It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is big - [IMAGE]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+206 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How big is the universe? Well, according to this image then we are very, very small and the universe is in reality incomprehensible...

LINK TO IMAGE

This is a large and very long image.....start at the top and carry on down, hopefully getting that 'wow' feeling.

I know there are many videos similar to this but sometimes it's nice to have a picture.

Apologies if this has been previously posted.

enjoy

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Star and a flag for bringing this to my attention.

There's so much out there we'll never know, things that would blow our minds.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Nice post
Here's a GIF that animates some of the images in sequence...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebc17f195a38.gif[/atsimg]

A thread with a similar theme...Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Very nice... I was going to split it up into a little slideshow but no need now - great.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
I know there are many videos similar to this but sometimes it's nice to have a picture.

There is this vid - uses a lot of the images from that picture...

It's bonkers to think on that scale... Nope I'm much more at home hating my fellow man, being selfish and of course narrow minded.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Pfff, it's not that big ...

My ego is bigger than that!

It is however beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

[edit on 14 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Every time I put it back into perspective it amazes me again and again.

Looking at just how truly vast the universe is... well, nothing makes me cry, but this almost makes me shed a tear.

The universe is so absolutely incredible... and we are so insignificant.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I read in a book, that the human brain is unable to actually understand how gigantic these things are.

These objects are so far away too, that we dont even see them as they are now, but how they used to be.

You've really knocked me down a peg, my problems feel much less significant.

And for alien guys (not attacking) heres the problem, how could one find a little planet like ours, itd be like trying to find this period . On jupiter! At even that isn't extreme enough.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Remember size has nothing to do with significance in this universe.

It's all about perspective, we ARE special in a way in my opinion, just like so many unknown things out there in the universe, that's what makes the universe truly amazing, we are part of the universe, we are the universe!
who knows what else is out there and how much there is to learn.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

And for alien guys (not attacking) heres the problem, how could one find a little planet like ours, itd be like trying to find this period . On jupiter! At even that isn't extreme enough

That is superb! I love it - but SO true - putting it like that makes sense!

The universe is just awe-inspiring (I love laying in bed and thinking about it, or looking 'up' when outside.

@Now_then - thanks for the video, nicely done.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hello everyone. First time poster at ATS.

Awesome pic. After watching those pictures how can anybody think we're alone in the universe??

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

And for alien guys (not attacking) heres the problem, how could one find a little planet like ours, itd be like trying to find this period . On jupiter! At even that isn't extreme enough.

No, you just find any planet that can support life due to its characteristic and start to evolve life there. There are so many types of DNA you can design and test under real conditions.

[edit on 4/14/2009 by stander]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
@Now_then - thanks for the video, nicely done.

Just to say that's not my vid!! (don't wan't people to think that's my work!! - although I wish I did do that sort of thing)

Just remembered it as soon as I saw the pic.

And about the alien dudes finding us... We may be small... But you also got to factor in how much we have being shouting at the universe in the past 100 years!!... You just have to swing past when everyones in bed - our planet is lit up like an xmas tree...

Then you got the all radio waves and there are a couple of man made items that have actually left the solar system by now... Voyager and Pioneer probes off the top of my head.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I enjoy seeing pictures and videos of how big our universe is. It really opens up the mind to the fact that their is much more out there than we can even imagine. To think that we are the only life forms in the universe would be truly moronic.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
That is really amazing..It just makes me sad because i will never be able to see some of those wonderful places and really comprehend what is out there.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
That's a very, very nice picture. I enjoy using a telescope on clear nights and looking out there for what I can... and I like to think I know a bit about the universe but man, I never really realized how much bigger some of the things I've been looking for are, yet they are so tiny to me

I'm going to need a bigger telescope!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I prefer this animated version of the information, mainly because it comes with some "wicked drum and bass beat, bo!"

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Bravo! I love threads like this. It really does put a lot of things in perspective.

For me, things like this are proof of the fact that there must be other lifeforms out there somewhere. It also, for me, is a proof of God. I think it's impossible to look at something like this and not be moved in awe and wonder. I like to see an intelligence in it, but, that's just me.

Again, great find and a cool thread!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

LOVE THIS!!!

Thank you. Been looking for something like this for a longer period of time. Been trying to explain to my kids about the planets, the sun and the stars and how big they all are. There is no way I can make them understand. This might help a little.

So thank you!

Starred and flagged!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
thanks..the pics here are great!!
S & F

Wonderful to be able to get out of the rat race for awhile and ponder this immense universe..eh?? Proving that some technology is with merit.

Thanks again...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join