It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM recalling 1.5 mill cars due to oil leak?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
GM recalling 1.5M vehicles over potential fires
No reports of fires or injuries reported in models with 3.8-liter V6 engine
It involves vehicles with a 3.8-liter V6 engine. The government says drops of oil could fall into the exhaust system and cause a fire in the engine.
GM says there have been no reports of any fires or injuries.
from msn.com
www.msnbc.msn.com...

The government has decide to have GM recall 1.5 million cars back to 1998.All of this over a oil leak that may catch fire.What about the other 45million cars that leak oil or gas .The government can give away billions for pointless lost causes ,but need to come up with this to avoid loaning automakers funding.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by deadcatsrule]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don't see any bigger picture to this story at all. While it's slightly underhanded, it is the same old underhanded. Vehicle recalls are very, very simple. Automobiles have flaws and defects... sometimes these defects are on an individual basis and sometimes they are a design problem and fleet-wide. As these defects come to the surface, sometimes they have disasterous results. Accidents, especially fatal ones, must be investigated and lawsuits generally follow. The automakers usually settle these lawsuits quickly and quietly, never letting them get to trial; but they also meticulously track them, looking for patterns and trends. They have a very sophisticated set of formulas and can determine, down to the dollar, what their most inexpensive option is... continued settlement or a recall. Recalls are very expensive and while they DO help to make your vehicle safer (or at least remove the potential for that specific disaster) they don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Recalls are done based on cold, hard dollars and cents and not on lives lost.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
How would this help keep GM up and going. If anything this should further dig the hole that GM put itself in. Recalls are done at the carmakers expense. A recall of this magnitute will cost the company millions to complete. All over an oil leak? I call BS. It seems to me as if they are trying to accelerate GM's failure and further their insolvency.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I think here is the plan. Call the recall. The gov'ment pays for it. Then that gives work to all the GM dealerships. We all know how the gov'ment like to create needless jobs just to look like they are accomplishing something.

Also if anyone from Congress is reading this. I think you should recall all 1991 Honda Accords. I have one with 225000 miles on it and it leaks oil like a bucket full of holes.... but it still runs like a top.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcatsrule

GM: we've got millions of unsold vehicles...
Gov.: Sell them?
GM: Noone want to buy our overpriced tincans...
Gov.: Give them away?
GM: Awesome plan...how about we pretend there's a problem with certain engines?
Gov.: That way noone will complain you're giving away free cars...
GM: Right!
Gov.: Love it!

new topics

top topics

join