It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morel Mushroom Season!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It is that Time of the Year
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/054edd78a94d.jpg[/atsimg]

The morel mushroom is one of favorites, and for me it is an annual sign that spring has sprung. Time to break out the old walking stick and head for the hunting grounds in search of what locals call merkles, some say it is a country way of saying miracle others say it is of German origin since many of the first settlers from my area were from Germany.

There are many places where they can be found, around Elms, Sycamores and many others, but for me, I have my best luck searching near yellow poplars in deep leaf litter. like this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a20713489c01.jpg[/atsimg]

You can find them in singles like above though many times if you get lucky you can find mulitples like this group...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9dbb11ec149f.jpg[/atsimg]

These images were a little taste of last year's hunts I hope to add some current pics should I be successful in my first hunt of the year coming in the next few days.

If you are a merkle hunter, please share your stories, pics, tips and best of all tell us how you prepare your morels for eating.

Me? I love a nice helping of morels served next to a perfectly grilled ribeye steak

I can't wait to get to the hunting grounds...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d1023002876.jpg[/atsimg]

Good luck this season

ed:code

[edit on 4/16/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I love morels and I'm so hungry right now.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I love to share!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76e4c18d4803.jpg[/atsimg]

Mmmmm!!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Wow, they don't look edible at all!!
I'd never have picked them in a million years. But that's why I don't go mushrooming, I don't know what I'm looking for. I wish I did, cos I love mushrooms, and now I know that these lill fellas are edible, I can say how darn tastey they look!

*licks lips*

Do these grow in England? I'd love to try some of them

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I think they are found in the UK, it's funny you said they don't look edible

For me it is one of the easiest to recognize edible mushroom.

I have heard of the boletes which are supposed to be delicious, and I think I have seen numerous in the forest where I live, but I am still learning everything I can before going after those treats.

If you haven't seen or know too much about the morel, here is an excellent pdf on the morels and some false morels you want to avoid.

acube.org...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Morels are great.

My grandpa owns a farm in western Wisconsin and me and my family go up there and help pick some, so we always have them in the spring. Its great.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by nick_napalm

That's great, I would love to see some pics when you get up there

I did a quick recon of a local area that helps me to decide if it's time, and according to my calculations...it looks like Apr 23 is the day.

We are going to have a couple of nice spring rains leading up to that day and the merkels love to pop up on the next sunny day.

Hope to have more pics up next week

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Jack,

I haven't eaten these since I was a kid. I'm so jealous that you have access to these. Have you ever gone up early for "ramps" or wild leeks?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Jack, I'm also extremely jealous. I grew up eating them certain times of the year....... Mom would slice & fry them in butter for breakfast, accompanied by a bowl of fresh mulberries with creammmmm. That was northern Idaho.

Down here in the Caribbean, we get chantrells under the sea grape trees after a good rain. *sob*

I'd rather eat a dried morel than a fresh chantrell, but I'm thankful for what we get.

cheers

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

What area are you in now SD?, morels are available across the US, you might be able to fetch a few yourself...

Thanks for the tips on the ramps, I haven't heard of them til you mentioned them but after doing a quick search, they seem to be right up my alley. (love onions & garlic). I am gonna spend some time before the 23rd, getting familiar with them before I go for the first morels of the season.

Things look real good, the rains are here and the temps are right, so I have my hopes high that I will bag a few.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Jack, I'm in the Desert. I suppose I could go up to the lake Tahoe area.
I'll do some more checking.
As for the ramps, I think the season is over, for the green ones. Later, you can dig the roots, they have an oniony/garlicky flavor, the late bulbs, also have a starchy component. Very strong!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

desert
here's a sighting map that I have used to let me know to get ready..

sightings

Hopefully you can find an area reasonably close so you can join in the fun.

As far as those wild leeks we are having a late spring, so if I get lucky I can still harvest a few ramps

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I am going mushroom picking tomorrow morning.
Spacedoubt, I am looking for wild leeks as well.
The goal is to get a meal from the woods so we are looking for fiddleheads,leeks,mushrooms and cattails.
I don't know that much about picking mushrooms so lets hope I can still post tomorrow night.HAHA
I heard you identify morels by the way the head is attached to the stem...any tips guys??
I have also heard tho to look in a place where a forest fire was and you get as many as you want in that location.
Any tips??

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Ok I thought since this was the thread that got me started on morels I will give an update.
I have spent the last 3 Saturdays looking for them and found 1 single morel.
I told my buddy about my little quest and he ends up calling me last Sunday to tell me he has them growing everywhere on his land.
Last night I ate my first morel meal!!!!
He brought me a big bag of darks this morning so I am having those tonight.
Thanks for the learning experience!!
YUM!!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
You know, I used to live in Illinois and go mushroom hunting every spring. I LOVE FRIED MORELS. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now I live in Wyoming where these people never even heard of a morel!!!!

Showing me a picture with a bowl full of that awesome yeasty goodness is just cruel!!
:bnghd:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Wow, they don't look edible at all!!
I'd never have picked them in a million years. But that's why I don't go mushrooming, I don't know what I'm looking for. I wish I did, cos I love mushrooms, and now I know that these lill fellas are edible, I can say how darn tastey they look!

*licks lips*

Do these grow in England? I'd love to try some of them

Yes they do actually in some parts. I have a British aunt that was talking about it.

Here's what you do. During the early spring once it starts warming up but is still cool (I'd say in April or early may) Go out into the woods. They grow at the base of white oak trees and more so near downed white oak trees. Never black oak and finding them near any other type of tree is rare, white oak trees. It is better to go after a nice misty rain and during the morning hours. There are no poisonous morels, and they are all delicious! They are best breaded and deep fried. All morels look like what you've seen above and no other mushroom resembles a morel!

[edit on 17-7-2009 by DaMod]

new topics

top topics

join