CNN cover - "Texas governor says secession possible"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

They may have it, every state has it, but you wouldn't survive without the US.

And answer the question: 75% of Texas wants Texas to remain with the US.

Do you listen to the people, or do you secede anyway?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto

Once again . . . with Texas being one of the biggest assets of the USA, it is safe to say that the opposite is true. The USA would not survive without Texas.

You do realize that Texas is the largest exporter in the USA (along with the 10th biggest economy
. . . no thanks to the federal government).

Most Tejanos wanted to stay with Mexico.

Most Americans wanted to stay with England.

Catch my drift?

[edit on 9/23/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Stop bringing up the past, but from your answer, it's clear.

You would secede, despite the majority saying no?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Stop bringing up the past, but from your answer, it's clear.

You would secede, despite the majority saying no?

Yes . . . let us forget that pesky past

I already gave you my answer.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
How can you secede when 75% say that they don't want to?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I think if Texas were to make real noises about leaving the USA, you would see a major influx of People Leaving the USA to join you. There is also the possibility of other states New Mexico, Oklahoma, Wyoming joining. The reaction of Washington is the difficult call. People are starting to get pretty ticked off at Washington, so trying to fight a war or call Texas bluff could see ALL the states, except Massachusetts and Vermont leave!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

How can you secede when 75% say that they don't want to?

It is in the pesky past . . .

Don't worry about it.

Just sip your Kool-aid.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

It would be best if Vermont, Massachusetts and California stay with DC.

Let Britain have Massachusetts back. And give California back to Mexico.

Vermont can to to Canada.

Whew!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I only got through page 3 of this revived thread but I want to put in my 2 cents.

I am a Texan and I would welcome secession, especially if the US goes the way it is headed.

Gov. Perry was just reaching out to the secessionist for votes and I think he would not go there unless pushed by voters.

That said, to those who think Texas couldn't survive, you are very mistaken.
We have every industry here. We may have hard times adjusting for a while but I doubt there would be few who objected. It would be the US that would hurt without some of our resources.

As to any water issue, all those folks would then have to move to another country and some who want to stay in the US would leave, so really, not an issue. In fact, it isn't an issue now.

Can we protect ourselves? I dare say Texas has the most patriotic people for their state than any other state in the Union. Beside what we have, there would be people coming out of the woodwork to defend this state if called upon.

And if conditions ever exit that we should secede, just sit back and watch how many other states want to join the Republic of Texas.

Rant over

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Even If I agreed with you that Texas could survive (WHICH IT CAN'T), the majority of Texas has stated they don't want succession.

And this poll is not in the past, Lemon. It's current.

Most Texans don't want secession.

So, if you do secede, you're overruling the will of the people...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Seems that Hunka, Mak and a few other folks who have posted comments would rather live as a slave to the US than be FREE in Texas if we ever seceed.

And Mak, for you to continuously make the proclamation that Texas couldn't survive without the US shows your ignorance of Texas and her people. You believe those polls all you want, but I'll guarantee you if it ever comes down to the people of Texas having the choice of being free or being a slave of the US corporate government and her corrupt politicians, most will choose being free.
Those that would rather remain a slave, well, they can pack their duds and haul ass to a state that will take care of them. We don't want 'em and we sure don't need 'em!

And, we don't need the US either! We might have some rough times in the beginning, but Texans are made of strong stuff and we would survive and thrive.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
These polls weren't a few years ago, sticks.

They were given while Obama was in office.

Most of Texas understands that Perry is insane, and in the end, all he wants is more power. Being governor is not enough, so he wants to secede and become President of Texas.

Overruling the will of the people, Sticks.

Now, you're becoming a totalitarian state. Congratulations.

Perry will be forcing what his people don't want. What a fool...

[edit on 24/9/09 by Mak Manto]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reading comprehension ftl

As for the poll . . . you really trust those polls, huh . . .

you can't tell what millions of people are thinking off of what 1000 people think.

I can also wager a sizeable amount that most people that were polled were in Austin, Dallas proper, and/or Houston proper, which are the liberal bastions in Texas.

There is a reason that people say "Keep Austin Weird!"

And Dallas/Houston proper are trying to keep up with Austin.

When you actually get out to the suburbs and into the country, you will find that the attitude changes dramatically from that inner-loop city thinking.

Edit:

I do not support polls at all, even if they agree with what I know to be the truth. You can't base the opinion of millions on what 1000 people tell you (even if they all tell the truth).

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Fact: Texas pays it's own teachers without Federal assistance (save for this last year where they gave a one time $800 dollar raise, which in following years is going to be picked up by the state).

This is true however they still pay below the national average for teachers. The national average being around $45,000 and Texas's average as a state being around $38,000. So they may have a very well state funded education but there is no saying the teachers would stay if they succeeded. There are better job's out there that offer better money that at least can back there money partially by gold (don't want to offend those who think the gold backing system is gone to hell).

Fact: Texas has its own department of health, and have some of the best hospitals in the country.

Also true. I couldn't find much information on pay of doctors and medical pratitioners in texas vs the nation. However I did find that Texas is pro Doctor having the lowest cost for malpractice insurence and also putting a cap on exactly how much money a patient can get in a malpractice suit against a doctor $250,000. Again though what is keeping these doctors there if there is nothing to back the money like gold?

Fact: Texas has it's own standing Army, Guard, and Air Force.

I read into this and found it very interesting. Since I wasn't aware they still had a standing army of there own. However you have to take note that there funding is do to department of defense contracts by the majority. The Department of defense is ran by the US military and goverment. So they could kiss there funding goodbye due to loss of contract.

Fact: Texas has its own department of Agriculture.

Um okay so do allot of other states have there own department of AG. Show me proof that it doesn't us federal grants just like every other state's department of AG does.

I read it in here somewhere about remembering the Alamo. Which version of the Alamo the highly fictionalized Televised rendition where texas kicked butt and took names with greats like davey croket(sp). Or the real version where texas lost to mexico with only two texans actually surviving the massiacre. BTW the texas revolution was won at the Battle of San Jacinto with the help of americans.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by OWoutcast]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OWoutcast

You sir are speaking fighting words. There is no romantic version of the Alamo. No body took names. Lots of folks died. More than just the Rep from Tennessee!

And FYI US MONEY IS NOT BACKED BY GOLD!!

reply to post by Mak Manto

OK your understanding of math is poor and of polls even worse.

this poll was not given to every Texan in the census. It was an online poll limited to a minority of liberally minded folks on a lib website.... Normally I do not put so much emphasis on lib/con politics. But it was HunkaHunkas link to the poll and HunkaHunka is VERY VERY Liberal IMHO.

SO TO REINTEREATE. 75% of 100 people is not an accurate refelction of the majority of Texas....

And your not even a Texan So what how could you possible claim to know how we feel? I don't claim to know the heart of New York because I am not a New Yorker. I do not claim to know New Mexico hearts because I am not from New Mexico.

And If I saw a poll claiming the majority of any state feels this way or that... I would expect the poll to poll more than just a few hundred people out of a state that has TENS of MILLIONS OF PEOPLE!

And 75% plus 31% still equals 106%

If we take the headline of the link at face value that is the number we are led to believe was polled... Normal polls have 2% margins of error.... 6% is a really lousy margin of error.

Let me offer some definitive advice that can solve your misunderstanding.
Count the the number of pro voices in support of Texas and the Number of voices against the idea of Texas leaving the union.....

[edit on 24-9-2009 by titorite]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

You sir are speaking fighting words. There is no romantic version of the Alamo. No body took names. Lots of folks died. More than just the Rep from Tennessee!
And FYI US MONEY IS NOT BACKED BY GOLD!!

There is no romantic version of the Alamo if you read the history. I don't disagree but to many people think history is boring and not worth reading. So they think the fictionalized version of the Alamo often time put in books and TV as the real thing. I was just wondering what version of the story the people screaming it bought into is all. Not fighting words just a history lesson.

As for the second statement about it not being backed by Gold. Let's put it a slightly different way we say it's backed by Gold and silver and the world believes that. It may not actually be backed by that anymore even though I personally have money in safty deposit box that (called silver and gold certificates) can be turned over to the federal goverment in exchange for gold and silver. So yes there is a claimed backing of Gold and silver weather we actually have that much gold or silver probably not.

The point isn't that, the point is even if we don't have enough to cover are debt in gold and silver we at least have some of it. The conferacy failed because it had nothing to even claim to back up it's money source which is why countries like france stopped aiding them there money was worthless. The fact of the matter is you need at least some asset that you can claim to back up your money. Texas has oil but the problem with oil is it's high demand and once you are out of oil you have nothing and your money becomes worthless. So Texas would need some other (more then likely some other raw material) claim for backing there money. This is where I see Texas failing not in any other aspect really. Succeeding and becoming a nation is more then just having a military, educational system, electrical grid, and health care. Those are great start but what does your money mean when you got nothing behind it. It means nothing and all those systems go down the drain because your broke.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OWoutcast

In Texas our educational system they Teach us our Texas history. Do you even know who Juan Seguin is? Do you know he has a city Named after him right next to New Braunfels. Prince Solms founded New Braunfels. Do you know any of this?

I doubt it. This is Texas history and We know our history.

As for the US... They US dollar is backed by faith not gold. And no you can not trade your dollars in for gold. Your silver certificates would not be honored.

Texas has many other natural resources aside from Oil as well.

As I said before We produce more than we consume. On an isolationist policy alone we would survive and thrive. However open people that we are I doubt we would adopt the Isolationist policy. Even if the US did not want to trade I am sure Mexico and the islands of the Gulf of Mexico would have no trouble trading with us.

As I said before we could get by just fine on our own.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

In Texas our educational system they Teach us our Texas history. Do you even know who Juan Seguin is? Do you know he has a city Named after him right next to New Braunfels. Prince Solms founded New Braunfels. Do you know any of this?

Juan Seguin let's see what I can remember from my american history lessons and from the little my texas relatives have said. He is considered the Hero of the Texan revolution by most texans. I say considered because I'm sure more then just him contributed to the success of the revolution. He showed up after the Battle of the Alamo and ordered that all the men there be buried with military honors. He was also active at the Battle Battle of San Jacinto. That's what I remember about the guy as for the city named after him I am not sure.

I'm not saying you cant get by on your own. I am saying that getting by on your own takes allot more then what people here are saying. That Texas is allot more invested in America then realised and that to just pull out with out a stable plan is just plain sucide. That pulling out with out the Majority of people in favor of it is stupidity. I am not saying that poll being thrown around is corect because it's just a poll witch means it was given to a certain demographic of the population. Yet so far there is nothing to say that the majority are in favor of seperating either.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
More hot air from the right.

No wonder most people consider them more than a little cracked.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
You know what really Gets to me... All these folks that are not Texan thinking they know whats best for Texas and they know what Texans want and don't want and what would happen to Texas if we Seceded.

I have a news flash for Folks that are not Texan.

You don't know what Texas wants. You can't know because your not Texan.

You can say you think you know this and you think you know that... and you can insult Texas in the same breath you claim it to be an inseparable part of the union but let me tell you.. THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE IS WRONG.

These states ARE divisible.

And Many Texans are in support of independence whether you like it or not.

Texas has been told before it would never survive without the support of Big Government.

Got news for ya folks... The Federal Empire need you more than you need it.

Texans get this.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join