It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO plans May military exercises in Georgia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

NATO plans May military exercises in Georgia

www.alertnet.org

BRUSSELS, April 15 (Reuters) - NATO said on Wednesday it would hold military exercises next month in Georgia, a former Soviet republic promised eventual alliance membership but whose territory was invaded by Russia last August.

No immediate comment was available from Russia, which considers Georgia part of its traditional sphere of influence. Russia invaded Georgia to defeat an attempt by its pro-Western leadership to retake the breakaway South Ossetia region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
So much for maintaining a stable relationship with Russia. Between this and the emerging mess in Moldavia it looks like the West is still set on a collision course with Russia. What did the heads of NATO discuss in Brussels after the G-20 summit in London? Could this have anything to do with the Israeli-Russian aerospace deal?

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think I found what the problem is:

Protests in Georgia's capital spark new tension with Russia

Are Russian forces preparing to invade?

On Tuesday night a powerful blast was heard from the Tskhinvali area, with the shock waves felt as far away as the Georgian border post. The cause of the explosion remains unexplained.

The Georgian Ministry of Defense has accused Russia of increasing its military presence in the separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia over the past week – a charge that Moscow firmly denies, labeling Georgia's allegation "informational provocation."

The fear that Russian troops are amassing in places like Akhalgori – a mere 25 miles from Tbilisi – has lead to rumors that they intend to invade if Mr. Saakashvili doesn't resign.

www.csmonitor.com...

The issue at hand here appears to be NATO support for the Georgian government as Russia has begun a build up of armored forces on the Georgian border.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It looks like NATO is trying to show some force so that maybe Russia might re-think a invasion in Georgia, not that NATO would be willing to go to war over Georgia, but maybe make Russia think twice.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
God NATO is farking stupid. They really, REALLY want to piss off Russia. Yeah, that's CHANGE we can believe in... NOT.

But it's not a big surprise, with Brezinski behind Obama who hates Russia with everything he's got.

In august 2008, we avoided nuclear war a few times... because of a stupid leader in Georgia and NATO-Israel support of this clown.

NATO, again supporting a puppet dictatorship to piss off Russia.

What's next? Putting warships in Sevastopol after the russians are kicked out? IMO, this is the next big NATO move.

Russia in northern Georgia and NATO in southern Georgia... yeah that'll end well.

Well you can kiss goodbye to improving relations with Russia because NATO clearly doesn't want to.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
WTF is NATO thinking?

Do they really want to piss Russia off that badly?

Are they stupid or something?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
NWO must be preparing for another profitable war. They are already reminding us how Russia invaded because it's evil, not because that crackpot western installed crook was killing russian citizens for no reason (other than he thought he had western protection...idiot).

Could you post this Israeli-Russian deal? Seems like unusual partners.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It is a deadlock situation - NATO cannot stop showing support to Georgia (which is a democracy by the way) due to possible problems with some ex-Soviet members and want-to-be members, and Russian federation is trying to regain its sphere of interests and thus also cannot back down.
I hope that it will not develop into some needless war again. I was pretty sure that a new cold war was going to start due to this conflict, and was glad to be wrong eventually. So the fact that it stays a hot-spot with both sides that still hope for gains and losses of the other, which is not good.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CapsFan8
NWO must be preparing for another profitable war. They are already reminding us how Russia invaded because it's evil, not because that crackpot western installed crook was killing russian citizens for no reason (other than he thought he had western protection...idiot).

Could you post this Israeli-Russian deal? Seems like unusual partners.

Israel sells spy drones to Russian air force

WASHINGTON, April 13 (UPI) -- Russia has closed a deal with Israel's largest aerospace company to buy new state-of-the-art unmanned aerial vehicles.

Russian Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin, who directs all military procurement programs, confirmed the deal in an announcement Friday, RIA Novosti reported. Previously, the Moscow daily business newspaper Kommersant had published what it said were details of the deal on April 7.

www.upi.com...

The last time the US started threatening Israel, the Russians began taking up for Israel. This was back in 1999. Israel refused to support NATO's war against Serbia over Kosovo.

Now in the present Israel still refuses to recognize Kosovo.

Year after declaring independence, Kosovo awaits Israeli recognition www.haaretz.com...

If the Obama administration is not careful we will end up just like France in the 1960s with Israel giving us the finger.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

NATO cannot stop showing support to Georgia (which is a democracy by the way)

I'm sorry what did you say? A democracy?
Obviously you haven't been keeping up with current events:

Georgia's opposition vowed Monday to boost pressure on President Mikheil Saakashvili with round-the-clock protests outside his office as up to 20,000 rallied for a fifth day to demand his resignation.

Thousands of opposition supporters have been protesting against Saakashvili since Thursday in the biggest demonstrations against his rule since a war with Russia last August.

www.google.com...

They pledged to stay there until Saakashvili, commonly known as Misha, resigns over his record on democracy and last year's disastrous war with Russia.

uk.reuters.com...

"This is not a revolution. It is another demonstration of the Georgian people's peaceful will to seek democracy,"says Salome Zourabichvili, former foreign minister and leader of the Georgia's Way party.

news.yahoo.com...

A coalition of 13 Georgian political opposition parties will take to the streets of Tbilisi Thursday to stage open-ended demonstrations aimed at unseating President Mikheil Saakashvili, whom they accuse of betraying the promise of 2003's "Rose Revolution," building a personal dictatorship, causing mass impoverishment, and leading the country into a disastrous war with Russia last summer.

www.csmonitor.com...

The primary reason why people are disillusioned with Saakashvili is because he didn’t deliver on the promises he made in 2004. He has not made major inroads in reducing poverty. He has done a certain amount to crack down on lower level corruption such as traffic cops shaking people down, demanding five dollars here and ten dollars there. But the perception among a lot of people is that just like his predecessor, Eduard Shevardnadze, Saakashvili has turned a blind eye to corruption amongst his closest associates. One of the major scandals of the past couple of years was the murder of a young banker who got into an argument in a bar in Tbilisi with certain high placed members of the interior ministry. The unfortunate young man was found the next morning beaten up with his throat cut. In a normal democracy, if the interior ministry was implicated, the minister would have resigned. The minister happens to be one of Saakashvili’s closest cronies, and still occupies his post.

There are allegations that Saakashvili’s people were handing out financial inducements like wood and flour and food and heating materials to voters to win their support.

The OSCE assessment noted that “the implementation of social welfare programs is frequently combined with campaigning for this former president.”

www.cfr.org...

Now you wanna try and run that by me again? Georgia is about as democratic as Afghanistan right now.

Mikhail Saakashvili is an utter nutjob, that the United States chose to back without really bothering to enquire as to what his real intentions were. Another Saddam Hussein, Manuel Noriega or Taliban waiting to happen basically.

Russian federation is trying to regain its sphere of interests and thus also cannot back down.

Do you know why?

Because America is trying to ring Russia with NATO members, fanatical anti-Russian despots, and missile bases.

Russia, like every country in the world reacts to these stimuli and defends it's interests.

Of course it can't "back down" when America is unrelentingly trying to undermine Russian security and stability in the Caucasus and Eastern Europe.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Israel sells spy drones to Russian air force

You might be interested in the thread on this article:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The reason why Israel is deciding to placate the Russians right now is because they're seriously worried about the potential sale of Russian S-300 SAM systems to Iran, which may or not may not go through, and which could seriously impede any Israeli air strike on Iranian Nuclear assets.

Russia has still yet to confirm or deny whether they're actually going to sell Iran any S-300's however.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

If the Obama administration is not careful we will end up just like France in the 1960s with Israel giving us the finger.

I'm sorry but who really cares if they give "us the finger"

I'm tired of their rhetoric.

I saw the headline earlier this whole thing stinks to high heaven and I too wonder what was discussed behind close doors that prompted this "New" development.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Am I the only one who registered on this little gem

a former Soviet republic promised eventual alliance membership but whose territory was invaded by Russia last August.

When did Russia invade?
I believe they where the ones doing the repelling

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

When did Russia invade?
I believe they where the ones doing the repelling

When Russia defends itself after it's peacekeepers are fired on without provocation and it's planes shot down over their own airspace, that's just blatant and outright Soviet-inspired hegemony.

But of course America invading Iraq predicated on evidence flimsier than a used car saleman's promises, that's "spreading democracy".

I wonder what the International Community would say if Russia attempted a stunt like that?

Ahh... the hypocrisy.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Well the Western European NATO members have already voiced their opposition to letting Georgia in, primarily because as the recent EU investigation revealed Georgia was largely to blame for the start of the hostilities in August. The only NATO members that I see as possibly heavily lobbying to uphold military relations with Saakashvilli's regime, are US and the Eastern European lapdogs (Poland, Baltics).

Everyone knows that these military exercises, if held, are nothing but a symbolic gesture of support for Saakashvilli and his crumbling regime. Georgia has seen massive protests in its capital for the past week calling for removal of Saakashvilli from power. The Georgian people are fed up with that clown. There isn't even guarantee that he will hold on to power untill May. So who in their right mind would agree to hold military exercises with the government that is on the verge of being booted out. Does the US really want to get involved in the Georgian mess - and the possible coup that might take place?

As for Russia - it knows that there is nothing to fear from Georgia militarily, and that these exercises will in no way enhance the capabilities of the Georgian military. However such exercises will also be symbolic to Russia - symbolic of the fact that even with Obama and the US and NATO have not abandoned their "poke Russia with a stick and spit at its feet" routine. And here I hoped that with the passing of Bush's administration this nonesense would stop.

Perhaps it does all come down to that damn oil pipeline running through Georgia then. The US invested billions in it, just as it invested in Saakashvili's regime in hopes of securing the region through which the pipeline runs. Certainly someone in the West does not want to see that investment go to waste - not that an opposition government would cease the pipeline's operation, but it could raise the fees for trasport.

Also there is that Nabucco gas pipeline idea floating around for the last couple of years. Surprise surprise - it also involves Georgia, and the plans for Nabucco surfaced after US installed Saakashvilli to power. Maybe Obama didn't really change the foreign policy where it matters most? Maybe the US is still chasing around any resources it can get its hands on, oblivious to the long-term consequences of its meddling in others' business?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I think I found what the problem is:

Protests in Georgia's capital spark new tension with Russia

Are Russian forces preparing to invade?

On Tuesday night a powerful blast was heard from the Tskhinvali area, with the shock waves felt as far away as the Georgian border post. The cause of the explosion remains unexplained.

It's called getting rid of unexploded ordinance. Quiet a number of bombs, missiles, and artillery shells has been used in that area during the August war. Chances are that there are hundreds of unexploded munitions littering the populated area. The explosion was probably caused either by a detonation crew or an accident.

And the "Georgian border post" is not that far away, only a few miles from Tskhinvalli - so the blast might not have been as strong as the article makes it seem.

And if Russia was planning something - why would they announce their plans by blowing something up? Wouldn't they go for a surprise factor and try to make everything seem quiet? This piece of news then is likely non-news, or someone's attempt at sensationalism.

The Georgian Ministry of Defense has accused Russia of increasing its military presence in the separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia over the past week

The Georgian Defense Ministry? Seriously? Even the Georgian Defense Ministry doesn't take itself seriously - why would anyone else? The Ministry's main role is being a subsidiary of Hollywood and producing films of glorious leader Saakashvilli running away from evil Russian planes.

The fear that Russian troops are amassing in places like Akhalgori – a mere 25 miles from Tbilisi – has lead to rumors that they intend to invade if Mr. Saakashvili doesn't resign.

The fear? In the age of satellite spying and high-altitude UAV's there is a fear that someone is amassing troops? The US and NATO know every single steps that the Russians take near Georgia. If there was a true build-up - it would be announced for a fact.

And what is the point of holding exercises NEXT MONTH, if Russia is ready to invade right now. The opposition is enough to eventually force Saakashvili to resign - Russia need not get involved. Plus the opposition do not want Russia's help.

The issue at hand here appears to be NATO support for the Georgian government as Russia has begun a build up of armored forces on the Georgian border.

No independent source or anyone besides the Georgian Information Ministry has any proof that the Russians forces are amassing anywhere. This is the same Ministry that told the world on August 11th that Russia is certain to attack Tbilisi. This is the same Ministiry that also told the World on August 9th that the glorious Georgian troops destroyed a Russian spetznaz battalion in South Ossetia. Oh yeah - and the same ministry that said that Georgia has launched an operation to retake South Ossetia on August 8th, only to state on August 9th that Russia launched an unprovoked invasion of Georgia.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
NATO cannot stop showing support to Georgia (which is a democracy by the way)

A democracy? How so? And even if it was a democracy - why should NATO show support to an idiotic leadership that launched a war by attacking peacekeepers of a country 30 times its size?

Darwinism prevails as much in politics as it does in evolution - and any regime as stupid as Saakashvilli's deserves to go the way of the Dodo bird.

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Russian federation is trying to regain its sphere of interests and thus also cannot back down.

If Russia was so concerned about spheres (no pun intended), why wasn't Mr. Saakashvilli hung by the balls in August?

[edit on 15-4-2009 by maloy]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think the blame is on Russia this time. If NATO does nothing because of the build up then they will look weak. Russia is escalating this by its actions.

NATO carries a fairly big stick and Russia is not as powerful as NATO.
At least this escalation will not be blamed squarely on the USA this time by all of the American bashers. But I might be mistaken... someone will still blame the US.

Russia needs to really think about the agressive moves it has been making lately and the possible consequences. The Bombers flying in Alaska, the warships in Cuba and the tinkering around in Iran.

I had a great respect for Russia just a few short years ago but now I see a posturing that is a little too overbearing.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I think the blame is on Russia this time. If NATO does nothing because of the build up then they will look weak. Russia is escalating this by its actions.

You're kidding? What buildup?

NATO carries a fairly big stick and Russia is not as powerful as NATO.

I know, that's why it's more dangerous now than during the cold war.

At least this escalation will not be blamed squarely on the USA this time by all of the American bashers. But I might be mistaken... someone will still blame the US.

The ``escalation`` is made by NATO with their exercises, and the US control troops in NATO.

Russia needs to really think about the agressive moves it has been making lately and the possible consequences. The Bombers flying in Alaska, the warships in Cuba and the tinkering around in Iran.

What Russia did was ALWAYS in RESPONSE to NATO actions. ALWAYS. When the URSS fell and Russia was weak in the 90s until 2000, when Putin took over, NATO only expanded and encircled Russia, while disregarding treaties on the missile shield and conventional army allowed in Europe.

I had a great respect for Russia just a few short years ago but now I see a posturing that is a little too overbearing.

Russia ALWAYS REACTS to NATO actions, so to call them agressive is silly.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Russia says NATO exercises in Georgia are provocation

MOSCOW, April 16 (Reuters) - Russia called on NATO on Thursday to cancel or postpone planned military exercises in Georgia which it said were "a provocation".

"This is absurd and a provocation," Russia's envoy to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, told Reuters by telephone. "I have asked the NATO secretary general ... to postpone these exercises or to cancel them."

www.alertnet.org...

Maybe that button wasn't a gaff by Clinton at all. Instead of "reset" maybe it really was meant to say "overload".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join