It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Bans Cultivation of GM Corn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Germany Bans Cultivation of GM Corn

Germany has banned the cultivation of GM corn, claiming that MON 810 is dangerous for the environment. But that argument might not stand up in court and Berlin could face fines totalling millions of euros if American multinational Monsanto decides to challenge the prohibition on its seed.

*Snip*

Experts in Aigner's ministry recently told SPIEGEL that it will be hard to prove conclusively that MON 810 damages the environment, which could enable Monsanto to win a court case opposing the ban and potentially expose the government to €6-7 million ($7.9-9.2 million) in damages.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

......But, Monsanto can't prove conclusively that it's products don't damage the envirenment and although the burden of proof rests on the shoulders of Aigner, not Monsanto, long term studies have yet to be carried out which back up what Monsanto is saying.

The loop hole is this: Instead of trying to prove MON 810's damaging effects, simply state that extensive research on the product has not been conducted to ensure that it indeed does not damage the envirenment. After all, any company is resposible for making sure it's products are safe for commercial and industrial use.

-Dev

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Great news! I just hope that the politicians here in Canada take note of just how bad Monsanto is.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Already being discussed Here.

Good find however, I think it's great that were no longer allowing people to mess with our food at that level.

Long live natural products..

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I saw it in that thread but I figured that it belonged in this forum. The news forums don't stay focused on one topic for too long.

I saw it earlier today and just didn't get around to posting before anyone else. Early bird gets the worm, I guess.....

-Dev

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i think it was just one variety, not GM crops in general.

i also believe that the Fragile Earth forum would have been a more adequate place to post it, before it got inundated with global warming partisanship bickering, that is. as crueal as it will sound, if it killed a few people, like the EMS incident of 1989* lasting damage wouldn't occur. destroyed wastelands otoh would affect everyone very quickly**.

funny that i wrote that, having participated in too many b***fests than advisable.

*EMS, follow-up

**www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2009.4.15 by Long Lance]

new topics

top topics

join