It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN cover - "Texas governor says secession possible"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
reply to post by Mak Manto

I just think that they clearly do not understand what it would take to set up a government for a nation.

And that is why I said it would be difficult for a while in an earlier post and referred to people with a pioneering spirit in the last.

Granted there are folks who would move out in a minute, but most of us are die hard and Texas proud and do what has to be done to get where we need to be.

I am not doing research on this one as it has already been done in this thread.

And the research is wrong. That research is tended to people who come from all around the US to Texas.

If Texas becomes a nation, a large chunk of tourism will be gone from Texas. Many people don't have passports.

You'll lose businesses, corporations, and other entities.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

What is a fact is that only 10% to 12% of the population took up arms against Britain.

Just simple extrapolation would indicate that more than 10% wanted independence, but certainly not the majority.

Get it?

You'll note too, that while only 77 men stood in front of the British at Concord, by the end of the day, 15,000 men showed up armed and pissed. They picked the English apart as they retreated.

You see, once something starts, even by accident or misunderstanding, things get out of hand real quick.

Texas can do fine by itself IF it so elects. And that passport thing? I imagine that Texas would be very receptive to their neighbors, especially since Louisiana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Tennessee, New Hampshire, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina for sure, Virginia, North Carolina, likely Arkansas, Kentucky, West Virginia, Missouri, Kansas, Pennsylvania, and a few others would not only follow suit, but likely form a new nation.

The majority?

Get serious. A majority has never accomplished a damned thing. It's always been the few, the proud, the thinking, the driven, and the doers that have ever gotten anything done.

Right now you've got a minority of tax providers, and a yard of tax eaters.

Who really gives a tinker's damn about some majority of tax eaters?

They'll take what's given to them - or - they'll have to get off their lazy fat asses and provide for themselves.

I guarantee you this - a new country will have zero welfare. Welfare will be left to personal charity. You want welfare - go to California or DC, or New York, or Delaware, or New Jersey.

Once the parasites suck them dry, oh well, they'll figure it out.

Texas or any other state would not only survive, but would actually thrive.

Business friendly regulations, taxes, and open labor practices would have businesses lined up at the state lines to get in.

This union is already shot. It's on life support.

Just a question of which state first pulls the plug.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto
. . .

I just think that they clearly do not understand what it would take to set up a government for a nation.

What you have is a government for a state. You're not prepared for separation.

. . .

Once again, you are wrong.

Texas' government is setup basically the same as it was when it was its own nation.

Sorry Sassy, but military and National Guard will not be joining Texas. For all intents and purposes, you better not see them as part of a "military force" for Texas.

They're apart of the US.

What do you not understand?

Texas has its own standing Army, Guard, Air Force, and the Texas Rangers.

. . .
And the research is wrong. That research is tended to people who come from all around the US to Texas.

. . .

What part of my research is wrong?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well, I see Mak is still here trying to pretend he knows all about what Texas and Texans are capable of.

Give it up, Mak, you don't know what the hell you are talking about!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Lol.

Dude, I live in Pennsylvania, and Pennsylvania would never leave the US.

You're grasping at straws, all of you.

When the governor elections are over, you'll be at the bottom of the barrel. Perry's not withdrawing from the US.

He has all of you eating his garbage, and you can't even see past it.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthesticks
Well, I see Mak is still here trying to pretend he knows all about what Texas and Texans are capable of.

Well, I'm from Texas, Born and raised in Lubbock. I have 160 acres in cotton and another 80 in feed with a few head on the back 20.
This place has been in my family for over 100 years. Do I qualify or my family for knowing what Texans are capable of?
I know there a lot of people that call themselves Texans that have lived there a few years but more than likely are from Indiana or Ohio, work as some corporate geek in some multinational insurance company and the closest they have been to a cow is at some Burger King. however they do look sharp in a Stetson or Bailey, holdin a Lone Star with a bump of Skoal.
However, To a real Texan they look as out of place as teats on a bull frog.

Texans are just like everybody else. Capable of spawing fools that have unrealistic dreams, ideologies and crazy thinking. They are capable as anyone else to be bamboozled by slick talkin politicians that don't have the interest of Texans or Texas in mind. All they want is to walk on the backs of poor gullible Texans into some place of power that is so far removed from Texas, it might as well be on Uranus.

It's very romantic to think of Texas as a Republic once again but with a global economy, Texas is just a spoke in the wheel of international commerce. Just like California or NY. Guess where most of my cotton winds up? China! Most of my feed, feeds hogs in Minnesota.

Texas could "declare Independence" and print the T shirts but but it would be just a fantasy Independence; dreamed up by some fancy Dallas A&R guys, laughing at all the rubes while they drive their Porsche to the bank.

Rick Perry.....all hat, no cattle

I currently live in the High desert Rockies in the Land of Enchantment but like they say...."You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the boy."

And just because you call yourself a Texan dosen't mean that you any smarter than some blond surfer dude from LA.

[edit on 25-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Perry's not withdrawing from the US.

And, if read over the thread CAREFULLY, you will see that we have said Perry will not be the one, no matter what he has said. We know all he is interested in is more votes for his run for gov. No one has said it will be something done immediately, or even soon. But it will happen, eventually!

If you are happy living in PA and being a slave, so be it. Be happy and don't worry about what Texas is doing.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix2

Your wrong a state does indeed have the right to secede from the union. Nowhere in the Constitution is there any mention of the union of the states being permanent. This was not an oversight by any means.When the Cinstitution was ratified they reserved the right of secession and it was understood and agreed to by the other ratifiers, including George Washington, who presided over the Constitutional Convention and was also a delegate from Virginia. In his book Life of Webster Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge writes, "It is safe to say that there was not a man in the country, from Washington and Hamilton to Clinton and Mason, who did not regard the new system as an experiment from which each and every State had a right to peaceably withdraw."

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by inthesticks

This place has been in my family for over 100 years. Do I qualify or my family for knowing what Texans are capable of?

Well, no doubt 100 years is a long time. The paternal side of my family has been here since long before Texas ever became a state. maternal side since shortly after the Civil War. And we're all still here.

I currently live in the High desert Rockies in the Land of Enchantment but like they say...."You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the boy."

You don't live here anymore, so what's the big deal to you if Texas leaves the Union or not. And, if she ever does, you gonna tell me you'd rather remain a slave to the repressive US govt than be free in Texas?

Capable of spawing fools

Yep, certainly are a lot of fools in Texas, but you're not talking to one of them. I have spent the last 20+ years researching government and politics.
I am very well aware the likelihood of Texas seceeding will probably not be in my lifetime, but I do think there will come a time when it will happen.
Not only here in Texas, but all across the US. People are FED UP with DC and, as you are already aware, a number of states have already taken the first steps with the 10th Amendment stuff.

but with a global economy,

Texas already has the 10th largest aconomy, so why do you think she wouldn't be active in a global economy?

Texas is just a spoke in the wheel of international commerce. Just like California or NY. Guess where most of my cotton winds up? China! Most of my feed, feeds hogs in Minnesota.

And Texas would be another spike and fit in nicely. California and NY are BROKE, Texas is NOT. I'm quite sure China would be more than happy to trade with Texas. Do you really think they care if something comes from NM, Minnesota or Texas as long as they get what they want or need.

Rick Perry.....all hat, no cattle

And it has been said OVER AND OVER on this thread that we KNOW Rick Perry will not be the one.

Do ya'll even read the thread or just jump in with your "you can't do it" posts?

Just so you get the message:

IT WON'T BE RICK PERRY!
IT WON'T BE RICK PERRY!
IT WON'T BE RICK PERRY!
IT WON'T BE RICK PERRY!

Got it?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by inthesticks

www.youtube.com...

Ok, If not Gov. Rick "pretty boy" Perry.......Who? Tea party people?
What's the plan? You can't just say "Well, were independant now"

You need a plan. Got one?

If Kinky Freedman had of gotten elected; you might stand a chance.
Hell, I'd even get behind a Kinky plan. Or a Willie plan. Have you talked to them?

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Dude, I live in Pennsylvania, and Pennsylvania would never leave the US.

Are you jealous? Do you wish you lived in a state that still honors the original constitution?

I don't mean to be ugly. But you seem to be the only one who 'resents' Texans
being loyal to their state and willing to fight for it and the freedom of other Texans.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Ok, If not Gov. Rick "pretty boy" Perry.......Who? Tea party people? What's the plan? You can't just say "Well, were independant now"

For cryin' out loud, do you even read my posts! I have said MORE THAN ONCE that it would probably not be in my lifetime. That means I will be dead and gone before it h appens!

Actually, I do kinda have the beginnings of a plan.

Kinky announced not too long ago he would be running for governor this election. And actually, since I heard that, yes, I do plan on talking to him. He lives down the road from me and before he decided to run again, I saw him quite often. Haven't seen him since though and these days, he's pretty hard to catch up with. But, I will either stop by his house next week when I am out that way or send him and e-mail.

I have known Kinky and Willie for ages. Willie invited me to play golf with him once, but hitting a little ball with a club all day just didn't appeal to me, even if it would have been with Willie Nelson. We did have a few beers together the day he invited me for golf. He is most definitely a neat guy.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn

I don't mean to be ugly. But you seem to be the only one who 'resents' Texans
being loyal to their state and willing to fight for it and the freedom of other Texans.

And I don't mean to be rude either but just WHO are you going to fight?

Just WHO specifically is the enemy? Specifics please...don't give me some amorphous "those that would deny my freedom" Are you going to march on Washington and kill all the people wearing suits, that Might be politicians?
See the problem here? You have a battle starting against no one. Just an ideology. How do you combat an ideology.

I'm a Texan and I disagree with you. Are you going to fight and kill me?
Bring it!!

The more I read this thread; it sounds more and more like adolescent, macho, bravado, chest thumping without much real thought and just Rush, Sean, and Savage talking points. Try this....independant thought...it really feels good once you get the hang of it.

Here's something to help you get started. en.wikipedia.org...
and
www.amazon.com...

Devotion to Guru Rush and his devotees Sean and the rest won't get you very far except pissedoff and unhappy. Which is exactly what they want.
Don't give those yahoos free rent in your mind.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

And I don't mean to be rude either but just WHO are you going to fight?

Fight has many definitions. Perhaps I used the wrong wording for your understanding. I meant stand up and do what I must, or can.

Just WHO specifically is the enemy? Specifics please...don't give me some amorphous "those that would deny my freedom" Are you going to march on Washington and kill all the people wearing suits, that Might be politicians?

See the problem here? You have a battle starting against no one. Just an ideology. How do you combat an ideology.

The enemy would be anyone who tries to stop a secession.

I don't think anyone would have to go to Washington. If anything, should we ever decide to seccude they would come here.

And kill....fight does not necessarily mean kill. I am not going to kill anyone. I don't even own a gun and a knife could be taken from me with ease.

The ideology it the belief in the constitution. Not just Texans but many Americans are willing to fight for that ideology. Texas became a state under that ideology. Forgive us if we should want to fight to defend it.

I'm a Texan and I disagree with you. Are you going to fight and kill me? Bring it!!

Okay. You are free to disagree with me. I am going to 'kill' no one.

The more I read this thread; it sounds more and more like adolescent, macho, bravado, chest thumping without much real thought and just Rush, Sean, and Savage talking points. Try this....independant thought...it really feels good once you get the hang of it.

LOL! My children and adult and teenage grandchildren would find it a 'hoot' that you have classified there grandmother as an adolescent and macho. But that is okay. I love it.

BTW, in no way do I think age prevents you from being or acting like an adolescent. However, because someone believes differently than you does not make them 'adolescent'.

Here's something to help you get started. en.wikipedia.org... and www.amazon.com...

You may be right to a point here. I have been accused since 5th grade of using too much logic and critical thinking. Sorry, don't thing that was your line of thinking. Just because you have not thought along the lines of someone else does not mean that their thinking isn't logical or critical.

Devotion to Guru Rush and his devotees Sean and the rest won't get you very far except pissedoff and unhappy. Which is exactly what they want. Don't give those yahoos free rent in your mind.

Ah! At last we agree on something. I can't stand Rush and have never listened to Sean.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Who will it be then?

Perry's the governor, so if you say that you know it won't be him, then that means that you're going to throw him out of Texas when you revolt.

So, who's going to lead the charge? Who's going to make Texas secede?

I would love the answer for that one.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I would love the answer for that one.

Well, since I have said MORE THAN ONCE that it probably will not happen in my lifetime, you have had my answer.

I don't know who it will be, but I know that if it ever happens, Texas doesn't need the US as you proclaim.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Oh, I SEE!

You don't know...

"Well, we're going to secede! Perry's not going to help us, so if he's still governor when we secede, we'll throw him out! I'm not sure who's going to help us, but we're ready!"

Yeah, no clue on a formal government... No leadership...

Ooh, yeah, you're really ready...

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The very fact that the subject came up should make everyone's heads come up.

Ten, twenty, fifty years ago, this subject matter would never have been breached.

Same thing with the states passing legislation intended to circumvent Federal interference with firearm possession.

This unrest is a very recent phenomenon.

To those who would suggest that A PERSON has to lead the kickoff, is one isolated, historically innocent, idealistic person.

Not ONE revolution has ever been kicked off by one person.

Often or not, it was an event. A small EVENT that kicked up the fire storm, and rapidly spread before it could be contained.

Civil unrest was already present. Words of revolution had already been spoken. In each instance, the government in existence had become overly burdensome.

Each time there was an increasing feeling of anger and resentment among the population. In each instance, rather than reverse their previous direction which increasingly pissed off the natives, they continued their track, and in some instances accelerated their efforts.

It won't be one person. It will be an event. Some event that disrupts the normal sedentary activities in one location. An event that causes doubt in the government, or an event that pushes people beyond anger.

One incident in a major city for example, could drastically affect other cities, as the major highway systems, major warehousing sources, major mail services, major banking services, and major transportation services could be disrupted.

The checks stop coming in the mail, and now it's spread like wildfire. Angry, hungry people as in New Orleans will TAKE what they want, and it will rapidly deteriorate and shift to a shooting matter.

Cops will be negated. Neutralized in that they wouldn't have a chance even if they did attempt to stop the mass riots, but the smart ones will be taking care of their own.

This modern civilization is highly specialized.

And thus highly vulnerable.

So it will be neighborhoods, townships, towns, and counties and then States to regain control.

Once this starts, and by God it will, this Union is over.

Never again will the States relenquish power again to the Fed.

So talk about Texas all you want. Texas, just like other states will be the highest form of government once again.

It's just that Texas will fare better than most.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well, first off, you're saying that if other states leave, they'll join Texas.

So, you're not really for independence. You just want other states to join your cause, to join under you.

Besides, We've been having these "tea parties," "demonstrations," and other things.

In the end, all they'll do is moan and gripe and go back home.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

As long as there is the NFL, NASCAR, WWF and beer; the revolution couldn't put together enough people for a good hand of Texas holdem.

But if cable, DirectTV, etc. ever goes down.....God help us!!

[edit on 26-9-2009 by whaaa]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join