It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of dolphins block Somali pirates

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yup, originally we were gonna use to detect submerged mines. Then it switched to reconnaissance, then a genius somewhere figured wouldn't it be great if we could get to use them as weapons!

I remember an old TV in the ocean inside of a undersea base that starred a dolphin..no it wasn't flipper

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 8bitbreakfast

Robo-phins invented to look and act like the real dolphins are mostly deployed for surveillance and military purposes.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You don't believe that a dolphin is intelligent enough to involve itself in the affairs of man? You think that it can't reason enough to know what is going on around it? The wars, pollution, the nature of man himself? Think again. Dolphins are the world's only intelligent species.

Sailors bringing their ships through French Pass, a waterway near D’Urville Island off the coast of New Zealand, learned to depend upon a porpoise named Jack to guide them through the dangerous currents. From 1871 to 1903, Jack met and piloted every boat that appeared. In 1903 a drunken passenger on The Penguin shot and wounded him. Jack recovered, resumed his self-appointed job, and for nine more years guided all ships — except The Penguin.

In 1909, the Penguin, long considered a jinxed ship, was wrecked in the passage with great loss of life.

In April, 1912, Jack vanished, never to be seen again.

www.trivia-library.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

As there are so many of them, I think the dolphins are just going about their normal business of annual mass migration to the feeding grounds. The group will be made up of a number of smaller family groups, known as pods. The pods cooperate during the hunt.

Dolphins are well documented as being intelligent creatures. The fact that they cooperate when hunting indicates they are at least as intelligent as canines. But dolphins have also been documented to carry out seemingly random acts of extreme violence and have been known for infanticide (of their own young).

I agree that the appearance of the dolphins, between the merchant ship and the pirates, is something that could, and probably is being used for propaganda.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Dolphin's are no doubt intelligent. Nobody was disputing that.

What they are NOT, is bullet-proof or indestructible, especially when it comes to aluminium-hulled speedboats barrelling into them at 30knots.

I failed to see how dolphins could block the path of a speedboat without being frightened away or seriously injured.

[edit on 14/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Fishing vessels......chasing large schools of fish. Shark follow these and then the dolphin follow the shark.
Food chain activity.
And in the open seas.. schools of any of the above....can be indeed massive in number.
Dolphin are incredible creatures....and intelligent. It is a shame that they are being used by the military and now by the media.
Smack!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So like us they are. So like us.

www.independent.co.uk...

They are the same group of bottlenose dolphins in the Moray Firth in north-east Scotland that two years ago were revealed as attacking and killing their small cousins, harbour porpoises. Now the animals have been shown to be killing their own young, in the first example of infanticide recorded in cetaceans - dolphins, porpoises and whales.

I love stories like this that bring out the "dolphins shoot rainbows out of their butts" crowd.

An animal like us and all the others.

Maybe the pirates just happened along a dolphin pit fight of sorts?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I am afraid the dolphins are protecting the pirates from themselves. For too long the pirates have been allowed to run thier kidnapping scheme, under the ruse of "protecting their waters" because they have commited little violence this game has continued on under their rules. Well, the game has changed, the Worlds Economy doesn't afford luxuries such as undisclosed ransomes.
So, because of the recent blood spilt in the water the Dolphins know its now open season on the pirates and were actually protecting the pirates from the Chinese....dontcha think!

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
What a crock!

Thousands of dolphins?! Come on. If there were thousands of dolphins, they were probably fleeing the Chinese ships and just happened to block some inbound pirates on their way out. Dolphins are very smart, and probably recognize the Chinese flags. They know the Chinese eat anything with flippers and they were all in iminent danger of being hanged upside down next to somebody's cat in the Chinese market place.

I agree,Hot Braised Flipper anyone, Mu Shu Dolphin.

Damn people we get a feel good story from MSM in the U.S.A and everybody cries BS.
But the Chinese are saved by thousands of dolphins with frickin laser beams on their heads and everybody goes ohhh! Dolphins will do that don't cha know.

Can't call Americans lying capitalists without realizing the Chinese are lying communists.

Sorry if nobody got the Austin Powers reference

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You never know the US military has been training and using dolphins for years.
Maybe the Chinese have their own trained dolphin teams?

I agree Slayer - Just too big a coincidence for me.
And I have NO doubt that Dolphins have been corrupted by the Chinese AND the US government.

Here’s just one instance where Dolphins are used...

It may be the oddest tale to emerge from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Armed dolphins, trained by the US military to shoot terrorists and pinpoint spies underwater, may be missing in the Gulf of Mexico.
Experts who have studied the US navy's cetacean training exercises claim the 36 mammals could be carrying 'toxic dart' guns.

The US navy admits it has been training dolphins for military purposes, but has refused to confirm that any are missing.

Dolphins have been trained in attack-and-kill missions since the Cold War. The US Atlantic bottlenose dolphins have apparently been taught to shoot terrorists attacking military vessels. Their coastal compound was breached during the storm, sweeping them out to sea. But those who have studied the controversial use of dolphins in the US defense programme claim it is vital they are caught quickly.

LINK

[edit on 15-4-2009 by silo13]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join