It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ferry crossings to France blocked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Ferry crossings to France blocked

www.channel4.com

British ferry companies sue the French government after a blockade by French fishermen causes a second day of chaos.

Ferry crossings to Calais, Boulogne and Dunkirk have been cancelled, and the disruption is already costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The French fishermen, who are demanding an increase to EU quotas on cod catches, began their action on Tuesday, stranding thousands of passengers.

P&O said ferry traffic to Britain was now completely blocked.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
At first glance I didn't think that this was that bad, but if you think about it the implications could be huge.

Can't find much on this at the moment so if anyone has any sources that would be great. Just look at those tailbacks though!

If this is how easy it is to block a main trade artery... Just imagine if there was food shortages or somthing similar and people were depending on supplies with their life?

I might be being over dramatic but I see this as quite a major event.

Any thoughts Anyone?

www.channel4.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Heres another link with more information:

news.sky.com... ?f=rss

So it would seem the EU is the cause, but this time it seems they are doing the right thing by protecting fish stocks which would otherwise be fished to near extinction.

I still think that the EU is a very bad idea and should be disbanded though

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Apparently political leaders at the French national and EU level haven't enough strength to say this is wrong. The fishermen have no right to block the transport industry and travel. Therefore bring in the coast guard and break the blockade.

Obviously the Fisherman's union were strong supporters of the politicians? The fishermans union and the transport union are pals?

We can expect similar US problems as Obama and his team of liberals use their bully position to strengthen unions and keep Democrats in power.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
There is a serious issue with the cod, at least Atlantic cod.
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.ens-newswire.com...

Tasty, but I try not to eat it anymore. They shouldn't increase the quotas, there could be no cod left.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You have got to hand it to the French strikers!

When there is a problem,they all back each other to the hilt!

Pity, we in this country,don't show the same spirit of solidarity!

Go fishermen!!

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I live in south east England within spitting distance of the main motorway (M20) to the channel ports to France and every time the French setup a blockade the police here initiate 'Operation Stack' and can turn about 20 miles of the motorway into one giant parking lot for trucks. The big problem is it then plays havoc with the road network and puts huge pressure on the minor roads through the smaller towns and villages.

It happens pretty often, probably when the French fancy a few extra days off after after a national holiday

Some links about Operation Stack..

Wikipedia
A petition about it
Local Radio Station

Cheers

Chasyb

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hahahaha! No, the real reason is they're pissed at all of the English booze cruisers shooting over to Calais and buying up all the cheap booze and fags!
The French are just sticking it to us unappreciative, uncultured English who don't 'get' France.

To the French - We're sorry, ok?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Source:
news.sky.com... 5262669?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15262669_Channel_Blockades%3A_Ferry_Travel_Disruptions_By_French_Fisherme n_In_Calais%2C_Dunkirk%2C_Boulogne

Looks like the bans been lifted. I wonder how long it will take to clear the backlog on the motorways? The pictures from operation stack are amazing!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
bloody french

not even their fish. since the EU Common Fisheries policy, Britain's fish stocks have been completely decimated.
Fish previously abundant are now being listed as endangered, all for some flouncy French schoolkids to eat some fish for dinner instead of # french garlicky #.

im sure they'd be pissed off if i went over there and started stealing all their garlic. hell, there'd be a bloody war.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by selfisolated]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
In all honesty, the French fisherman can choke on their onions for all I care. Whilst I admire the French willingness to stand-up for what they believe in, in this case they really don't have much of an argument regarding this.

French fishing - like French farming is very, very privileged regarding what it's been able to get away with regarding subsidies. A few years ago, France illegally banned British beef, despite an EU ruling. That's perhaps not much in itself, but it's still an issue considering France's pretty much central place within the EU, a place that it does use as a leverage point.

However, it's very small compared to the fact that French fishermen broke EU fishing rules for 20 years - it seems French fishermen seem to feel they can do what they want.

Britain has also been similarly shafted by Spain regarding fishing policies in Britain's own waters in the past with Britain not only losing large quotas of its own fish to Spanish fleets but also even being forced to pay compensation to Spanish fishermen for when they haven't been able to fish in the waters around Britain or reach their quotas.

new topics

top topics

join