It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN cover - "Texas governor says secession possible"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If a state secedes peacefully, where is the force. If the US sends in the military(which half are probably from Texas) then in Texas we call that SELF-DEFENSE.

Well, think about it first.

First off, you have how many government offices and how much government property *IN* texas?

You think Uncle Sam is going to let Texas keep it?
Please.

This is nothing more than the classic Texas attitude.
Talk a big game and do nothing about it.

The lone star state indeed. Because they were too lazy to sew on anymore.
It really is pathetic that they're making such a big deal over Obama spending money on AMERICA

and not a big deal when bush spent money on IRAQI'S

Personally im not a big fan of either. But then again, nobody is calling me a hypocrite.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

Please.

This is nothing more than the classic Texas attitude.
Talk a big game and do nothing about it.

If they want it they can have it. Once again the US would have to attack first and if they do then Texans have a right to defend themselves.

But I don't why I even keep arguing the secession. I have already said several times that is not going to happen. Rick Perry is just playing people for votes. The man ain't got a serious bone in his pocket. Texas will be a part of the US today, tomorrow, and well into the future.

It really is pathetic that they're making such a big deal over Obama spending money on AMERICA

and not a big deal when bush spent money on IRAQI'S

Maybe you ought to come on down and talk to some of my fellow Texans. I know plenty of them that complained about the money Bush spent in Iraq.

Not nice to paint everybody with the same brush.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If they want it they can have it. Once again the US would have to attack first and if they do then Texans have a right to defend themselves.

Nobody is doubting that...why tout it as an argument? Do you enjoy arguing with yourself?

However, the latest Rasmussen Reports poll in the state finds that if the matter was put to a vote, it wouldn’t even be close. Three-fourths (75%) of Lone Star State voters would opt to remain in the United States. Only 18% would vote to secede, and seven percent (7%) are not sure what they'd choose.

75 % Opt to stay in Union

So if they do secede, do you really think Texas is going to have jack or crap for a population? No. Everyone (or at least 75% of everyone) will cross the border and run away.

And to think...18% of texans are so filled with hate and rage because they lost an election that they're actually thinking of withdrawing from the union.

Yeah, i used to play these games too, back on the play ground. You bluff and tell your friend that you're not friends anymore unless you get to use the slide first.

Seriously...Texans need to grow up.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

Not trying to egg anything on but I checked out the website. I have confirmed from all I know and no one ever asked about thier views to Texas secession or Union preferences. I searched and did not find at first glance when, where, and how many they polled and in what manner they conducted the polling. Do you happen to know?

Granted even I do not ultimatly want secession but if what most of these conspiracy claims on ATS end up occuring and we find ourselves under military like rule with so many right's striped away I will thrust support towards secession. In the mean time we should all be focused on changing the direction our government appears to be heading in peaceful and legal means.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I have confirmed from all I know and no one ever asked about thier views to Texas secession or Union preferences

A poll doesnt mean all texans are asked the question.

A poll is a poll and is all you can really go on to get a general feel for how something is going.

I realize this maybe a gross generalization, but seeing as how this topic is favored heavily by the extreme conservative movement, and opposed by everyone else....and this poll was the headliner for drudgereport.com (the second most extreme conservative entity in our country) and was by the Rasmussen ... i kind of felt like it went without saying that it's closer to true and farther away from being false.

Is 75 % Accurate? Not sure. But i am guessing, given the venues it's being covered in, that this is the general consensus for Texans.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix2

I starred your post. "Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it." Secession has been tried before.

Most Americans don't remember the Great Depression of the 1930's either. President Herbert Hoover did what the Teapartiers want to do now--refused to provide any stimulus for the economy and cut back government spending. The result was a depression that lasted longer than ten years. The tent cities that sprang up when people lost their homes were called "Hoovervilles" in his honor.

I hate to bring this up in the present company, but it took Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal to bring us out of it. Many people refuse to believe that a Democrat could ever do anything good for the country, but he did.

History matters.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
To those saying that the sovereignty and secession talk is about racism and the loss of the election, you need to grow up and find a new arguement.

It has nothing to do with those issues and has everything to do with states rights. This has been boiling for a while and is coming to a head now, your uneducated attempts to attribute this to race is sad and shows that you know nothing about the demographics of Texas.

Everyone who is reading please take note that those shouting racism and the loss of the election ARE NOT TEXANS.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Where are these 75 percenters at?

While it is only logical that not all Texas support secession, I have never met one that adamantly against secession. Not one.

I keep seeing these polls and such saying that X number of Texans are against secession or X number of Texans wish to remain in the Union.

Where are these Texans? Why aren't they speaking out? Why aren't they presenting a case for not seceding?

Everywhere I look, Texans are against big government. Texans are against all these "bailouts", or whatever name the latest tax is being camoflaged as.

Texans are for sovereignty. Texans are for Texas.

I want to hear from these 75% of Texans. Because I don't believe they exist.

It is laughable to think that there would be mass migration out of Texas if Texas withdrew from the U.S. It would be quite the opposite I believe.

You don't know much about Texans if you think Texans care more about the U.S. than their own homeland.

Anything to the contrary is propaganda as far as I am concerned.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I am all for Texas seceding from the US. Then all the brain-dead right wing morons can move there and leave the rest of us alone! Since they hate the US government we should vacate all the military bases and all other government installations. Also cut off any social security, unemployment , school aid, irrigation,etc. You hate the US government? Fine, have nothing to do with any of it.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
It is a ploy bereft of any true character, and smacks slightly of racism.

What?

Racism?

Is EVERYTHING liberals dont like a racist act??????

We need a new definition of racism.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick question.

Unless you actually live in Texas, why would any of you care?

[edit on 013030p://f43Tuesday by badgerprints]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaxium
Should Texas one day secede, one man may already be vying to be its president. Actor Chuck Norris said last month he may be interested in the post.

“I may run for president of Texas,” Norris wrote in a column posted at WorldNetDaily. “That need may be a reality sooner than we think. If not me, someone someday may again be running for president of the Lone Star state, if the state of the union continues to turn into the enemy of the state.”
Reasons why he is purposefully getting media spotlight. Governor Perry is up for re-election and running against Kay Bailey Hutchison (which I have a strong dispassion for). If the 2 were my only 2 options I would vote for Perry over Kay Hutchison. Debate for later time when we actually see who else runs. Who knows? Maybe Ron Paul will run for Governor of Texas!!!
or possibly Chuck Norris

Chuck SCHMUCK! He's an egotistical rotten neighbor of mine. He went all out to get Huckabee nominated and couldn't even sway our own county!

Perry AND Kay

Ron Paul

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
i live in florida and wish we would succeed. just dont want charlie crist as my prez, that would really suck. the fed would never let either of us succeed. we got centcom and you guys (texans) are the highway to central/southamerica. it would be an all out war. but who knows, maybe the south would rise again...just this time with out that whole slave thing. im willin to bet tho that if texas kicked it off, others would def follow shortly after.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Good on Texas! The Federal Government is exerting too much power over the states in my opinion. The states should have more sovereignty. If Texas needs to secede in order to gain this, more power to them.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well when all the Texans want to go skiing, or go to the horse races or gamble here in the Land of Enchantment; there just might be a tarrif/tax of sorts on entering another state.

Stay home and Ski Lubbock you stupid rednecks!

and I was born and raised in Lubbock!

[edit on 22-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
something fishy about it, Rick Perry is the guy who attended Bilderbergs last year and then make Merck vaccine mandatory, wird this one, whats the plan behind ??

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Nothing more then a bunch of ignorant buffoons. They try to use the excuse of fiscal spending, where were they when bush put the country trillions of dollars in the hole?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
. . .

Please.

. . .

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/edd90121f41f.gif[/atsimg]

There is some classic Texas for you . . .

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
No offense, but if Texas were to secede, it would fail.

It's not a nation. It's a state. It's not able to run as a nation.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

Please provide proof

Proof has already been given that it could.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

Actually, Texas is a Republic.

It originated as a Republic, and seceeded from the Union. Just as all the Confederate States, Texas is LEGALLY an occupied territory.

Now if they want to reassert their original intent . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join