It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Warn Of Twitter Dangers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Scientists Warn Of Twitter Dangers

edition.cnn.com

Rapid-fire TV news bulletins or getting updates via social-networking tools such as Twitter could numb our sense of morality and make us indifferent to human suffering, scientists say.

New findings show that the streams of information provided by social networking sites are too fast for the brain's "moral compass" to process and could harm young people's emotional development.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is interesting. I am sure we will so and more "studies" finding social networking that allows real time news to be a determent to the human experience.

I can understand how being exposed to such things would numb our emotions to some degree, but it isn't anything that TV and movies haven't accomplished already.

Furthermore it seems this is just part of the disinfo campaign to cast the internet, specifically forums and social networking such as ATS in a bad light.

I am sure we will be seeing more and more of these as the PTB attempts to quell the silent uprising on the internet. More political and grass roots organizations are appearing on the internet every year because of the ease of access and abundance of information.

Rockefeller himself said that the internet was their greatest concern, you can be they will be trying anything they can in order to keep control.

What say you ATS?

Edit For Spelling

~Keeper

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/14/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
HA well folks here you have it, PROOF that MSM is scared as hell of us. ATSers like you and I and members of other sites will inevitably DESTROY the MSM once and for all! The monopoly of information no longer exists and soon all information will be static and uncontrollable, that is why I think there will be some kind of electronic false flag that will be used to control and regulate the internet, kind of like what is happening in China right now! We as people of the world must not stand for this we must RISE AND FIGHT CONTROL! Maybe well come up with a slogan for the cause, "leggo my internet" maybe

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichM
The monopoly of information no longer exists and soon all information will be static and uncontrollable, that is why I think there will be some kind of electronic false flag that will be used to control and regulate the internet, kind of like what is happening in China right now!

Heck, it's being legislated RIGHT NOW...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RichM
["leggo my internet"]

How about "leggo my eggonet"?

Seriously, the PTB will be dreaming up the craziest theories and accusations in order to try stem the silent uprising of awakenings, as the OP said.

First it was 'take off the tinfoil hat' then it was 'get a job' then it was 'don't drink the koolaid' (or something) and then now, it's 'get off the internet or your brain will melt down' The next thing they'll do is simply kill the power grid.

No power grid, no internet.

Well, if they dared.

Star and flag.

What happened to the real scientists?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

What happened to the real scientists?

They don't exist. Scientists are all just whores working for whoever is paying their bills. Why do you think no one can agree on global warming, global cooling, second-hand smoke, sugar substitutes, caffeine, etc. For every study that "proves" one thing, there is another that says the opposite.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
These scientists obviously never saw the movie SAW or played many goary video games.

What kind of scientists are these anyhow?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
that's so funny....

in a nut shell, twitter is a very very very basic implementation of a chat application. Think....YAHOO Chat, MSN Chat, ICQ and the millions of other chat applications...which survive but have declined in popularity...

Did the researchers not have a control group or test other applications?

Kind of un-scientific if that's the case...unless of course it's just the title that is misleading...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I was actually having a conversation to this effect at the bar last night.

I'm from the Echo generation, (the span between X and Y, sometimes referred to as the MTV generation).

I and my fiance both have noticed some striking differences between ourselves, and those in what we called the "New curriculum" or "WTFLOL generation".

We concluded that our generation began using the internet back when it was a pursuit of intellectuals. You had to have some intelligence to communicate over the internet...

There were no web pages, you retrieved and sent e-mail by typing code directly to the server itself, and to view downloaded images (which was rare) you had to disconnect first.

Our generation prototyped the internet, and saw it through to where it is today.

The new generation entering college now has never had to use intelligence to communicate on the internet.
User friendly they call it... moron friendly is a better term.

It breeds mental laziness... and with the flood of stupidity flowing onto the net, and easier access to it by all, mental expectations are dropped. The same occurs with morals.

Morality and intelligence often share many links.
But it's not a solid partnership.

Those who enter the internet now will automatically assume everyone else in the world is an idiot and they should be as well, and that kicking your friend in the testicles is considered funny, and should be done every chance you have an audience.

Stupidity breeds stupidity.

I remember making my decision between web pages on windows, or telnet with DOS.
... the decision back then came down to :

Windows + web pages = black text on a white background. Can't send direct commands.

DOS + telnet = Whatever colors I set dos to. Can send custom commands to server.

Needless to say, back then I thought web pages were a waste of time.

... until I found out images could be viewed at the same time as text...
... THAT was groundbreaking!

These kids think they're tech savvy... little do they know they're using a refined product intended to be used by the dumbest denomination.

They're using the rubber safety pencil version of the internet.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I certainly have to agree with that post, and everybody's post for that matter. The internet as it's used today is our greatest strenght against these cronies who call themselves our masters.

The MSM is terrified because we take a story and pick it apart, trying to find the true meaning behind the disinfo.

It will be interesting to see if they ever actually speak about ATS in any news story. It wouln't surprise me for them to target a place as big and as wonderful as this eh?

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
There's another, far more pressing reason why you should stay off social networking sites:

Forget being turned into mindless drones, we already are.
Worry instead about who might want to use all that information people recklessly upload to their profiles on MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
These kids think they're tech savvy... little do they know they're using a refined product intended to be used by the dumbest denomination.

They're using the rubber safety pencil version of the internet.

Quoted for agreement.

But good lord we can't have people actually talking and communicating with each other and forming bonds with people in places they've never even visted!! What next..original thought and the realisation that 'freedom of speech' in any country is but an illusion. They'd much rather we all sat playing world of flaming warcraft or watching pop idol and not interacting...that way we dont care what they do.

A thinking populous is a dangerous populous! I dont know about you but I'd much rather be able to think.

Wayne...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The danger of communication or should I say "communication" through Internet is that you miss out on body language, tone and an actual human being in front of you. Also you don't get to see the reactions based on what/how you say it.

Now I don't know if kids and teens become a-social by also using chat rooms etc. But I do know that in the anonimity of Internet people behave differently, sometimes very not caring about what they say since there are no repercurssions. Then again, maybe just real human natuer roaring its ugly head.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Well that is just to be expected. They've been collected information from us and selling it to companies long before the internet existed. Telecomunications and credit card companies were doing it through application data in the late 70's and still do today.

Social networking simply has provided a wider avenue of information to be collected by not only companies attempting to sell information, but also employers looking for employee.s

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
What was once controlling thought through banning and burning of books and newspapers (very time consuming and inefficient) is now done with the ease and convenience of simply blocking internet access (because TV and radio is already completely run by the government.)

Brave new world, indeed.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So get thisnow they are talking aout numbing peoples morailty. its a bit late the cat is out of the bag. You guys are around 50 years too late to bring bak some morals to mankind.

this has to be a joke or something, in a world that is so full of scum, from top to bottom, laughing at all kinds of torture and hollywood ringing out saw film after saw film.

what are these guys on. They are the ones responsible for all this apathy.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
HAHAHA

These people have some audacity calling themselves scientists.

Here is an excerpt from the article

"If things are happening too fast, you may not ever fully experience emotions about other people's psychological states and that would have implications for your morality," said researcher Mary Helen Immordino-Yang.

Wait a minute... "if things are happening too fast?"

Things are already happening at break neck speeds, it's called existence.

Since the beginning of time, people have worried about the impact of technology on our world, and you know what.. it simply changes the modality, and that modality becomes the new norm.

Nothing to see hear folks...

top topics

join