learn more

Watch out, we're being "Shallow-Hal'd"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidney thief

Also, your tangent on how people who socialize heavily on boards get to see the real person, the tru heart of someone else because the physical body is ignored, is a LAUGH (no offense). I am certain that most people choose to socialize more on internet forums because they can HIDE the true person, and become anyone they want.. they have a veil of anonymity. They can reinvent themselves, they can edit what they say, they can take the time to respond in a certain way that would hide what maybe their true response is, something that cant be done in real-time conversations.

Actually the people you're talking about above (i.e. the digital-ego group) are not the people I was referring to. And believe it or not - that group is pretty transparent on the screen, just like they would be standing before you. Being able to wordsmith a post for the sake of perfecting is not the same as putting up a facade. It allows you to say what you may not be able to say properly in real life...that's not fake, that's perfecting your message.

NOt only that, but by going off on how by being able to see peoples real souls thru internet forums is your way of appealing and attracting to others, just the same as someone trying to do it thru physical means. or so it APPEARS to me.

Yeah...that's what it was. You nailed me. I can't even breath properly unless I know for certain you're reading my threads.

*shakes head and walks off*

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Excellent post OP. My wake-up routine is get my coffee, light a smoke and check out the front page of MSN (yes, before I come to ATS). Right there was the story about the woman from Scotland.

Naturally, I checked out the YOU-TUBE vid. It touched my heart. It just goes to show that everyone has something to offer the world. They just need a chance/guts to show it.

If we all thought about what we can give instead of the opposite, it would be such a beautiful life.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I agree with ImaginaryReality1984.

Even though people might learn, I doubt it will last.

After all, people will always judge by appearance, no matter how much they say they don't.

Of course different people may judge appearance in a difference way, but I really doubt the majority is being "Shallow Hal'd", as in the film. Which really was about appreciating one's inner beauty.

At best, they're just made aware of the possibility of less attractive people being great singers, nothing more, nothing less.

Especially with teenagers, some claim the inside counts, but in the end you'll always notice that the majority of the less attractive boys just don't seem to have the ''charisma'' or ''sexy-ness'' that those ''inside counts'' girls proclaim they're looking for.

My personal views make me disagree with the majority of the female population regarding relationships in all aspects (not just attraction).

Which has only enforced my views of remaining a virgin all my life (Not 100% celibacy though)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So many times on this site threads are filled with doom , gloom and paranoia so to watch those videos and listen to those voices was awesome and inspirational. In our material world it can can be so difficult to move beyond the signals that have been hardwired into our being, yet when we do there are delightful rewards to be found.

OP, thank you so much!

Start and flag for you.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So many times on this site threads are filled with doom , gloom and paranoia so to watch those videos and listen to those voices was awesome and inspirational. In our material world it can can be so difficult to move beyond the signals that have been hardwired into our being, yet when we do there are delightful rewards to be found.

OP, thank you so much!

Start and flag for you.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder here, since I think Mr. Potts is kinda cute...I'd go out with him; I find him rather attractive, both physically and intellectually. And his body physique seems fine to me too!

And Susan Boyle seems as someone I wouldn't mind having as a friend. She seems nice, intelligent, and peppy, someone you could have fun with.

This could be because I simply seek in others the deeper aspects of their total being (I am especially drawn to nice, creative, and caring people), or it could be that each person's perception of another person varies greatly.

But either way, great thread. And I loved Shallow Hal, a very significant, eye-opening movie.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Beautiful post thank you for sharing this insight. I often think of this as well if people worked as hard on the inside as they do in their outside then the world would be a much better place! I cried happy and sad tears. Sad because it took a lifetime of hurt to nurture a beautiful soul like these two have and happy that they finally got retribution.

S&F to you

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I like the way you think. On a message board, particularly one such as this, you can express yourself in ways that one wouldn't IRL except around good friends. Very nice for social phobes like yours truly. No worry about the distractions of how someone looks or talks, no forming opinions on someone because of preconceived generalizations, no worry about appearing "normal" and conforming, it's just the message itself that matters. It's hard to have a real conversation these days with all the phoniness. Lots of possibilities for expressing yourself via avatars, signatures, etc (maybe I'll get to that eventually).

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Where can I possibly begin, Valhal.? First off, on a personal note I want 2 Thank You for who you are and what you bring to the world. It's little things, or gestures like these that can really make someone's day or simply bring some1 up.
I don't watch much TV....and I'm assuming that was American Idol...but I
almost choked when I heard Paul singing "Nessun Dorm." ( means No1 SLeeps in Italian dialect)
Being from Italy, that song has a very special place in my heart, and my mom used to sing it when I was little. She recently passed away, and every time I hear it, it hits me like a ton of bricks!
So, that said, you really brought me up with your post.
The words you expressed..... are BLISS! And prolific!
Amazing how words define and redefine our thoughts at times.... .. .
I, atleast, appreciate how you took your time to remind us of our values, and the importance of being a good person.
You are truly genuine, and I respect you.
I wish more people had your nature in this world.
Again, thank you.
And thanx for bringing my mom's smile back in that instant.
You should know you made my day, and I wanted to take a few moments to express my gratitude. Yes yes.

Just goes to show how easy it is to spread positive karma.
Dig it.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I love your post. I also had never seen either of those two before, and it was really refreshing. The 'mainstream' standard of music that modern society adheres to now days is absolute garbage. It saddens the heart when you realize that true artists like Janis Joplin wouldn't have made it if she were trying to break into the music scene today. How many more atrists from days passed would never be allowed to make the same contribution in todays entertainment industry? I almost long for the (relatively) faceless music of days gone by. It is a truism I think, video did kill the radio star.

Chrono

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Also, your tangent on how people who socialize heavily on boards get to see the real person, the tru heart of someone else because the physical body is ignored, is a LAUGH (no offense). I am certain that most people choose to socialize more on internet forums because they can HIDE the true person, and become anyone they want.. they have a veil of anonymity. They can reinvent themselves, they can edit what they say, they can take the time to respond in a certain way that would hide what maybe their true response is, something that cant be done in real-time conversations.

Actually the people you're talking about above (i.e. the digital-ego group) are not the people I was referring to. And believe it or not - that group is pretty transparent on the screen, just like they would be standing before you. Being able to wordsmith a post for the sake of perfecting is not the same as putting up a facade. It allows you to say what you may not be able to say properly in real life...that's not fake, that's perfecting your message.

NOt only that, but by going off on how by being able to see peoples real souls thru internet forums is your way of appealing and attracting to others, just the same as someone trying to do it thru physical means. or so it APPEARS to me.

Yeah...that's what it was. You nailed me. I can't even breath properly unless I know for certain you're reading my threads.

*shakes head and walks off*

OK thats cool, i understand what you are saying.. i just meant that having an interface between people such as an internet forum allows for a person to alter someone else's immediate impression of them. its not always in a beneficial way, or even an intentional way; for instance, i am much more articulate in person than on a board like this because i am not someone who spends a lot of time socializing on here and find it easier to speak directly to somebody.

It is always the case, with whatever you are dealing with: the medium invariably has an effect on what the end result is going to be -- from artwork to broadcast media to even the refraction of light thru a substance.

I wasnt trying to nail you for anything, just wanted you to notice that you are in fact trying to appeal to the internet culture that may read your post as being someone who cares about people's actual selves, one who disregards the shallow inclinations of most people, and who wishes to have a more direct connection with people.... (which i am not denying you truly are by any means) you are in a sense trying to appeal to people who are interested in the emotional and spiritual, and that is fine; just as fine as someone trying to make themselves appealing thru physical means, to someone who is interested in the physical.

walk away and shake your head, fine; your exasperation is hasty and revealing. not trying to argue; merely trying to raise the question: where is the line drawn?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I wasnt trying to nail you for anything, just wanted you to notice that you are in fact trying to appeal to the internet culture that may read your post as being someone who cares about people's actual selves, one who disregards the shallow inclinations of most people, and who wishes to have a more direct connection with people.... (which i am not denying you truly are by any means) you are in a sense trying to appeal to people who are interested in the emotional and spiritual, and that is fine; just as fine as someone trying to make themselves appealing thru physical means, to someone who is interested in the physical.

Actually, I wasn't "trying" to do anything but share my thoughts. I think that's where you're hung up between facades and getting to know people, you appear to try to discern from your own position other's intentions instead of taking other's words at face value.

That's why I walk away and do not care how you take or interpret my backside.

Seriously, I didn't say anything but what was in my heart and on my mind. As has been my position for 6 years on this board...take it or leave it, it makes no difference to me.

[edit on 4-15-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
S&F!

Anyone enjoying this thread should attempt reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde!

I agree OP. Both videos brought tears to my eyes, but responses from people have touched me more than anything. I hope this causes a movement in which people will start treating each other with mutual respect, instead of judging someone for their looks on a whim.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
eek, i love this thread! you are so right! check out this awesome lady. raw, unabashed talent, sung from the soul

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
WOW

I almost didn't open this thread

something about the title didn't appeal to me

I never saw either performer before, and that was my loss

Wonderful

Im posting this , with a star and flag

then im gonna relink , and listen again

TY

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Absolutely Amazing!
I don't watch much television at all, unless it's UFC, or NFL. And I definitely never watch American Idol, but just by watching those two video's that both brought tears to my eyes, I think if it were available here, I would tune in to Britian's got talent.
Thanks so much for sharing those video's and starting this thread.
S&F

Stealth

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Today in this uncertain world we live in, people are looking for a ray of hope and are in need of a Cinderella story. The world found it in Susan Boyle the assumed underdog that in most peoples minds did not stand a chance.

It was worth watching the judges facial expressions when she began to sing like a bird. Susan Boyle had one shot and waited her whole life for this moment in time where she could sing before a large live audience.

She finished singing the song of her life and not thinking about her being judged started walking off the stage because her everything and her essence of being was for this one moment in time to sing her heart out before the world to hear and see. She accomplished the first part of her dream and now she is one of the most well known singers and faces in the world thanks to the internet.

So with all that is going on with the World Susan Boyle gave us all joy and a moment away from all our problems.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by amari]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Let me play devil's advocate here.

You are saying that she is better because her voice is more beautiful than others.

What about those whose faces are more beautiful than their voices?

You're just picking one aspect of beauty over another. Wouldn't that make you shallow?

No personal attacks here. It's just that we all choose to like what we like. Whether we like a performer by the voice or by the way the drum beats. I may like a painter for the composition in their works. You may like a painter for the vivid use of colors in their works.

Nature has given us many beautiful colors and sounds. I may like to look at a lake at night and enjoy the way the moon sets and reflects. However, my wife finds the sounds of the peepers to be soothing. One's attraction is no more valid than anothers'. It's how we are programmed.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AHostileMe

i think she's trying to say that no matter WHO you are, you are beautiful! and that's absolutely true. we are all works of art in our own fashion. the standard concepts of beauty are perhaps causing some extremely talented and personally beautiful people to be ignored or isolated. that's a shame. there's more than one kind of beauty too. there's physical beauty, and, in this case, beauty of the soul. you gotta admit, that about sums it up!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I disagree and I still stand by my statement. OP is stating that we are all being brought down one person at a time.

I say that we all decide what we find beautiful or artistic and it's no one else's place to tell us that we are shallow for finding beauty in that specific place.

Maybe the fascination with the lady's voice is shallow. Did she write the song?

Yes, it was cool that the audience was duped by this lady, because they were silly enough to think that only "pretty" people can sing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join