It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: The Houston Tea Party. (Pictures, Podcast, and Information!) [Update: 9000+ Attended]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Many of them were. You'll notice that many signs read "govt", and not "Obama"
They are protesting overspending, and overtaxing of all kinds, by all parties.
Many protesters were there for themselves, and not because FOX told them to go. Fox came along well after the seeds of these protests had been planted.

People want accountability, and responsible leadership.
And you can bet that this is not going to bode well for those who minimize whats happening here. This will be hard to spin.

Especially since we have people like Tentickles, willing to take the time to report reality. Great Job Tentickles.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

One question though... did anyone there have a reason as to why they were not protesting the massive spending and increase of gov over the last 8 years? Was it because Fox wasn't encouraging it?

I've stated this in a few threads...

I was one of the people who started paying attention to politics because of the historical relevance of a female vice president or a black president...then the bailouts came...tarp...stocks dropped tremendously and 401k's were hit hard.

This is what woke people up...people just weren't awake before. I keep seeing the question of where were these people before?

I'm asking this question...

If you knew this was happening before...and it's still happening now...

Where are you now?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

LOL! You really need to think for yourself.

I attended rallies two years ago when John McCain was pushing amnesty for illegal immigration, and Fox was not pushing that agenda. In fact O'Reilly was originally in favor of the amnesty bill.

When I see something that I don't like, I write my congressman. When enough people see something that they don't like then they hold rallies. If I agree with the issue, then I attend the rally.

I realize that Fox did promote the Tea Parties over the past couple of weeks but I was on here promoting them way before then. I would have been there even if there were only 10 people. I was sorry that I missed the first one.

I was not in favor of the first "stimulus bill" and I was very disappointed in President Bush for going along with it. There were several Tea Parties before the election in November. Grassroots rallies organized by normal folks.

The first rallies were ignored by everyone. So now that Fox is paying attention to them, the MSM now says that Fox started them?

I will be in DC on June 20th, with or without Fox News.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Freedom of speech is good, but I remember the protests of the 1960's, the crowds got unruly, the police moved in with riot gear, gas, water cannons. People died. Do you really want this to start all over again, when there are so many more important things to fix in America?

The nation voted last Nov 7th and the dems won. They won the presidency, they won the house, and they won the senate. So were just gona have to suck it up for 4 years. And work togeather to fix the problems, not cause more problems.

Points to the bum on the street ratting his tin cup..
got any change?

By the way, real change doesn't come from the mob.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Eye of Horus

I have not met one person who actually voted in November that says that it is OK with them that Congress passed a spending bill that they did not read.

That single act of laziness on the part of our representatives stimulated these rallies.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
Freedom of speech is good, but I remember the protests of the 1960's, the crowds got unruly, the police moved in with riot gear, gas, water cannons. People died. Do you really want this to start all over again, when there are so many more important things to fix in America?

The nation voted last Nov 7th and the dems won. They won the presidency, they won the house, and they won the senate. So were just gona have to suck it up for 4 years. And work togeather to fix the problems, not cause more problems.

Points to the bum on the street ratting his tin cup..
got any change?

By the way, real change doesn't come from the mob.

Man, you are so right. These dirty protesters should be quiet, send in their money and fear their government like respectable folk.

/sarcasm off

Whats wrong with people speaking their mind peacefully? Are you saying the majority won so the minority have no rights? Seriously? That because people are afraid peace officers could get out of hand that they should just stifle their voice?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Your words.
" That single act of laziness on the part of our representatives stimulated these rallies"

My Words.

All politican's Lie, and the biggest liar gets to be president.
That how the power elite play the game. And to them none of us matter.
So instead of marching, and causing problems what do you do? You learn to play there game, and beat them from within.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I am well aware of politicians who lie.

Most of us know that, that is why we rate politicians with used car salesmen.

My point is no that we were lied to, my point is that our "representatives" cobbled together a bill that nobody actually read and then they rushed it into law. That is dangerous, I rate that with driving down the road with your eyes closed. That is what I am protesting.

I can handle someone having a different view than mine. I can deal with losing an election or two. I cannot handle someone spending our money without even knowing what they are spending it on. Not one of the members of Congress can tell you where that first 800 billion dollars actually went. They can't tell you where the second 800 billion went either. Do you really want to give them free reign to spend some more?

I doubt it.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

I've stated this in a few threads...

I was one of the people who started paying attention to politics because of the historical relevance of a female vice president or a black president...then the bailouts came...tarp...stocks dropped tremendously and 401k's were hit hard.

This is what woke people up...people just weren't awake before. I keep seeing the question of where were these people before?

I'm asking this question...

If you knew this was happening before...and it's still happening now...

Where are you now?

I've had a similar wake-up, David. When W took office I was 22ish, just graduating college and things were looking good. I didn't pay much attention to politics as I thought they had my best interests at heart. I suppose the beginning of my wake-up was The Patriot Act. I felt it in my gut that this was railroaded legislation that just didn't feel right.

People often assume I am a Republican because I believe in small government, States' Rights, The Constitution, but they do not represent me or my values. Once I sat down and thought about my views on the world and our political system I've decided I am just that, a Constitutionalist. Some call that a Libertarian, so be it. I won't lock myself into any party, though. Do what you will, just don't force yourself on me nor try to take away my rights. Thomas Jefferson has become my hero.

Sorry for the rambling. To reply to HunkaHunka:

Many of us had our head in the sand, some of us were too young and too ignorant, but now a lot of us are awake and alert. We do not hate a specific party, religion, race, or ethnicity. We simply wish to be in control of our lives and represented well by people who read legislation before they sign away our grandchildren's money.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

You might be able to beat them within. But with this politicalbigsbusinessmedia monster we've allowed to grow, how do you know when you are really are an infiltrator? Join a party and attend meetings? Become a reporter for Big media?

They all blend into one another now. CNN and Fox, are now the equivalent of political parties. This is how you do it now. You compete for their attention.
You have to use them, and make it so they can't ignore you.
It's a Catch-22 for them. They CAN'T pretend this didn't happen.

Citizen journalism will make them look foolish.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
A couple of posters have implied that the protesters are "trouble makers".

I have not seen a single news story of any kind of trouble at any of these Tea Parties. Has anyone else?

Isn't it amazing that millions of people turned out today to protest government spending and no crimes have been reported other than littering and J-walking?

You can't get more than 3 Code Pink ladies together without a minor riot breaking out!

Yet, millions of angry citizens turn out to the Tea Parties and no acts of violence!

Just amazing.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Thank you spacedoubt. I try my hardest to let everyone know what's going on in my neck of the woods!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of HorusBy the way, real change doesn't come from the mob.

So you're saying that the mob of Colonists that first dumped the tea into the Boston harbor didn't cause any change? Sir, I think you're forgetting that the mob has the power to change anything. All they have to do is get the courage to stand up and shout about it.

How do you think that religion has so much power?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer

That is dangerous, I rate that with driving down the road with your eyes closed.

Actually it's more along the lines of driving a Tank with the windows covered in Black paint and the hatch welded shut.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Thank you Tentickles for this wonderful thread (I really need to take the time to find out how to imbed You Tube Videos as well as my own as I have several I could share if I knew how), your work on this is evidently very thoughtful and expressive. Indeed, I was going to post a thread on the subject until I saw yours – what can one add to such a presentation as your thread represents.

I am saddened that I had to go to my local Tea Party with my wheel chair as walking on crutches and carrying a sign would have been a bit much; for the same reason I was not carrying my camera. However, if you would allow me, I would like to share a few thoughts with readers of your thread from this veteran’s point of view.

First, as soon as other vets saw me in my lifers’ patch jacket we had a small group discussion that was very informative. I really think that the day is far more spent then most Tea Party attendees know. There is an undercurrent of strong discontent I have not seen since the beginning of the Patriot movement in the mid nineteen nineties; a perception that “Something Wicked This Way Comes” that belies other past political protest. It is almost a palpable understanding that we as a nation are on the verge, or perhaps convergence, of a series of events that will define our national destiny.

If not clearly articulated, it is for certain a subconscious understanding that doing nothing is no longer an option; as if each daily new assault on our liberty through the continued grab of power and governmental intrusion into ever more intimate areas of all of our lives is following some type of script. Among the veterans I talked to, two of which had voted for President Obama, there was a resignation to the inevitable; an old soldiers internal warning of impending danger. This is being reflected by the stockpiling of weapons and food stuffs, among them as well as by individuals who would have thought such activities insane just a few months before.

This resignation to the inevitable is not symptomatic of the wild eyed reactionary that most would picture involved in such activities, but among individuals that have seen that hand writing on the wall before and are calmly preparing. This is what was so intriguing to me; no anger or vulgarity, no rush to the bulk wards with weapons at the ready, just a calm certainty of where this parade is heading. Indeed, one individual had a copy of the Library of Congresses published version of General George Washington’s Vision for America. I was even startled to see several “We Came Unarmed This Time” signs, or variants thereof, carried by people who looked as if they would not know which end of a riffle was dangerous.

It is for this reason that the presses maligning of the protestors and their denigration of their grass roots effort is so hazardous. The succession movement is emblematic of this growing quiet resignation that Washington will not hear or heed the people; that both parties have forsaken the Constitution and common sense and things will not change even if all incumbents are thrown out, due to the deep seated culture of lobbyist graft, Trilateralist and Council of Foreign Relations global mindset.

While it is my profound prayer that sanity will return to our elected officials, after observing the different groupings of people in several different ‘clicks’ of affiliations and the tone and tempo of their conversations, I as well as many others do not buy it. It was therefore the quiet resignation of some, that is more fearsome than the rants of wild-eyed fanatics could ever be, as it signals the awakening of the silent majority of ‘fly over country’ Americans. The day is far spent.

Flagged and a star, thank you again.

Moved to correct thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Great post and great pics. We can't trust the media to be truthful, so it's nice to have real people with boots on the ground taking photos and sharing the experience with us.
You rock!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTChas

Wonderful post SGTChas! Just wonderful!

You put into words the feeling of the day, the undercurrent of these protests. I commend you on your elegant rhetoric and commentary.

You brought into light that even sheeple know something is up. Which I agree wholeheartedly.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTChas

WOW!

So well said, a star for you my friend.

I agree that the time is far spent and I have begun teaching my wife how to shoot a pistol. We have nto owned a gun since we got married but both of us agree that something wicked this way comes, and it's close at hand.

I hope that our Country wakes up, and that our politicians get the message, but history shows that this is unlikely to happen.

As you said so well, we came in peace today with signs and slogans. If the MSM and the politicians refuse to heed the warning, the peace will not hold.

I am hoping that the peace will hold until the next election, I think that many political careers will end in 2010.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Seen from outside of the USA, all these tea-parties are frightening and amazing both at the same time.

It's amazing that the revolution in America seems to come not under the guilty Bush administration but under the very administration who is trying to remedy the problem.

It's frightening that it appears (from outside your land, Americans) that it's mainly racism that is driving this revolt. You may not see it from inside because of subjectivity. But last monthes, the threads here at ATS changed a lot towards racism and crazyness against a "black" guy.

I applaud you USians who elected a black president and who were ready to elect a woman (HC). You set a precedent for the world. Shame that it seems Obama will be the one present during the revolt, and that involuntarily he is part of the cause.

Do what you want with my post, I tell it like I see it.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheTilde

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the current surge of public opinion started a few months ago. The swells have been coming and going for years.

We held massive rallies a few years ago (under the Bush Admin) against illegal immigration. This current movement is just a larger swell of the same storm that started years ago.

As I have pointed out on another thread, this is not about Bush or Obama. This is about our Congress and its willingness to spend money that we have not even made yet. Then when they are questioned about what the money was spent on, or where it went, they claim ignorance.

It may be true that the racial rhetoric has increased over the past few months, but that's the squeeky wheel syndrome.

I have spoken with many Obama voters who are disgusted with the current levels of government spending. These people are not racists, they are getting something that they did not vote for. There are in fact a lot of Democrats who are having second thoughts as all of the promises are being broken.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join