It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,500 farmers commit mass suicide in India

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

1,500 farmers commit mass suicide in India

www.independent.co.uk

Over 1,500 farmers in an Indian state committed suicide after being driven to debt by crop failure, it was reported today.

The agricultural state of Chattisgarh was hit by falling water levels.

"The water level has gone down below 250 feet here. It used to be at 40 feet a few years ago," Shatrughan Sahu, a villager in one of the districts, told Down To Earth magazine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I didn't see this posted over the last 24 hours so apologies if it's been covered already.

The Indian state of Chattisgarh has a population of around 20,000,000 so it's as big as some small countries. However, 1500 is a staggering number no matter how big the population is.

The apparent reason behind these suicides is something that's impacting on people the world over: governments, 'banking' and industry shafting the little guy.

Government and industry are pushing for development that is (probably in the short term) great for them as India continues to develop but is ultimately bad for the guy who has to suffer the dark side of 'progress': deforestation and dams which only worsening the effects of lack of rainfall.

And, as usual, there's money-men hovering in the background like vultures.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

This is staggering.
My mind says "it can't be true. People don't do this kind of thing. "

I can only imagine the reaction if 1500 European or US farmers did the same. As it is, it will only be briefly mentioned in the MSM methinks.

I am currently searching for more news on this .. there has to be some kind of reaction.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Eh maybe the governments want us to see this and hope we stop making tea parties and start having mass suicide parties... make their extermination job easier.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Ok so this appears to not a be mass suicide (ie. a staged mass suicide protest) .... but the total number of suicides over a number of years. I could be wrong but this is how I am reading it based on some google research.

Of course this does not make it any better ... but definitely less sensational.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yeah the title is misleading, the only part in the article I see is where they list one year worth the suicides seperate. I started reading the comments below but I had to stop after the first few... nothing but a bunch of childish adults arguing about history they had no control over.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Damn

Thats very sad...

Thats rough for that whole community.
Who in the hell were they protesting anyone???

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

It sounds like they weren't protesting anyone... It's just that their situation is so bad they can't make any money with poor crops, no rain, etc. I don't know what they do to you in India when you can't repay a loan but it can't be near as bad as killing yourself IMO. That only hurts everyone else around you..

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yes, the title was a bit misleading. However, it was the title that the piece came with and it's against Terms and Conditions to change it. Sorry!

On the other hand, I'm not sure how best to describe what actually happened for a headline. 'Serial suicides' sounds a little odd - is 'serial suicides' a recognised term? Also, it leaves the paper open to claims of sick punnery given the fact that the suicides of farmers is the focus of the piece.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
so they didnt kill themselves? because thats alot of fertilizer if you had 1500 bodies. I'm just saying....

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I have seen other reports, not mentioned in this piece, that those crops failing are GM related and they cannot replant or afford new seed.
I saw another report last night about a catastrophic GM corn yield in South Africa too. I thought these GM plants were supposed to grow just about anywhere and were far superior to ordinary plants.
Maybe that would have something to do with Germany banning the Monsanto seeds?

I'll maybe see about doing a little digging when I get home tonight, see what I can find.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This is so sad, why are more people not making a big deal out of this?

I hope that their families are handling it alright, and all those well-wishes, I'm not sure which are custom in their culture.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Britguy, have you got a link to the catrastrophic GM crop yield in SA? That is something I would like to follow up on.

edit: Nevermind, I have found a link. Thank you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=451115

[edit on 16/4/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

[edit on 16/4/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I have seen other reports, not mentioned in this piece, that those crops failing are GM related and they cannot replant or afford new seed.

I'd be genuinely grateful and interested if you can post anything on this. If this is a piece of the puzzle, and one not being reported on in some quarters of the media, then it's a very significant and telling piece of the puzzle.

One other aspect I've thought about since is whether Chattisgarh is or was the base for any of India's Coca Cola plants. Coca Cola has a incredibly ugly history of creating drought in several areas of India due to over-extracting from the water table causing wells and springs to run dry in a country with a limited water infrastructure.

Coca Cola has also a history of getting rid of its waste by dumping into fields and rivers, including the Ganges. This only left Coca Cola's solid waste as a potential problem. Coca Cola, ever resourceful, managed to sell it on as 'fertiliser' to the local farmers, already suffering from water supply problems. Unfortunately for the farmers, the waste is actually toxic being high in both lead and cadmium.

A BBC link on the story back in 2003.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I wonder what crops that farmers failed to harvest? Could it be Monsanto GMO corn or cotton that requires more money to grow?

They are forced to go into debt to buy the seeds to grow their next crop because they could be sued if they use the seeds from the old crop and THEN are forced to buy expensive fertilizers on top of that for the crop to grow. There is absolutely no way to come out on top. I don't blame them for giving up and killing themselves.

The way is being cleared for a big ag takeover on a global scale, 1000 small farmers at a time.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The world could be one crop failure away from an actual food crisis.
www.newsweek.com...

OneWorld.net
us.oneworld.net...

Terminator seeds
en.wikipedia.org...

Codex Alimentarius
forums.sundaysun.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a lot of indian farmers have lost their liveilhood due to GM cropslike bt cotton, courtesy monsanto

Manmohan singh is nothing but a NWO puppet

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

I'm pretty sure they were trying to grow food stuffs, like corn... Like South Africa they face famine, it was corn I believe. I hope they have some good lawyers if they want an international lawsuit.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

no its bt cotton of monsanto that has to several farmers sucides in india

a lot of indian farmers have lost their liveilhood due to GM cropslike bt cotton, courtesy monsanto

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I would say the news item has a misleading title.

1,500 farmers didn't commit "mass suicide" - that suggests they all gathered together and died at the same time, and that is obviously not the case.

This is a terrible trend, but personally I balk at headlines that over-sensationalize such tragic events.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join