enlightining" this movie is?

To quote South Park, "Dude, It's a feakin' Snuff Film," the only reson people like it is that they feel guilted by the Brainwashed masses to say that deep down, when you really think about it, THIS MOVIE SUCKS!

but that's just one man's idea, Fundies flame away, I can take any thing you can throw, I've heard them all

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nah, there's no reason to flame. That's your opinion.

Here's mine: It was not an "emotional" experience. It was a thought-provoking experience based on the spiritual beliefs I went into it with. Based on those beliefs, I felt the movie was an awesome depiction of the events recorded in the Gospels.

Now, I can't imagine even going to see this movie if I didn't have a spiritual reason to do so.

It was not for entertainment...that's certain.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I don't remember the English railing accusations against Gibson that he was "anti-English" or that he cast all English rulers in a bad light when he made Braveheart.
Actually, I do seem to remember some Englishmen complaining about that.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
LOL

I missed that one!

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well, to be perfectly honest. I feel the movie had (on me atleast) the opposite effect.

the movie also show alot of the jews who apposed the idea of arresting Jesus. I remember where those who apposed the vote was thrown out of the proceedings.

Before I converted to Catholic Christianity I was a messed up youth, and I was envolved with groups like the Aryan Brotherhood and Afrikaaner Weerstands Beweging. All I had in my life was hate.

And as such , I think I would know when something is anti-jewish. And I can honestly say - Its the exact opposite, you actually feel sorry for the jews for not realizing their saviour was among them.

If you walk out of that theater feeling malice toward the jews, go back and see the movie again, its obvious you where not watching!

Regard

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Just when I thought the hype about the movie was over, it starts up again.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It didn't seem at all anti-jewish to me

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
OpusDei:

The Jews don't need you to feel sorry for them. If anything I fell sorry for you, it seems you've moved from one hate group, the aryan brother hood, to another, Catholics.

P.S.
I don't mean to offend, but EVERY FREAKIN' CATHOLIC I'VE KNOWN has tried to:
a) "save my soul from hell" or "Show me the light"
or
b) used a mix of slurs and/or threats and/or guilt to convert others.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
hey i've just turned a catholic

shirtNinjawhy the ranting??you know what you need??
A big hug!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sorry, I've been in a bad mood, spiritualy wise atleast, for the past week. Some A-hole fundie called a buddy of mine a bunch of names and went into a rant on "the evil faths."

I typed before I could really think, sorry

NO HUGS!

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
*sighs* well i tried....*runs towards valhall for a hug*

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
My sincere apologies if I have offended you Shirtninja.
I may have used the wrong words to describe the feeling I feel when I watch the movie. I should rather say my heart goes out to them.

As to hating the jews, it will be pretty hard to hate them since I found out about a jear ago my mothers biological mother was jewish. And since you get jewishness from your mother, it means strictly speaking I'm jewish.
(good thing I found that out after I left the hate groups, I perish to think what those mad buggers whould have done to me! )

I'm really sorry if I have offended you, it really was not my aim or purpose to offend anyone.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
D'OH! now I fell like a total ass.

sorry man

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Agg man, I already forgot what the problem was.

What was it again, by the way?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I watched the movie and loved it, I would watch it again and again and again....it isn't anti-semitic, it's truth.

Oh, by the way if a Christian degrades you or your friends in any way, quote Paul in Romans where he says that when you judge someone you then come under judgement.
I use that one when I'm told I'm not a christian because I smoke or swear or screw up. They can't argue with that one.

new topics

top topics

join