It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pride, Prejudice and preconceptions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This has moved me, quite deeply. Every time I see it, it stirs deep emotions.

The reason why I am posting this here is because of our modern day prejudice and preconceptions in this society that lead us to determine whether someone is a valid person or not.

For example, you'd expect a police officer, in uniform, to be trustworthy and uphold the law etc.. but time and time again this has been proven wrong, as with the recent G20 issues.

When you first saw a picture of Einstein, what did you think? Did his abilities change your perspective of him? Same with Gandhi, a small spectacled man from nowhere took on a mighty machine...

In todays Western society, our talents are closely matched to how attractive we are or if we have the latest designer clothing or 'bling'...

Let me introduce you to a moment in time and to someone we have not heard the last of. As she walked on stage and was asked a few short questions, the audience and the judges had apparently already made some judgements.

You could hear various comments being made (although not enough to know what was said) that appear to be general 'mickey taking'... The camera captures peoples faces looking on in disbelief... you can just make out one woman saying 'No way'. Another audience member gives an expression of 'you gotta be joking' across her face....

Well in just a few short moments, all that changed... and it changed so much that this singer is now a global star, full of immense pride in herself, as the audience became full of pride for listening to her... to hear the judges comments and the roar of the crowd says it all.

The plastic fantastic world we live in has just been shattered and I hope it stays broken. The few minutes this woman has given to the world beats any barbie doll, any girl/boy band and anything else we think we can fabricate and make false and sell it with psychological advertsing or impressions that beauty can only come from spending money or having glitz and glam plastered all over your body.

Susan Boyle, you are rockin' all over the world now.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

This woman's vocals? Amazing. Nothing short of it.
The audience's original reaction to her appearance? Also amazing, but not in the good sense.
I can't believe there are still people like this, judging on looks, etc. They sicken me. Of course, everyone does it to a certain extent. What they did was in the moderate to high range of prejudice.

People (including some of my friends) are too focused on the looks of people.
My friend says something like "Hey, look at that hot chick!" and I say "Whatever."

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I hope she isn't like David Cook and makes a crappy grunge record that sounds exactly like Nickelback after an "amazing" performance.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I've watched this several times now and I'm still shocked as to how everyone made judgements.

They all almost committed a criminal act.. discrimination.

Their first observations instantly made their minds up and, it would seem, nothing would change their opinions.

I am so glad this woman sang like she did.

I do not think I have ever seen a crowd change their attitude so fast.

There is a lot happening here in the minds and hearts of many and it has started a global snowball of something quite extraordinary.

From the start, you hear the snickers and glimpses of up-turned noses and a look of disbelief from the judges. But now the whole world is deeply emotional about ths woman.

"I'm gobsmacked, absolutely gobsmacked," Boyle says the experience has humbled her, but she's also still in shock and overwhelmed by her overnight stardom.

"The way everyone seems to have embraced me," Boyle responds, when asked what has been the most surprising change since her appearance. "The way they seem to have apparently fallen in love with me."

edition.cnn.com...

That's how it has affected her. I feel this song was a deeply personal song for her and must be one of her personal favourites as you can see how the words could fit into her history, having been bullied, never married, looked after a sick mother until death.. all her dreams had gone.. until now.

And the affect it is having on the rest of the world is astonishing.

This news report from NBC makes quite a few additions into how Susan has deeply moved everyone. One reporter says how Susan has 'cracked the cold, cold heart of Simon'. Even Piers was visibly choked. The nightly news anchor tells of how it affected him and the others who he has spoken to

Some very good questions are asked as to how or why this is making so many people keep going back to this vid and why is it making people cry so much.. What nerve of humanity has this woman hit?

Is it her life story? Her singing ability? The song she sang? Or a combination of all of that and humanities recent struggles which has had nothing but war, terror and unemployment for quite a few years now.

In this next video, we get to see how a wife is, who has already watched the vid, plays it to her husband. You can see the wifes face and how she has already been won over by Susan. The husband does not appear to be making any pre-judgements (well done sir) and watches with interest whilst wondering what his wife has found so interesting to show him. The wife even removes her husbands hat so that he has nothing to impare his viewing and listening and so that the cam can capture all the husbands responses....

The wife is encapsulated by Susan and is visibly deeply joyous from what this experience has given her..

And the whole world (well,, those who have seen the vid) are experiencing this same thing... I am so glad this wife took the time to do this little vid. It shows so much emotion and she so wants to share what she is feeling with her family.. and it is now a very small window into what is going on with everyone around the world.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Extralien]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

:-)

I'm really glad you showed us this

I love people - I love the things we can do

I've watched this several times now and I'm still shocked as to how everyone made judgements.

and look at what we would have missed

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Thank you Spira.

Susan has hit this planet with such a wave of emotion that I dont think we have ever felt anything like this as a race.

Yes our football teams win the cup.. a racing driver is world champion.. Elvis Presley is King, Status Quo rocked all over the world..

But Susan Boyle has brought in excess of 20 million people together in such a way that we are all in a state of shock. I'm looking at the various news reports that I can find and reading lots of comments. Nealy everyone is talking about how they have been brought to tears ... almost nobody is talking about contracts or money or fame, glamour, stardom etc...

It's all about the emotions we are all feeling and they are emanating from one wonderful woman, Susan Boyle...

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Extralien]

new topics

top topics

join