It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed police deny hiding tactics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Speed police deny hiding tactics

news.bbc.co.uk

A police force has denied its officers hid behind trees during an operation to catch speeding motorists.

The denial comes after photographs of officers from Central Scotland Police emerged during an operation on the A91 in Clackmannanshire last weekend.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
LOL, What are the police comming to nowadays, absolutely a breach of power to enforce the law, by hiding behind a tree to catch Motorists speeding.

Although, maybe the residents in that area, feel that the police tactics are justified. Its a no wonder, why motorists are being milked nowadays, if Police offiers a resorting to these kind of tactics.

Bet they feel like idiots now after being caught out.

news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
See here in the US it's common place for the police to hide to catch speeders. I assumed with all the big brother over there , hiding behind trees is a given. Interesting to know it's not common place there.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

If you're not breaking the law in the first place, you don't need to worry about the speed police hiding.......

to me, it does not make sense to see complaints about it.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
In the US I can go 10 miles to town here and surely find a cop hiding either over a hill, at the fire dept., or well...behind a tree to catch speeders. What irks me about it is they lie about not doing EXACTLY what they are doing. If local police lie about what they are doing, it's almost certain higher up powers are going to flat out lie to you about what they are doing.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

LOL, What are the police comming to nowadays, absolutely a breach of power to enforce the law, by hiding behind a tree to catch Motorists speeding.

Although, maybe the residents in that area, feel that the police tactics are justified. Its a no wonder, why motorists are being milked nowadays, if Police offiers a resorting to these kind of tactics.

Bet they feel like idiots now after being caught out.

news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Laurauk]

This happens all the time in Canada, they will hide behind anything, and then as your driving down the road will literally run out into the middle of your lane, and throw their hands up in the air all Neo Matrix style, its really something to see.

I am honestly shocked that it hasnt made the news that an officer as hit while performing this routine. They do it so frequently that you would assume it would have happened by now.

Regardless of any of our opinions on the subject. The fact is that speeding tickets are just forms of statutory law, and technically do not apply. Me and I assume most of you, are not a member of the law society. The acts and regulations that they construct, they must follow. Since we are not a part of their society, we do not need to follow their rules. Governing is done by consent, and your ignorance is what gives them consent.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a lady in canada ran over a cop after he ran onto the road pointing his radar gun. she thought she was getting carjacked at gunpoint, and was cleared of any wrongdoing.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Really? Maybe not in Scotland or wherever but wouldn't it make sense in the first place to catch speeders? How about this...GO THE SPEED LIMIT and don't drive like an idiot. It's not Big Brother so stop using that excuse. Learn to drive like a normal person and you won't have to worry.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I can't really argue against the simple logic of not breaking the speed limit.

But I think this 'hiding' trend becomes more egregious when the police departments become 'revenue' sources for the establishment.

I can't imagine why they would be inclined to deny what they do. It's not illegal to 'hunt' speeders like prey, is it?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Cops are not that smart. Sometimes they stand in the middle of the road and point the radar gun at you like a handgun. If your not speeding they jump out of the way but still, cops are dumb.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bigspud

A similar case happened in Cape Town a few years back, but the speeding motorist's claim was ruined when it was found that he had then stopped after hitting the speed cop, and reversed over the offending traffic officer.

Our speed cops here have become very sneaky and have reverted to serious camouflage tactics to get their speeding man. I have seen them sitting in the center of a bush, with gilly style uniforms and blacked out faces (assuming they were not already naturally blacked out).
The Traffic Police Special Ops Unit anyone?

Our main problem here though is corruption ...

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Locally, police officers park in plain sight and have no problems catching speeders.

Sometimes they'll park broadside to traffic making themselves plainly visible and people still speed by them.

Speeders don't seem to be the most observant people around....

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
You used to see this kind of thing all the time here in england but now they have cut back on putting cops out with radar guns and have gone for the stealthy white van parked up on the roadside with a camera pointing out through an open rear window.
Sneaky!

[edit on 15/4/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Want to irk them off in a fun and legal way?

You see a cop parked in a concealed location park your car right in front of his bumper. Claim you do not see him. Wait hours if you must, never acknowledge seeing the officer.

Once the officer gets your attention and demands you move, proceed just enough so that you are still in the way. Claim ignorance repeatedly, apologize and move a little more. Take your time in moving, make sure that your seat belt is fastened exactly the way you want it to be. This process may take as long as a half an hour if you do it right.

If you are able, claim a vehicle malfunction and call the furthest tow truck company to remove your vehicle from the officers path.

[edit on 4/15/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here in the US it is common practice for officers to hide in order to catch speeders. Not all of them do it but alot of them do.

IMO if you don't want to get caught for speeding, DON'T SPEED. Being a driver of a big truck there are some states where the speed limit is significantly lower for big trucks than for (what we call) four wheelers. Even so, you'll regularly see trucks zooming by you at 70+ mph in 55 mph truck zones. And four wheelers ... well ... I think maybe one out of ten thousand actually do the speed limit.

Speed limits are in place for public safety. If you speed and get caught (no matter where the cop was) you deserve to get caught and you deserve to pay the resulting ticket.

Just my $0.02 worth.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
Cops are not that smart. Sometimes they stand in the middle of the road and point the radar gun at you like a handgun. If your not speeding they jump out of the way but still, cops are dumb.

You must be an expert on this matter. That is like saying everyone in the Air Force can fly a plane...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nastalgik

You must be an expert on this matter. That is like saying everyone in the Air Force can fly a plane...

Well not everyone in the air force is a pilot.

But back on topic, like so many other posters have said this is pretty common place in the USA. But personally I think this is a good thing, the police should have less power.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
See here in the US it's common place for the police to hide to catch speeders. I assumed with all the big brother over there , hiding behind trees is a given. Interesting to know it's not common place there.

Yes, I too thought it was interesting that it is not common place for the cops to hide in a effort to catch speeders.

Here in Dallas, I have seen them parked just on the other side of hills, behind signs, behind trees, behind other cars and much more. I have even seen one cop up in a tree with a radar gun while another was parked way off in the distance and when the tree cop caught a speeder he would radio the other guy and tell him which car to pull over.

I just always assumed that hiding was a tactic used world wide. I am actually surprised to hear that it isnt.

For that reason, I did not really get why they would deny it. Is it illegal in Scotland for the cop's to hide like that?

Is it just a tactic that the people have not seen much before and they feel violated? Forgive my ignorance as this is a very common occurance here. I see this atleat once every few weeks....

Could I get some clarification on why the Scottish citizens are not happy and why the cops there would deny it?

Thanks, for bearing with my ignorance!

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by nick_napalm

Originally posted by nastalgik

Well not everyone in the air force is a pilot.

But back on topic, like so many other posters have said this is pretty common place in the USA. But personally I think this is a good thing, the police should have less power.

I am guessing you didn't catch my sarcasm? The police in Europe must be very sad indeed.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by nastalgik]

new topics

top topics

join