It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN cover - "Texas governor says secession possible"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
They'll still fail.

If they honestly believe that they'll survive without being apart of the United States, they're delusional.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

HAHA... I'd like to see who they trade with.... where they get their defenses from etc.

Secession in these days and times would be like stepping off of a moving bullet train.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I agree that it would sound the death knell for Texas if they decided this. Perry is an idiot for even suggesting it. He knows it will NEVER happen, he's just trying to score political points from the extremists in his base, that's who he believes will win the next election for him.

Not only will the lack of anything coming IN from other States, such as food, plastics, clothes, et cetera, bring about instant poverty to all Texans, but also think about the END of social security payments to all recipients, but also VA benefits, the END of the postal service.

Oh my god, Texas would become a wasteland consisting of little more than small, sickly settlements of people, just waiting for one of their own to die, so the remaining "FREE MEN" can finally have some protien in their diets.

It would be ghastly, and the Governor should be impeached now for such irresponsible and possibly dangerous pandering to an ignorant base of ignorant extremists.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Wow..... Why do so many Non Texans Hate the Idea of Texas secession?

And what is with the spiteful hate filled words?

As others have already said before Rick Perry is a Liar playing on what he knows Texans support. We support the idea of seperation.... but Perry is not gonna be the man to lead us... he is a bush bot loyal to the party not the people.

Now some wonder who we would trade with. In my travels along the border states it has been my experience that Texas has the best relationship with Mexico. Better than Cali, AZ, or NM. Personally I think it has to do with our history. When we won our independence the blood of many paid for it. We remember the Alamo. We remember Goliad. We remember that when a government gets to big for its britchs that it is best to get rid of them. And we remember those who stand with us.

As for our infrastructure we have our own oil so don't worry so much about how we would fare...we would do fine by ourselves...Instead maybe you should worry more about the FED stationing Military troops in your cities practicing swine flu drills and assisting local law enforcement with road side checkpoints.

Also we are not only state talking about this idea these days.... Vermont goes so far to print their own currency in some of their towns and I seriously wish more towns in Texas would follow there example...

Secession is possible with the right leadership. Perry Aint it.....but with so many folks talking down to Texans...insulting us as a people,...belittling the very idea of us leaving with the belief that we wont....

Well I pose this question to yall:

With attitudes of angry adolescents , attacking the people for merely having the thought of leaving the union, why should we desire to stick around considering the in-hospitality towards us?

Follow up question:

Do yall base your disgust of Texas on personal experiences or just off of what TV tells yall?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
Wow..... Why do so many Non Texans Hate the Idea of Texas secession?

No hate from here... just know that it would be utterly foolish for them to do that.

There would be no trade, tariffs would be set from the rest of the Union... Mexico would probably invade (at least the cartels) and there would be no national defense at that point.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

No hate from here... just know that it would be utterly foolish for them to do that.

There would be no trade, tariffs would be set from the rest of the Union... Mexico would probably invade (at least the cartels) and there would be no national defense at that point.

No hate but you still insult Texans by calling our very idea of freedom from the American Federal Empire "FOOLISH"...

It speaks to your character.. what you think of yourself and your nation...and what you think of us "FOOLISH" folk.

You invent scenarios and theorize that Mexican Cartels would invade...

You just don't get it... Your not Texan.

Texas as more than adequate space to take care of itself... We have a year round growing season, natural resources , and as it was said before if the feds want land of ours that they claim as theirs well them They will just have to come and take it.

We operated as an independent nation before and can do so again.

Why are you so bitterly opposed to the Idea... What scares you abouit it... Its not like we would Invade the AFE.... No if a peaceful solution could be worked out every texan would just rather it be peaceful... Yall on your side of the border with you lovely FED and us on our own... making our own way in this world.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Should all the Texans living in other states be deported back to Texas as illegal aliens?

I for one would hate to have to move back to those wind blown plains in the panhandle. I love living in New Mexico even though I still own the family place between New Deal and Idalou. And never miss SXSW.

Rick Perry.....please....All hat, no cattle!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

No hate but you still insult Texans by calling our very idea of freedom from the American Federal Empire "FOOLISH"...

If you think someone calling an idea foolish is an indication of hate, then you have a serious borderline issue.

And it's no where near the view of the majority of Texans. I love Texas... lived there for many years myself.

It speaks to your character.. what you think of yourself and your nation...and what you think of us "FOOLISH" folk.

Once again... many times I have told friends and family that an idea of theirs was foolish... what does that speak about my character? That I have an opinion and share it? I would hope if something I was considering was thought to be foolish by someone that they would speak up and explain why they thought it was foolish.

You invent scenarios and theorize that Mexican Cartels would invade...

This is called "Scenario Building". It's what every one does when they are plotting a course of action.

If we secede, what might happen.... well for one we lose the national defense of the US. Given the level of violence and political control that Mexico has going on right now, and given the past history that Mexico has with Texas, they very well might invade.

The question then is... what can Texas do about that if it happens. You can bury your head in the sand and not think about it, but, that would be foolish.

You just don't get it... Your not Texan.

I don't think the values of looking before you leap is somehow Alien to Texans. I grew up in Texas... don't tell me what I do or don't get.

Texas as more than adequate space to take care of itself... We have a year round growing season, natural resources , and as it was said before if the feds want land of ours that they claim as theirs well them They will just have to come and take it.

So can you enumerate to me how Texas will sustain itself without commerce with the Union? The Feds will not have to go after any land, I never even intimated at that.

We operated as an independent nation before and can do so again.

There is huge difference between that time and now. That was the time of Cattle, that was a time before joining a union. Ever see what happens to folks after a divorce? Much different than before marriage.

Why are you so bitterly opposed to the Idea... What scares you abouit it... Its not like we would Invade the AFE.... No if a peaceful solution could be worked out every texan would just rather it be peaceful... Yall on your side of the border with you lovely FED and us on our own... making our own way in this world.

First... I'm not opposed to it as a US Citizen. I only said it would be foolish for Texas to do so. You seem to take critical thinking as opposition. They are not the same thing. Only arrogance sees them as the same thing.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I would not think that Folks living abroad would have to be deported against their will... Some folk live in Texas but do not consider themselves to be Texan... Take the New England Blue blood Bush for example.... He owns property in Texas.. but he is no Texan and if Texas DID secede then he would not be tolerated while he remained above the dirt.

Still... some folks would swear allegiance to the Federal Empire so I don't see why they would have to be shipped back.... and then some would swear by Texas and you could not stop those folk from getting into Texas.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

HunkaHunka... You are being sarcastic can contemptuous.

HAHA... I'd like to see who they trade with.... where they get their defenses from etc.

Secession in these days and times would be like stepping off of a moving bullet train.

That post says it all... you have no confidence in the idea and you ridicule it.

The Fed is going insane and you want to ride that train and thats your freedom of choice. We in Texas (the majority at least) would prefer a different choice.

Then you say I have a serious borderline issue...

Is that what you think Hunka?

Let me tell you what I think... I think the idea of Texas Leaving the Union Bothers you... It is scary and different and what is different is sometimes scary and it bothers folks.

You say you lived in Texas.... That maybe.. but as I was telling Whaaa Many folks live in Texas and do not consider themselves to be Texan. And that is OK.... They can go to the Federal Empire and the Texans can remain with Texas....

You sound like you would want to remain in the Empire and the is your right to choose.

I will not enumerate into frivolous detail about the hows of how it could be done or why we want to do it. If you felts as other Texans do then you would understand. You general attitude of disdain and contempt says it all...

If Texas did secede would you want to live in Texas or in the Land of Federal Tyranny otherwise referred to as the U.S.A. ?

Keep in mind that the above is a yes or no question.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

If Texas did secede would you want to live in Texas or in the Land of Federal Tyranny otherwise referred to as the U.S.A. ?

Keep in mind that the above is a yes or no question.

Then you obviously don't know how to phrase a yes or no question!

But to answer your "intent".... I would not want to live Texas if they seceded

[edit on 23-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Just felt I would put my unworthy two cents into this debate. For all of those that think that Texas couldn't be self sufficient, well, you just don't know the resources that state produces. They could EASILY be self sufficient. They have enough people to support their borders and, it is my honest opinion, many of the surrounding states would actually be against attacking that state and its citizens. Their secession would send a mighty message to the people of this country. It would remind them of HOW the constitution was established and HOW the federal government is SUPPOSED to be working. Not for itself but for the states. Then the states work for the people.

That is where our federal government has gone so wrong.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by dariousg]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

If I lived in Texas, I would leave if they seceded.

Texas will be gone.

As it was above, they'll be invaded, in a second. No national guard, no help from the United States. The cartels are already trying to get into Texas.

Texas will be, in a general sense, destroyed.

Texas is unable to survive by itself.

So, if any of you on here honestly believe that secession is a great thing, think again.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Texas couldn't be autonomous for one reason: water.

They're already having trouble and with population expectations to double by 2060, they have no way to meet those needs. They'd have to go to the desalination path and that's very expensive still.

And Texas is the largest recipient of federal assistance for disaster monies. Just wait until the first hurricane, flood, drought, wildfire or whatever.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I do not think you found the question I asked you confusing at all. I specifically worded in a form that you could understand that would get me the most direct answer with you hemming and hawing over the semantics of the question.

I needed a direct answer so that you could have an answer.

You are not a Texan.

It is really that easy. If Texas separated from the union and you would not want to remain then you are not a Texan and you do not get it.

By the way the over use of smileys does not reflect highly of your maturity. Nor does your constant contempt and ridicule.

Grow up Bub.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

Yeah, right...

Texas is having enough troubles with stopping the cartels from coming into Texas.

How do you think Texas will fare without a national guard, without a formalized government?

Texas will go down the drain. No other way.

I sincerely hope they don't secede, because if Perry does, people will die.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

Whether or not Perry Does something people will die... It is the curse humanity is born with.

Texas would be just fine on it own.... I read you railing on and on about it would be sooo bad for Texas if we did just that... but it just looks like fear mongering to me....

But who is the fear mongering for?

Certainly not for Texans.

You message of fear and loathing falls deaf on our ears.

If it is for folks like Hunka Hunka..well... he would choose to move to the USA. so Texas is not in his heart.

It is like I said before.... all kind of folks are insulting or disparaging Texans... Why would a Texan want to remain in such poor company?
I stand with my fellow Texans. If Texas left the Union ..... I am not one to swear my life lightly but I would fight for Texas.

And Jadette you are very wrong about which state receives the most federal funds.... Maybe you should read up on states like Alaska or Louisiana.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I don;t think you understand the true implications of what you're saying.

I would like to say that if any Texans are on here and that they don't want Texas to secede, you'll be brought in with open arms to the United States if you wish.

People will die, Titor. Texas is NOT ABLE to handle itself on it's own.

It heavily depends on the US government. You can't deny this because it's fact.

If this happens, how will Texas succeed? Who will be your trading partners? Who will be your allies?

You don't understand the implications...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I say let them.

and I bet Neil Armstrong feels the same way.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

Like I said before Mak Manto... fear mongering.

Texas has a large enough infrastructure that it could survive and thrive on isolationism alone. But what would be smart about that? Of course we would trade with any willing nation.

What makes you think we depend on the Fed? The Fed is not the All mother and all father. The federal government does hold the power of life and death over you or me.

I understand the implications.... I just feel that you fear the implications...

So what if Texas peacefully leaves the Union? If you think the Fed would miss our tax dollars you can console yourself with the fact that we would no longer rely on the FED money to preserves as you seem to be under the impression that Texas is some kind of commonwealth welfare state.

It Aint.

If we went national again Texas would do just fine. The idea of national sovereignty does not scare or intimidate the average Texan.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join