It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert/NASA Decision to be made tonight!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Full Story Source

The mystery and pseudo-controversy surrounding the ISS's unnamed node ends this Tuesday, when astronaut Sunita Williams will go on The Colbert Report to tell the world what NASA has decided to do.

It will probably not end well for the social media savvy Stephen Colbert, whose dedicated fan base was able to trounce the four "official" names that NASA provided. NASA has all but confirmed that the node will be named Serenity, which was the top vote getter amongst the NASA-sanction entries.

However, rumour is Colbert might still get his wish, sort of, as Comedy Central is pimping the Colbert Report NASA appearance as evidence of the fact that the stuffy government space agency is going to bestow a named toilet on cable's most outspoken fake news commentator

If they are going on his show, it can't be to say they chose serenity. I think we are finally making some headway into what NASA has needed since post-moon landing......and that's public interest.

It airs on his show tonight, which starts at 10:30 central time.

More coverage of this story can be found on colbertnation by clicking this link

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I have always loved The Colbert Report and hope Stephen wins it. Read his book and it was amazing, loved it and would highly recommend it. I do agree that is what NASA needs and hope everything goes well.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
Full Story Source

The mystery and pseudo-controversy surrounding the ISS's unnamed node ends this Tuesday, when astronaut Sunita Williams will go on The Colbert Report to tell the world what NASA has decided to do.

It will probably not end well for the social media savvy Stephen Colbert, whose dedicated fan base was able to trounce the four "official" names that NASA provided. NASA has all but confirmed that the node will be named Serenity, which was the top vote getter amongst the NASA-sanction entries.

However, rumour is Colbert might still get his wish, sort of, as Comedy Central is pimping the Colbert Report NASA appearance as evidence of the fact that the stuffy government space agency is going to bestow a named toilet on cable's most outspoken fake news commentator

If they are going on his show, it can't be to say they chose serenity. I think we are finally making some headway into what NASA has needed since post-moon landing......and that's public interest.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Fremd]

You're wrong. Wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

You're WRONG!

WRONG WRONG!

WRONG!

They'll be on his show, to give him a silly run-up prize and that's all.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You're WRONG!

WRONG WRONG!

WRONG!

wow...that was quite the rational response

i'll make to to immortalize your opinion and respond to it tomorrow after the verdict is in.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd

You're WRONG!

WRONG WRONG!

WRONG!

wow...that was quite the rational response

i'll make to to immortalize your opinion and respond to it tomorrow after the verdict is in.

Maybe this will clear it up.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

Hehe

I was definitely wrong. I'll admit that i had too much faith in NASA to do the right thing.

It doesn't matter what the minority of votes think "should be" the name. The name "Colbert" won fair and square.

The fact is that an organization funded with USA tax dollars that touts it's origins were founded in the desire to showcase democracy, has given the world yet another prime example of how flawed democracy is in the face of adversity.

From the 2000 election to the Colbert Nation getting corn holed, it doesn't matter who gets more votes when democracy isn't actually in place.

Next time, NASA should just say "unless you're a space nerd, you are not allowed to vote, because we'll wash your opinion aside"

The appeasement that NASA gave was enough to prevent a flogging from the masses of people, but in time will fade from memory of the general public. Which, if you want my two cents, is where NASA does not want to be (a faded memory) like they have been since post-moon-landing.

I never again want to hear another space geek complain about what's fair and that nobody cares about NASA.

NASA does not care about NASA, and this just goes to prove it.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
they have already said they are naming a treadmill after him. That is his runner up prize.

colbert has had astronomists on his show. He is trying to renew interest in the space program.

I really think it would be a good idea to help promote the space program to a younger crowd.

but legallyit may be an issue since governmetn agencies are not supposed to promote franchises. and colbert is a show and a product.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

"the colbert report" is a show and a product

the name "colbert" is just a name

i doubt there's legal ramifications to be considered (though i've been wrong with frivolous laws before)

their decision to squash democracy lies in the ideal that there's lots of space dorks out there crying "foul" because Colbert won....so NASA appeases their narrow minded followers by giving the finger to the general public.

But hey, who i am to tell them how to run things?
I was just basing my assumption on the fact that it's NASA...democracy, and a true winner who had more votes than all the other entries could've dreamed of in a much shorter time.

To me that says success

to nasa that says "uhh.."

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
they have already said they are naming a treadmill after him. That is his runner up prize.

awww! I really wanted the toilet named after him, NASA don't have much of a sence of humour - but they do sometimes have toilet humour.

The Colbert treadmill just aint funny,

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
He tried to show them up by ruining their voting for it and name it after himself , which I think is hilarious . And in turn they will not name it after him but name a toilet on there after him as a kind of a diss or to get back at him.

He in turn will find a way to make a positive out of it and go back at them. ( what I predict anyway).

Should make for good tv.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
He tried to show them up by ruining their voting for it and name it after himself , which I think is hilarious . And in turn they will not name it after him but name a toilet on there after him as a kind of a diss or to get back at him.

He in turn will find a way to make a positive out of it and go back at them. ( what I predict anyway).

Should make for good tv.

...they never named a toilet after him...it was a treadmill.

And he didnt force anyone to vote. He brought this to the attention of his fans and they acted to get it named after him.

They would not have voted unless they wanted to.

ANd NASA through their enthusiasm back in our faces.

I for one am for boycotting NASA.

Not only have they made absolutely ZERO remarkable discoveries since going back to the moon, but their unamerican democratic process is miserable.

What has all those tax dollars been going towards?
Nothing.
We have found absolutely ... nothing!

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
They didn't even "officially" name the treadmill after him. It's actually called a long name that I can't recall at the moment, but if you take the first letter of each word it comes out as an acronym that spells out C.O.L.B.E.R.Treadmill

Colbert fans: "We won, what do we get?"
NASA: "silly kids, Trix is for rabbits."

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Stephen Colbert is hilarous, i watch his show whenever i can and remember to. But there not gonna give him much leeway though, especially with his questions.

Just let Stephen be Stephen and i'll be happy as a pig in mud.

new topics

top topics

join