It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Dead After Sword Fight In Indiana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Do you think guns are the be all, end all for killing innocents? Well, have you ever considered swords?

Man Dies Days After Swordfight That Killed Woman

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man died Monday, days after he was involved in a swordfight with the grandson of a woman who was killed when she tried to intervene in the fight, police said.

Adolf Stegbauer, 69, died from complications of a stab wound. Charges pending against Chris Rondeau, 39, were expected to be upgraded. Police said he stabbed Stegbauer.

Franziska Stegbauer, 77, also died as a result of stab wounds after the fight early Thursday morning, but police were not initially sure which of the men had stabbed her.

Rondeau and Adolf Stegbauer got into an argument at a home in the 5200 block of Raceway Road that escalated when one of the men grabbed a sword, prompting the other man to also brandish a sword.

Rondeau was already held on an attempted murder charge stemming from the stabbing of Adolf Stegbauer.

Replaced 'quote' tags with 'ex' tags for external material.

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Just like the good old days.

A sword fight.

I wonder if they smacked each other with a glove in the proper tradition.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Last Summer the UK banned certain types of swords.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Last month a woman was hit in the Bronx of all places by an arrow.

thedailyvoice.com...

Google "stabbing" as news during the last 24 hour period and it's amazing what comes up. Far more individual stories than "shooting" yet there are more outlets covering each instance of "shooting."

Clear and stupid bias against guns.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
There can be only one!

Natural selection is doing it's job and weeding out the stupid. So when should we expect to see the sword control crowd clamoring for tighter sword legislations?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
HERE IT IS!

We finally have proof now that these "swords" should be TAKEN OFF THE STREETS!

If we had a registration program, with serial numbers, and perhaps a 3 day waiting period before you're allowed to take delivery of any cutlery, these atrocities would stop!

When. oh when, will our government grow a pair and take these dangerous weapons away from us?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
All I keep thinking is, "I killed a guy with a trident" Brick Tamlin.

I was a paramedic for years, so while I find this very sad, I also can't stop laughing at the absurdity of it! My son fenced for awhile and I could totally see some of those guys grabbing a sword and dueling.

I'll stick to my BJJ, boxing, and MMA thank you.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
guns are more dangerous than swords, thats why soldiers use guns these days.

perhaps there should be sword control aswell though, idiots shouldn't be allowed to own dangerous weapons.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This almost made me fall out of my chair at work laughing, its so absurd there aren't really words to describe it. Being a responsible firearm owner I can only hope now that people band together and vehemently demand that all swords be completely outlawed because obviously they are far too dangerous!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I wonder if they were "RenFest" types. I don't know if the instict of most people would be to grab a sword during an arguement.

Sorry to the RenFesters who frequent this board, but you know you are dorks.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

If you have to apologize before posting your insult, maybe you shouldn't be posting it? I am a "RenFester" (we call ourselves Rennies usually) and I would disagree with your assertion that we are all dorks. Do we have some who are? Sure. Just like every other group of people. Despite being a rennie, my first inclination in an argument has never been to grab one of my swords.

I collect my swords and know how to use them properly just the same as most gun owners collect their weapons out of appreciation and learn how to use them properly. While I might not have the same tight restrictions on owning swords or daggers, I still get the same hassle for "carrying" that gun owners do, too. Pulled over once on my way up to work at the faire, I had my weapons (peace tied at that) stored with my spare garb and accessories in the trunk of my jeep, I was running late and so had gotten dressed up in most of my garb before leaving my house, yet still was treated like a mass murdering criminal on my way to a massacre for daring to have my blades in my trunk "concealed". Frankly, it was pretty ridiculous. It was entirely obvious what I was about and I was still hassled for my "concealed weapons". I have an enormous amount of sympathy for gun owners dealing with that.

Admittedly only anecdotal evidence, but having conversations with quite a few other sword and dagger collectors, it seems that a lot of us are 2A advocates and know that our weapons can be targeted just as easily as guns and don't want to see that happen.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax
If we had a registration program, with serial numbers, and perhaps a 3 day waiting period before you're allowed to take delivery of any cutlery, these atrocities would stop!

Are you serious? Do you really think someone first decides to kill someone, then runs down to the local sword shop, drops a few bills, then heads to his victims place to hide in the bushes? Does the serial number burn itself into the victims flesh as the sword slashes? If a nefarious individual can't wait 3 days, he's probably not going to be using a sword in the first place.

A registration program, serial numbers, a 3 day waiting program... for swords. What's next? Steak knives? I suppose you also propose a registration program for baseball bats. What about tire irons? Should their be a 3 day wait and criminal background checks for disposable razors?

I realize you would simply rather not have this type of violence occurring. I feel the same way. But the measures you propose would not have stopped this from happening, only cost tax dollars, and server as a pointless inconvenience to samurais and dragon slayers everywhere.

In this day and age, a sword, most of the time is a weapon of opportunity, not intent. Who knows why these two men owned the swords, but I'll bet my next months income that they weren't procured right before, and for the sole purpose of murdering one another.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Woops, edited out a whole lot of stupid.

Anyway, it's sarcastic what he's saying.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Man, do you understand sarcasm AT ALL? Do you honestly think I condone a waiting period FOR CUTLERY????

It was meant as a joke dude.
Geeez!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sorry- double post- that threw me for a loop!

[edit on 14/4/09 by MajesticJax]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax
Sorry- double post- that threw me for a loop!

[edit on 14/4/09 by MajesticJax]

Even if they passed such nonsense somebody would make the headlines eventually similar to this

Man spooned to death in heated argument over mac and cheese!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I wasn't sorry for what I was saying. I was sorry that you are RenFesters.

Ok. I confess. I've been to a few. I am a big dork, just like Rennies!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is awesome, free swords for everyone!!!

Rennfesters are dorks, but we love ya anyhow. Especially the beer winches and their ample boobs.

How much fun would it be to see two guys sword fighting on the sidewalk in a case of road rage while you wait at a stoplight? I am all for gun ownership, everyone should have a gun. But I also think we need to encourage this type of behaviour for sure, especially in densly crowded areas where stray bullets are a problem.

new topics

top topics

join