It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do aliens share our genetic code?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Do aliens share our genetic code?

www.newscientist.com

What similarities will alien life forms have to living things here on Earth? We won't know until we find some, but now there is evidence that at least the basic building blocks will be the same.

All terrestrial life forms share the same 20 amino acids. Biochemists have managed to synthesise 10 of them in experiments that simulate lifeless prebiotic environments.

Amino acids are also found inside meteorites formed before Earth was born.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I wont necessarily agree with the article. The building blocks of life could be different based on the location of the Extra terrestrial life.

Why do these 10 amino acids form the crux of life (besides requiring the least amount of energy)

Other chemicals and energy sources that we have not discovered yet, or are not there in our region of the galaxy, that could be creating life intelligent than us.

I believe Life was seeded on earth, either through meteorites or by a superior ET race. In which case, it seems that life was not a coincidence on earth, but an experiment that still continues. How do genes know what to do? Where does the programing in them come from? The next few centuries might answer the question about the origins of life and if we are alone

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-4-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I love how humans naturally tend to believe that if they have only seen something work one way, then that's how they believe everything like that should work. Just because those were our building blocks we tend to characterize them as essential and that everything MUST use them, cause earth life does. This may or may not be the case.

But what is clear is that humans tend to follow that thought process with everything, and that practice is repeated through out our history. And the theories are always believed, and then in the future almost always proven wrong.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Are you implying that there can be intelligent life outside of our primitave building blocks, amino acids.

Not putting it down, but embracing the idea, that what works for us may not work for everyother.

I could only imagine what other species are built of.

But in this post, if these chains our found there, there might be a possibilite of similar species of us elsewhere. Interesting SandF

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I would not be surprised if all life in the universe is based upon the same amino acids that all life on earth is. I personally think its a physical property in the same manner that all stars are hydrogen based.

Considering that stars are the source of their systems and all stars fuse hydrogen and generate the same elements were probably going to see a universal constant among systems and the chemical properties of the lifeforms within it.

If different kinds of biochemistries were to emerge it would of probably happened on earth, but every single living thing on Earth from crazy archaea that lives in volcanic vents and eats sulfur, to bizarre asymmetrical sponges, pine trees, and humans are all related to each other.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

No, they created it. Seriously, the panspermia theory is not only valid, it is reasonable.

We know microbes and simple multi-cellular life can exist for years in space and revive when exposed to suitable conditions.

Deep-sea research at "black smokers" reveals that complex life can survive and thrive in (what are for us) extremely "alien" conditions where life as we know it should not exist.

"Extremophiles" thrive and evolve in sub-zero or super-heated conditions. In extreme alkali as well as acid environments. Inside of rocks that are millions of years old.

Our DNA is not unique or necessary. It was engineered for these conditions and arrived, one way or another, millions of years ago.

jw

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Nice one, and imo human life at least could have originated on Mars,Im not sure 100%, but I do think the timeline on things and our possible past is not what is told...

I stumbled on this article, yet the name might scare you away from reading it, it is an iterpretation of the bible in away.

TAKE A RIDE ON SATAN'S SPACESHIP

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

May I humbly suggest this recent thread as many of the questions asked are addressed by some of our most insightful members:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You have here some info about a whole lot of alien reptilians and dna.
You should see all 12 episodes...

Eventually they formed a hybrid race with the Atlanteans. It is from this group that the Illuminati or ruling families descended. There are seven different species in the Draco empire. One type has white segmented skin, cat-like eyes, wings, and a pronounced jaw and teeth.

The Illuminati are planning a "staged alien invasion" to trick people into forming a one-world government and they'll use holographic technology to project imaginary battles, Swerdlow warned. Ultimately, they seek to send millions of people out to colonize habitable moons of Jupiter and Saturn, he added.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
If different kinds of biochemistries were to emerge it would of probably happened on earth

Absolutely agree with you Mike. We have a HUGE variety of life here and know that the universe contains the same elements and obeys the same laws of physics. A lifeform that evolved on a different planet would most likely have similar biochemistry and probably similar appearance - you need legs to get around, hands and opposable thumbs to hold tools, eyes so you don't bump into stuff, etc.

Sorry to disappoint the weird alien hopefuls, but if you're a squishy blob or telepathic fishman, you can't really mine metals or build faster than light drives for your intergalactic starship. In fact, you'll never get to the building fire stage and will have to eat your protozoans raw.

new topics

top topics

join