It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undeterred, Somali Pirates Hijack 4 More Ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Undeterred, Somali Pirates Hijack 4 More Ships

www.foxnews.com

Undeterred by U.S. and French hostage rescues that killed five bandits, Somali pirates brazenly hijacked four more ships in the Gulf of Aden, the waterway at the center of the world's fight against piracy.

Pirates have vowed to retaliate for deaths of their colleagues_ and the top U.S. military officer said he takes those comments seriously.

Still, despite President Barack Obama's warning Monday, pirates captured two more nautical trophies Tuesday to match two they seized a day earlier.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So, what is to come of Obama's "warning?" It doesn't look like the Somai thugs take him very seriously.

The MV Sea Horse, a Lebanese-owned cargo ship, was attacked and captured Tuesday by pirates in three or four speedboats.

That hijacking after a Greek-managed MV Irene E.M. was seized in an overnight attack by pirates.

In addition, Somali pirates also hijacked two Egyptian fishing boats in the Gulf of Aden off Somalia's northern coast, which maritime officials said had a total of 36 crew.

U.S. Navy Lt. Nathan Christensen, spokesman for the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet, said the Irene carried 23 Filipino crew.

The Irene put out a distress signal to say they had a suspicious vessel approaching. That rapidly turned into an attack and then a hijacking.

In Washington, Obama vowed the United States would work with nations around the world to fight the problem.

The French navy late Monday handed over the bodies of two Somali pirates killed in a hostage rescue operation last week to authorities in Somali's semiautonomous northern region of Puntland and locals buried the bodies.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I do not understand why there are still so many ships in this Somalia area. International waters are out there!!!
Maybe there is a lot of truth to the other thread here on ATS about the blatant and illegal dumping going on.
Dunno????

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Its going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds and what the rulers of these countries are going to do about it.
I also wonder if the US is going to get involved in any of these hijackings.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gyrochiral
I do not understand why there are still so many ships in this Somalia area. International waters are out there!

The Gulf of Aden is a "shipping lane." Ships don't just wander about the seas, they don't have the time or fuel. Access to the Indian Ocean is throught the Gulf. There's no other way.

If you want to take your boat from one continent to another, you have to drive through the Gulf of Aden on the way there or the way back. Ships have to follow internationally approved "lanes" and must use the most direct and economical routes.

It's like in the Old West, when bandits hid out on the Chisholm Trail for cattle drives, or the Western trails for Pony Express riders and freight trains.

Not much you can do except arm yourself and bring company. (International rules do not allow cargo vessels to be armed.)

jw

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Its going to be very interesting to see how this unfolds and what the rulers of these countries are going to do about it.
I also wonder if the US is going to get involved in any of these hijackings.

Oops, there goes another one!

Not to make light of a sad and serious situation, but this is the time for that "cowboy mentality" the dems/libs/progressives deride so much.

Multilateralism will get us nowhere on this. I don't recall reading how many other nations came to the Maersk Alabama's aid when it sent its distress call. Notably, no one replied to the last two either.

I'd bet that if Obama conscripted some of his mandatory volunteers for merchant-marine service, we'd hear more of an uproar from the pacifists on the left to "do something about this."

jw

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
All I can say is, it is too bad there are not enough Navy Seals to go around - 3 shots - 3 kills - I am not a violent person by nature but if you want to commit robbery - kidnap - and hijack then you should be ready to pay the price - like the 3 dead pirates did.

God bless the Navy Seals!

Dorian Soran

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Thanks..was not really aware of the Indian Ocean being accessed only through this gulf.
The metaphor of wagon train ambushes rings true.
Thanks again..

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
the pirates will get paid and the somalis will continue to take hostages.

this has been going on a very long time

the us navy seals agianst 3 uneducated pirates was no contest.

but dont look for it to happen agian. it will take something major to really put an end to the piracy issue.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo67

Our submariners need practice with detection, interception and interdiction. About 3 on patrol for 2 or 3 months at a time over the next year will end piracy.

I do not care about fair fights; I care to win. If I'm better armed than you and you are looking for a fight, I will give you one, but it will not last long.

jw

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by neo67

Our submariners need practice with detection, interception and interdiction. About 3 on patrol for 2 or 3 months at a time over the next year will end piracy.

I do not care about fair fights; I care to win. If I'm better armed than you and you are looking for a fight, I will give you one, but it will not last long.

jw

dude i dont disagree with you but being a realist obama wont follow thru thats all i am saying.

democrats have a history of cutting and running when things dont go their way

[edit on 14-4-2009 by neo67]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I agree with your assessment. Another American-flagged ship was attacked this afternoon, but they fled from the Bainbridge.

No losses, except our credibility to stand behind our "warning."

Obama is a loser; Carter magnified.

jw

new topics

top topics

join