It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics and Believers dont exist

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
And we're back to picking and choosing our definitions of words.

extraordinary

ADJECTIVE: Far beyond what is usual, normal, or customary: exceptional, magnificent, outstanding, preeminent, rare, remarkable, singular, towering, uncommon, unusual.

That is what makes life worth living. Our own personal perceptions. Without those we are nothing better than ants. It seems to me that the people in charge don't seem to agree with individuality, except when it comes to money.

Not tracking with my point, however. Sorry if I didn't read your post right, but "thrills" are not evidence either.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

What exactly is your point? Reciting grade school level-knowledge such as "Speculation is not Proof"?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

What exactly is your point? Reciting grade school level-knowledge such as "Speculation is not Proof"?

It seems that such important points get over-looked. Just thought I'd toss it in the pot for the general consumption.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I did not say a word about thrills or excitement or anything of the sort. I was trying to state the importance of personal perceptions and experiences.

I don't base what I believe on what others call evidence or fact. I base what I believe on what I call evidence. And my evidence is my experiences and beliefs. The claims of others simply strengthen my beliefs. I don't just listen to scientists because they are a scientist. I choose to listen and then make my own judgements.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You know, you guys really must admit exactly what is happening here is an example of what happens on those other threads. Which is sort of nifty if you think about it.

And teeth achingly annoying.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You are only half correct. It has happened before but with a different outcome. We now have a thread to show to all of those "skeptics" who only want to disprove instead of find truth.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

I see no difference in the coming outcome. I imagine this thread will peter out like most in which this bickering starts and ends, without any resolution and the constant petty bickering and silly polarization will continue unabaited.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This is getting a little ridiculous.

Maybe 5% of the threads on the Aliens & UFOs forum have been a constant war between members, with no real advance in any subject.

Some threads have been made just to promote this war, while other threads start like any other thread just to succumb to this silly war of opinions.

So, instead of wasting time in threads like this, why don't we all go investigate some interesting case? I think it would be much better than this waste of database space.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Remember though we aren't just speaking about english words we are talking about belief systems. Those are usually ingrained in a persons personality. That's not an easy change. By spreading this thread we allow everybody to see both sides of the argument in a semi-respectable manner, hopefully inciting a tad bit more tolerance to each other.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Unlikey. Those inclined to agree with gawdzilla will simply think those that disagreed and argued with Gawdzilla are simply more wild eyed possibly closetcase believers seeking to indirectly pick on and discredit them and the battle will go on. I agree completely in the wish that this would change something but the simple fact is, I highly doubt it will. There has been other threads made with the same premise and attempt at bringing about some sort of agreement and understanding before.
Not saying don't try but lets please be realistic here.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Unlikey. Those inclined to agree with gawdzilla will simply think those that disagreed and argued with Gawdzilla are simply more wild eyed possibly closetcase believers seeking to indirectly pick on and discredit them and the battle will go on. I agree completely in the wish that this would change something but the simple fact is, I highly doubt it will. There has been other threads made with the same premise and attempt at bringing about some sort of agreement and understanding before.
Not saying don't try but lets please be realistic here.

It's certainly good to know the problem is only on my side. It would be nice if people could back up their claims or admit they're just speculation and not grounded in reality. But I highly doubt it will happen.

Until/if it does, we can only hope that the moderates win the day.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

*face palm*
You completely missed the point of that post gawd. All well, par of the parcel I guess.
Not to mention their complaint is that those like you refuse to even admit the possibility of what they are saying.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

IMO, these threads are useful, but the positive effect they have is slow to manifest. Evolution can appear as stasis. But I believe opinions do shift slightly each time. Perhaps not always among the protagonists, but hopefully among the readers.

Most other threads deal with what we think. Threads like this challenge us to examine how we think, how that is played out in our use of language and certain phrases, and to question it's validity. I think that has it's place.

In a way, the heat that is generated in these threads might be an indicator of how pertinent the issues raised are.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Perhaps you are correct. One can only hope right?
This is a grand old second line worthy of many blessing from flying monkeys.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It's certainly good to know the problem is only on my side. It would be nice if people could back up their claims or admit they're just speculation and not grounded in reality. But I highly doubt it will happen.

Until/if it does, we can only hope that the moderates win the day.

Gawdzilla I understand where you are coming from and if everybody would deal with evidence the way you do it would make things easier. But what you have to realize is as of our current understandings of "everything" reality is full of known things, unknown things and known unknowns. You cannot mainly focus on the 1 one of the 3 and expect to progress.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63
Gawdzilla I understand where you are coming from and if everybody would deal with evidence the way you do it would make things easier. But what you have to realize is as of our current understandings of "everything" reality is full of known things, unknown things and known unknowns. You cannot mainly focus on the 1 one of the 3 and expect to progress.

If they were equally proportioned in the world, I would agree. However, when I ask for "evidence", "support", or "something to back that up", I get ignored. Now, I understand that, especially if such doesn't exist. But getting grumpy at me because I asked a simple question just doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Again you grossly misrepresent your position. What about this thread (especially pg 2 & 3). in which you are posting right now, and in which you hypocritically do everything you claim to be opposing here? There, you're happily defending absolutely baseless claims of supposed fact, because they suit you anti-ETH agenda, the exact equivalent of what you accuse believers of.

Whereas, here you are masquerading as a defender of reason and "evidence", the "moderate" simply asking the "hard questions" and searching scrupulously for evidence. Unbelievable.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram

Again you grossly misrepresent your position. What about this thread. in which you are posting right now, and in which you hypocritically do everything you claim to be opposing here? There, you're happily defending absolutely baseless claims of supposed fact, because they suit you anti-ETH agenda, the exact equivalent of what you accuse believers of.

Here you as masquerading as a defender of reason and "evidence", the "moderate" simply asking the "hard questions" and searching scrupulously for evidence. Unbelievable.

You want to point out specific examples or is a blanket statement good enough to demonize me?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The link was so that people could go and check it out for themselves. Links are often how evidence is presented on the internet. I have taken you to task for your pseudo-skepticism and hypocrisy on that thread. I won't copy and paste here. But please, do visit the thread to verify what was said here and compare the reality to the 'pose' that is struck here.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

If they were equally proportioned in the world, I would agree. However, when I ask for "evidence", "support", or "something to back that up", I get ignored. Now, I understand that, especially if such doesn't exist. But getting grumpy at me because I asked a simple question just doesn't make sense.

It does make sense or it wouldn't happen so often. You already know how conspiracy theorists are viewed. So you come to a conspiracy theorist haven and ask them questions you know they cannot answer. Do you know what happens when you corner a strange animal? They usually attack.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join