It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What gun is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I remember watching Ripley's Believe it or Not, and they showed a gun, that took one pound of gun powder, was extremely long, and could kill up to 500 ducks with one shot. What gun is this? Ive googled, yet no avail. Please help. Good thing the insurgents don't have this

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
what was the diameter of the barrel (aprox)
1 pound of gun powder hmm

[Edited on 05/03/2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I don't know the approx measurements, I wish I did. Im going crazy trying to find this gun.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I think we can rule out derringer.

Seriously though is there anything else you can tell us about the gun.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
All I know is this:

1. Heavily restricted

2. Takes one pound of gun powder to fire.

3. Has killed up to 500 ducks with one shot

4. Extremely long, huge barrel. Makes a normal man look small.

5. I saw it on Ripleys Believe it or Not.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This is what you are looking for-

"Ripley's Believe it or Not"
Episode #312
Eight Foot Rifle

This English Punt Guns use is very strictly regulated in the United States. Just The barrel alone is 8 feet long with a 2-inch bore and it requires one pound of gunpowder per shot.

Ripley's Believe it or Not #312

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Yes, that's it! Thank you Spectre. I want info on the gun, all Ripley says is what I already mentioned
Am I mentally challenged? Is this the reason I can't find any info on this weapon???

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
OH MAN I know what your talking about, It was like a giant shotgun, my history teacher told me about it and i almost pooped my pants I got so excited. Settlers used them because muskets were slow to reload and innacurate, so instead they brought out the huge thing and blew the whole flock out of the air. Think what would happen to someone if they were hit up close... They would be hamburger!

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Oh, I've seen this gun in a movie before! Tremors 4, I know it's just a movie but that thing can do a lot of damage!!! I didn't think it really existed!

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
They called this a "Punt Gun". Many naturalists credit it as the main reason for the depletion of waterfowl in the past.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
1 pound of powder? I hope it has a muzzlebrake! How many pounds of shot?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
its not worth it. i have this gun and 1 pound of gun powder doesnt come cheap. i fired it like maybe 3 times since i got it and when i fired it, it nearly broke my collar bone. it's also heavy as hell so u cant really aim it well unless ur ripped.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GODFLESH
1. Heavily restricted

2. Takes one pound of gun powder to fire.

3. Has killed up to 500 ducks with one shot

4. Extremely long, huge barrel. Makes a normal man look small.

5. I saw it on Ripleys Believe it or Not.

It's not it ?

Sorry,
, just a question : Where can you hunt 500 ducks in one shoot ? In a duck camp ?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
lol thats what i was gonna say nan. lol 500 ducks i wonder how many cats you can get with it if you put it that way! these will be good for when the aliens come. anyone know when theyll start armin our troops with these? rofl.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's actually 500 per day

In the 1880s, at the height of hunting of waterfowl for commercial purposes, market hunters used large bore shotguns of domestic manufacture. The hunters mounted these cannon-like punt guns on the bow of a flat-bottomed duck boat, called a punt. They poled the boat quietly, at night, close to a flock of ducks resting on the water, and fired a large load of shot and powder that killed many ducks at once. Used in tandem, a group of hunters could bag 500 ducks per day.

www.museum.state.il.us...

if you want to shoot a virtual punt gun... go here

www.aftergames.com...

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I wasn't that far :

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Anyone heard of 'Punt Gunning'?

www.puntgunner.co.uk...

www.wildfowling.com...

www.wildfowling.com...

Just if it was a bolt action operated gun of 20/25mm calibre and was used in SF operations.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Browno]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'm sorry you're all confused

The gun was the Blunderbuss

And it used half a pound of the powder just to ignite the other half pound of powder.

top topics

join