It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants to build a nationwide light rail system

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vyrtigo

Its not a rumor its a fact. It is not like I said he is sleeping with his sister or something. It is relevent because if he builds it we all have to pay for it.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Lets say I agree with you (which I dont). So if we go ahead and build this what do you think it is going to cost? If it cost $520 million to build a ten mile long rail system then what is it going to cost to build one that is a nationwide network? Plus add in bailouts for the airlines because you just cut into their business and unemployment for the pilots, etc...

So just ballpark a cost for this project.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
reply to post by Vyrtigo

Its not a rumor its a fact. It is not like I said he is sleeping with his sister or something. It is relevent because if he builds it we all have to pay for it.

Who gives a #? WHats with all the whining? if you're bored, find something more constructive to do with yourself.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Stupid lazy people are good for corporate profits because they make good sheople. It's not that hard to figure out.

Did you ever read my original post here?

What ever high speed rail system we build should be something innovative, something where people see whole new industries developing. Why couldn't we have a high speed rail system where people own their personal rail cars that can travel independently where ever they desire to go.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Develop a rail system where you can park your own rail car at your house, program where and when you want to go anywhere, and travel the system without having to drive. We have the technology, why not build such a system.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

You are kidding right? You are going to build a rail line to every house in the country. I guess our benevolent government is going to give us our own rail car. Do you know GM has developed technology to do this with cars and trucks and you could use the existing highway system? Maybe instead of bailing their sorry butts out we should just demand they kick out the unions and then we can buy this tech from them.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Do you honestly believe that we can spend all the money we want and there wont be any inflation or that our currency wont collapse?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Stupid lazy people are good for corporate profits because they make good sheople. It's not that hard to figure out.

They dont make good "sheeple" because they wouldnt have any money at all if the government didnt give them some.

"Sheeple" hahahhahahaha I love that term.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
How much should such a system cost? Well, it shouldn't cost any more than what Europe and Japan paid for their systems.

How much did Chicago's Elevated Train system cost?

Maybe you don't understand anything about manufacturing. When you build ten of something, it costs a lot more per unit, than when you build thousands.

If we built a system elevated over our existing roads, we couldn't have to buy land, and that would cut costs tremendously. Then, if people bought their own rail cars, that would also greatly cut the cost of the system.

If people pulled together on this, then the costs should be far less than what was paid to built Chicago's elevated rail system, or the NY subway system.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

How much should such a system cost? Well, it shouldn't cost any more than what Europe and Japan paid for their systems.

How much did Chicago's Elevated Train system cost?

Maybe you don't understand anything about manufacturing. When you build ten of something, it costs a lot more per unit, than when you build thousands.

If we built a system elevated over our existing roads, we couldn't have to buy land, and that would cut costs tremendously. Then, if people bought their own rail cars, that would also greatly cut the cost of the system.

If people pulled together on this, then the costs should be far less than what was paid to built Chicago's elevated rail system, or the NY subway system.

I agree the cost per mile would drop if we build more of them or a bigger one. But it would still be way more expensive than Japan's or France's. Our country is way larger.

Why not just use the GM tech and retrofit it on existing vehicles? Wouldnt that be cheaper, then you dont have to build the line itself.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
We built roads to everybody's house, why couldn't we build rails? Heck, a light rail system might be cheaper than the current cost of roads. We could also have these cars set up so they could travel without rails. The efficiency of using an electrical grid to primarily power vehicles, along with costs in savings from insurance and vehicle maintenance would greatly pay off for individual households.

Try this link, for more details.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Got any links on the GM tech you are talking about? I think alternatives should be considered. I think a rail system would work better, especially for higher speeds. I think you would need a linked system to work effectively for the reasons I explained on the other thread I started a while back.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Government didnt build roads to everyones house. They build highways and major thoroughfares. The streets in your neighborhood were built by the developer.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Automated Highway

From the looks of this there may be more advanced systems that dont require spikes in the highway. I will do some more research when I get a chance. Also, I saw this thing on TV last night where this guy in Alaska was plowing the roads in a snowstorm. He couldnt see so he turned on a device that uses gps and a computer program to show him exactly where he is on the road and the layout so he could virtually drive the truck. It would not take much to expand that system just to drive the truck by itself.
If you added a transponder to each car then the vehichle would know where it is relative to all the other cars on the road.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Do you really think we need to spend more than the rest of the world combined to protect our nation?

The overwhelmingly massive military that we pay for exists for one reason, protect the overseas assets of our corporation, allowing them to export our jobs.

We could reduce our military budget to a sane level, and still be perfectly capable of protecting our nation. Do you really think we are that pathetic as soldiers?

If we don't start investing in our nation again, then we aren't going to be able to keep spending trillions of dollar projecting our military power around the world. Can you understand this?

continued military cuts leads eventually to a half assed military
continued budget cuts to the fbi,cia,dhs ends up with same reuslt a half assed intelligence community.

cutting money on things we will always need isnt not sanity

building schools,bridges,high speed railways means jack when people fly planes into them.

the 2 highest priorties of any us goverment should be national defense and economic security because the provide the groundwork to have the other things the left deem necessary.

i actually want increased spending on miltary and intel as well as putting back some freaking gold back at fort knox and putting the country back on the gold standard

[edit on 17-4-2009 by neo67]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I cannot get behind this light rail stuff. Light rail is for lightweight nations.
We are not a lightweight nation.
I remember back in the seventies working on the formwork designs that eventually went on to cast the monorail bents at Walt Disney World in Florida. I used to sit with the plans on my reference desk and just wallow in amazement at the whole concept of monorails and how futuristic they were. As I worked, I would fantasize about how this would change the whole concept of public transportation. Never again would we be forced to ride boring trams, trains, and trolleys of the 19th century! In the (late) twentieth century we would ride monorails!!!
Well what the fudge did I know because here we are in the TWENTY FIRST century and we are still talking about riding boring trams, trains, and trolleys designed in the NINTEENTH century.
I would love to see monorails promoted as transportation instead of as a novelty, although the novel aspect of it will compel people who do not need to use it as transportation to travel on it solely for the novelty. I think that a small line could be set up to test the waters. I am proposing that a monorail line between Mesa, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada should be built as the first test of the project. This project will generate jobs, both in the initial conceptualization and building, but also jobs that will need to be filled as long as the project exists.
To stimulate the international economy, I am proposing that an additional monorail be built between Honolulu, Hawaii and Naha Okinawa, Japan. While the challenges of such a project would be many in number and vast in scope, the ability to conquer challenges is inherent in the human spirit and has yet to be defeated. I am confident that such projects could be built with existing technology. Remember we have been building bridges and using concrete for several thousand years now.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

So the man who's signature is this "I will keep my God, my guns, and my money. You can keep the change" wants to spend tax payer dollars to build a monorail from Hawaii to Japan. Do you see any irony in this? Do you realize how deep the ocean is? So we are going to pour concrete posts so deep they hit the bottom of the ocean and then go down so many feet as to be stable?

SORRY, I was a bit harsh. Thanks for commenting. I was just thinking of the cost of doing that.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Depends on where you live, on whether or not the city or county paid for the roads. Most neighborhoods were not built by a single developer, especially back when the interstate system was being built. Most cities share the costs for developments that include sewer and water, as well as city streets.

If such a system as I would like to see was built, there isn't any reason to believe that future developers wouldn't build rail lines going to homes. I think it is quite possible that light rail systems could be built that are cheaper than roads, and would require less upkeep.

By the way, do you have any idea of how much of an obstacle our current road system is?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Depends on where you live, on whether or not the city or county paid for the roads. Most neighborhoods were not built by a single developer, especially back when the interstate system was being built. Most cities share the costs for developments that include sewer and water, as well as city streets.

If such a system as I would like to see was built, there isn't any reason to believe that future developers wouldn't build rail lines going to homes. I think it is quite possible that light rail systems could be built that are cheaper than roads, and would require less upkeep.

By the way, do you have any idea of how much of an obstacle our current road system is?

No I have never seen our current road system as an obstacle. Could you explain? I mean I see that we should be able to invent a system that takes less maintenance and we shouldnt pay union wages to build and repair them, stufff like that.

You never did answer how much you think this would cost to build it to the point of running a line to everones house. Just ballpark it. Is a trillion dollars enough?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I am pretty sure that government/taxpayer money is used on all highway projects. What I am proposing though is not intended to be taxpayer bought and paid for. Only financed. It will pay itself off and generate income over the life of the structure.

And yes you will need to build cofferdams to the sea floor and extend the monorail bents down to bedrock and anchor them there. That is how you do it and it is Civil War era technology.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

What do you think that baby is going to cost to build? I am just curious. also, I am sorry for being such a smart ... when you posted before. I need to chill. Thanks for posting.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join