It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch out, we're being "Shallow-Hal'd"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I guess it how you've been raised that determines how you "judge" others. Not everyone is a victim of the Madison Avenue conspiracy.

I don't count myself in the "we" that you speak of in the op.

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it but you don't speak for me.

I had never heard of either of the singers in the you tube vids. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AHostileMe

because they were silly enough to think that only "pretty" people can sing.

you don't disagree.
you said basically the same thing the op is saying. here, pink tells it from another angle

what's wrong with just being yourself?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thankyou for sharing Valhall. Ive shed tears for both of these people. Beautiful souls indeed. Another example of the innate gifts we all have.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
OMG I never expected theses sort of things to be talked about in a positive way here

Many like I, who hate these reality talent shows must’ve felt guilty falling for it eventually.
I’m still not over Paul Potts and now this Boyle lady.

However, many of you also forgot to mention that in the “hateful rhetoric” There is also this:They will be used as plants to get people together so to facilitate the NWO! Yet, these two jewels are real life revelations, unmanufactured real people with extraordinary gifts but eventually, they will also get spit on by the same people that claims to be fighters for the people’s spirit.

To get back on topic now.

The sad part in this superficial game is that we all lose in the end by being judged solely on attractiveness/unattractiveness.
Frankly, I find that we can’t seem to handle even physical beauty to begin with. Beauty in its physical aspect has its value and is much more wonderfully complex. Instead of being admiring of it, we still use this beauty to crate envy, hatred.

It seems like every gift given to mankind is turned into poison. While the beauty that comes from within is much more powerful and timeless, it is not immune from the ugliness also in us.
Anyway, from now on those two will sure help us getting trough 2012 won't they?

S&F for refreshing thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
eek, i love this thread! you are so right! check out this awesome lady. raw, unabashed talent, sung from the soul

YAY! See, I never watched American Idol so all these people who tried out and maybe didn't make the audition or didn't make it to the end, I don't know about. I tried watching the show a couple of times back in the early days, but Simon was too mean to people and I couldn't do it, so the only time I've seen people from the show is when my daughter has come to me and said "Mom, you've got to hear this person!" Then I watch their performance on youtube.

Thank you for sharing her with me! Her soul is a big irridescent bubble! That's the way I see her.

[edit on 4-16-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AHostileMe
Let me play devil's advocate here.

You are saying that she is better because her voice is more beautiful than others.

I'm sorry, but you're not going to be able to find anywhere that I said anything remotely like this. Please re-read my post. No where do I insinuate that there is anything better about this woman than anyone else.

But I do find it ironic that I'm now in the position to have to say "I don't think Susan Boyle is better than anyone else"...it's a pleasant irony to experience.

Because the rest of your comments were based off this mis-statement (misinterpretation???) of my OP, I don't have anything else to say toward them.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici

I don't count myself in the "we" that you speak of in the op.

I actually expected at least one person to make this statement when I chose to speak in that voice...my intention was to speak of societal trends whether those trends apply to myself or not. I spoke as a member of society, and while I do not mistreat, prejudge or oppress people based on their physical appearance, I'm not real sure I've done enough to change the societal situation...so I choose to speak as a member of society. If it doesn't apply to you, that's fine.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
But the point I am trying to make is that you are calling people shallow because they choose to see beauty in physical appearances first. I don't think that someone is shallow because of that, it is our nature to do so. Look at the animals.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i reckon few of youse were around when the TV sit-com Gomer Pyle... a spin off character from Andy Griffiths 'Mayberry...

'Gomer' went into the US Marines as an apparently 'country bumpkin, gas station grease monkey intellect'...

but himself, sang with a strong, vibrant, Operatic, baritone voice...
much to the astonishment of the TV cast of players and an incredulous audience too.

been there, seen that.. but Bravo to the Scotts-Lady who herself has lived a marginalized life... because of being stereo-typed

thanks,

[edit on 16-4-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AHostileMe
But the point I am trying to make is that you are calling people shallow because they choose to see beauty in physical appearances first. I don't think that someone is shallow because of that, it is our nature to do so. Look at the animals.

I'm actually not okay with setting my mark at the same level as a dog. But if it works for you, I'm okay with that for you.

And I also did not say anything negative about choosing to see beauty in physical appearance first. I get great joy from viewing beauty - physical beauty. I also get great joy for witnessing the revelation of a beautiful spirit - completely disconnected from the material world. What I spoke of is minimization of the value of another person based solely on the critique of the physical.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
To witness a truly beautiful being revealed right before your eyes when they have been suppressed to almost invisibility in the past due to intolerance and nonacceptance.

All I know about those two is from the youtube videos, so I do not understand why you are saying they have been so "supressed". So they are not the most attractive individuals, they are certainly not hidious freaks. They seem like reasonably intelligent individuals and I would not assume their life has been "hell" due to the tormenting of the masses.

So the woman was never kissed. Lord knows there are plenty of males that will go after ANYTHING female, she is not that unattractive. If she has never been kissed I am sure she made some choices that lead up to that.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by Valhall
To witness a truly beautiful being revealed right before your eyes when they have been suppressed to almost invisibility in the past due to intolerance and nonacceptance.

All I know about those two is from the youtube videos, so I do not understand why you are saying they have been so "supressed". So they are not the most attractive individuals, they are certainly not hidious freaks. They seem like reasonably intelligent individuals and I would not assume their life has been "hell" due to the tormenting of the masses.

So the woman was never kissed. Lord knows there are plenty of males that will go after ANYTHING female, she is not that unattractive. If she has never been kissed I am sure she made some choices that lead up to that.

It probably wouldn't take you long to find their stories. The information I shared came from them.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
here's another good one although it didn't win the final round

i thought it was brilliant

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

thanks for sharing what is in your heart. I realy enjoy seeing posts like this one to break up the gloom and doom. I wish everyone could feel the feeling you have while watching these clips. It's a true natural high that I wish would last forever. Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I always feel like my post never gets read.. but hey I'm truly not bothered but somehow feel that my voice though strong insignificant .. this post really at first gander has nothing to do with talent shows and people gaining fame.. the brainwashing of society does define beauty and it's disgusting because there are those deemed unattractive that truly need acceptance to feel good while living on hell(only perspective)I truly enjoy everyday whether it was created by evil or not. I just wanted to convey my heart gets weak when I see people that need love but may not receive it based on this definition of what is in or out no matter how powerful the talents and attributes one can display they still need to have a certain look to be accepted.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Thank you for an inspiring post. I have found these two singers to be an inspiration for those whose lives may be modest, but who still have dreams.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Wow! That was incredible. It shot straight through my soul. I have never been a fan of opera but that was amazing. Completely unexpected. I even teared up a bit at his conclusion. I hope he wins the entire competition.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This post is for those who believe that "if you didn't have the back story and the emotion of the moment" Susan Boyle's voice would be mediocre.

www.dailyrecord.co.uk...< br />
Click the player there at the top - it's not the Britain's Got Talent song (they just used the image from that). It's an audio of Susan Boyle singing the blues ballad "Cry me a River" on a charity CD made in 1999.

Now - what we have to figure out in order to shallow-hal the rest of the world is how we are going to help people see the real beauty in others when the person not seen correctly DOESN'T have a spectacular voice to reveal themselves through. That takes changing the beholder. Remember, it's not her performance that caused the error or the correction, it was the wrong reception from the start. If she had come out and sang every note off and forgot the words, that hateful unaccepting reception would have stuck with those that see others "wrongly".

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
That link isn't working well.

Go to this site and go to the SECOND one. It works well.

www.inquisitr.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Oh, lord...Susan's got competition!

Two more beautiful people who have revealed themselves through their love for each other.

www.youtube.com...

I laughed till I cried.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join