It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Army Recruiters Killing Themselves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

www.truthout.org

When Army Staff Sergeant Amanda Henderson ran into Staff Sergeant Larry Flores in their Texas recruiting station last August, she was shocked by the dark circles under his eyes and his ragged appearance. "Are you O.K.?" she asked the normally squared-away soldier. "Sergeant Henderson, I am just really tired," he replied. "I had such a bad, long week, it was ridiculous." The previous Saturday, Flores' commanders had berated him for poor performance. He had worked every day since from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., trying to persuade the youth of Nacogdoches to wear Army green. "But I'm O.K.," he told her.

No, he wasn't. Later that night, Flores hanged himself in his garage with an extension cord. Henderson and her husband Patrick, both Army recruiters, were stunned. "I'll never forget sitting there at Sergeant Flores' memorial service with my husband and seeing his wife crying," Amanda recalls. "I remember looking over at Patrick and going, 'Why did he do this to her? Why did he do this to his children?' " Patrick didn't say anything, and Amanda now says Flores' suicide "triggered" something in her husband. Six weeks later, Patrick hanged himself with a dog chain in their backyard shed.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are now the longest waged by an all-volunteer force in U.S. history. Even as soldiers rotate back into the field for multiple and extended tours, the Army requires a constant supply of new recruits. But the patriotic fervor that led so many to sign up after 9/11 is now eight years past. That leaves recruiters with perhaps the toughest, if not the most dangerous, job in the Army. Last year alone, the number of recruiters who killed themselves was triple the overall Army rate. Like posttraumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury, recruiter suicides are a hidden cost of the nation's wars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is something that seems to be getting more MSM attention as of late. I have a few friends that have recently came home from Iraq and they have PTSD. My one friend Mike, now a heroin addict due to injuries sustained in battle and he also smells blood all the time. His brother Dan who was the calmest person I have know is now having complete fits of rage. This just shows how uncared for our Veterans are. The VA's are incompetent and do not provide high quality health care for our soldiers. We need to help these people that have fought for us even if the reasons we're based on lies...

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-4-2009 by iamjesusphish]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

this was posted here i agree though that this is a very big problem not many teens i know really want to sign up with the fear of having to go possibly get killed in a war that's being ruthlessly waged over in the middle east

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
My nephew is about to head back over (Army) and on his week home, he was showing us his medals. Everyone was asking him about the stories behind the medals and he was extremely reluctant to share any details. His only response was to say he was just doing his job.

His mom was telling me that he had told her previously about him having to shoot dead an Iraq woman who was running towards them and wouldn't stop when they ordered her to.

I would imagine these kids (my nephew is 28) have a whole lot of mental anguish going on in their heads due to having to take someone's life, I'm sure for the first time in their lives. We can all sit here and say "Ok, they had to shoot someone".
But for them, it probably isn't that cut and dry. I can only imagine how I would deal with having to actually take someone's life like that, regardless of the circumstances.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
These people call my house trying to recruit me at least once a week. What a terrible job that must be!

Trying to convince people to jump in front of oncoming enemy fire, bullets from their friends behind them whizzing past their heads, knowing they could die at any random street corner from a car bomb... Sounds...hard

Especially now that theyre talking about going hot and heavy into Afghanistan, which will invariably lead to a confrontation with Iran...

These army recruiters actually have a quota they must meet each month!

Yep, sounds like a (snip) job for sure...

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
In combat, it isn't the time as much as it's the mileage that piles up exponentially. Two, three, four tours are proof positive that our task is wrong.

It is unfair to task a soldier with police duty, nation-building, peacekeeping, and you never, ever demand that your troops become regional designated targets. JESUS!

In combat you never get any real rest - more like a series of brief, light, disturbed naps. No real rest, no real relaxation, no real sense of security. Never.

You turn the soldiers loose, and once the fighting is over, you bring them home to prepare for the next enemy. We are fighting a militarily stupid war of attrition. It violates every concept of war since time began.

Now I have no idea why recruiters would be suicidal, except that they are under immense pressure to perform.

And perform in a relatively non-fertile field.

Damn our leaders for not turning the dogs loose. Damn our Generals for not demanding a free leash.

The best medicine in the world for troops that have completed combat is a two week period of absolute rest in a remote area where they can wind down, talk, and hopefully place some of what they've done and seen in a proper perspective.

But no! They are rushed home without any time to decompress, and they and their families both suffer.

God help them.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by dooper]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish
This just shows how uncared for our Veterans are. The VA's are incompetent and do not provide high quality health care for a soldiers. We need to help these people that have fought for us even if the reasons we're based on lies...

Let's face it. It's hard to "fix" someone who has gone through such horrendous times.
I have worked with Veterans - and their minds are many times - just blown - so to speak.

There is no real coming home after doing such outrageous acts to another. Especially these young boys and girls who never thought they would ever have to senselessly kill another. It's one thing being brainwashed while you are over there - and another to come home and have to find a way to validate what just happened.

But - yes - the least we can do is give them any help we can once they have returned.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Because they are humans with a conscience and are beginning to see the futility, immorality and hopelessness of this war without end.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

recruiter suicides are a hidden cost of the nation's wars.

None of these are hidden cost, people just like to pretend they don't exist. The terrible truth is being slammed into people's faces. It's up to them to accept the reality of the evils that come with war.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Amen! You nailed it on the head.
The only way the situation will be reversed under present acceleration of
conflicts is if the draft is formally reinstated, which means they will have to spend manpower on arresting draft dodgers.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I've lost and had several friends permanently (snip) up with mental illness and drug addiction because of these wars. Pardon me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for the military recruiters whos job it is to take impressionable high school kids and send them into this (snip). Military recruiters offing themselves is just a sign of the times and how ridiculous it's all become.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Fortunately for me I never had to perform recruiting duty. A close friend of mine was selected for recruiting duty. It was a difficult job. He is a good (snip), but this job really put pressure on him to perform. Luckily for him he was able to complete the duty well enough, although the hours were long and challenging. But others are not so lucky. A recruiter who cannot produce gets very poor performance ratings that can haunt him/her the rest of their career, and keep them from timely promotions that they most assuredly deserve in any other duty assignment. Recruiting can be a make or break duty for soldiers, airmen and sailors and marines.
But my friend ended up getting a fun duty assignment in Hawaii following his tour of duty at the recruitment office and then went on to a really cool and cushy job at the pentagon from which he retired and now has a civilian job that is military related in some way. I wonder how well he would fare now, though, in the current climate, as a recruiter.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'm not surprised because this is what war does to some people.

Humans weren't meant to kill humans.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Let's face it. It's hard to "fix" someone who has gone through such horrendous times.
I have worked with Veterans - and their minds are many times - just blown - so to speak.

Yes; they are *blown*. Released from all societies rules, they are expected to commit war crimes on command. Non sequitur in extremis.

It's time to halt this government-sponsored terrorism. Right now.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

The sad thing is, that the only thing the people who supported the war will be doing today is throwing tea in the water....

They simply just don't care about this.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
If you guys only knew what recruiters had to go through.........

I've mentioned it before that my husband was chosen for recruiting duty and it was the worst 3 yrs of our marriage. He worked avg. 110 hours per week. It is especially hard to recruit in affluent areas. Those kids have mom and dad paying for college, so they don't want to join the military. That makes it tougher for recruiters to make their quota.

The recruiters are threatened, brow beaten, wore down, exhausted and have a station commander on their rear end constantly yelling at them to make quota.

The stress of this job is enough to kill you.

I'm not saying all recruiters have it this bad, but this is what my husband went through.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Please stop the profanity and circumvention of the automatic censors in this thread, I'm tired of having to edit it out.

My youngest child is in Afghanistan right now. I have no idea why she chose to choose the military when she had a full scholarship to the college of her choice.

I'm still proud of her though. She's doing what she believes she needs to do to make the world a better place.

What more can a parent ask?

But please, stop circumventing the censors.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Thanks for the responses, I was not trying to say in anyway that the recruiters do not have a awful job. They must certainly do, I am so tired of these endless wars.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Recruiter is a tough job for many reasons.

It is an honor position. You are also get to be based at home. The condition for that is that you must produce.

So here you have some of the most respected and tightly wound individuals in the military. People who are accoustomed to success, and honor.

They are put into what is basically a high pressure sales job, where they need to produce. On top of that they may have conflicting feelings about what they are sending these starry eyed youths into. Many of their prospective candidates are not the brightest or most educated. In fact most are marginal, they need to weed through those who do not meet the requirements to find the ones who they can get past the barriers in the system.

When people who are accustomed to being the the most successful finally are put in a stressful position where they fail, they frequently snap.

When I was in the Navy I worked with one of those perfect guys who ate his own gun because he became involved with a girl who was mentally unstable, and she kept calling the base, ruining his career.

I roomed with another of the Navy's finest who's wife became an embarrassment, and threatened his career. He murdered her.

If you wind people up too tight, they snap. The military really winds them up tight!

new topics

top topics

join