It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial law has been implemented and no one cares

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Sorry, I'm not talking about American martial law, so no doubt the interest will be minimal.

I'm talking about Fiji:

Fiji's head of state, President Ratu Josefa Iloilo, has announced he has annulled the country's constitution during a televised address to the people of Fiji. He has also sacked all the country's judges and magistrates, including the three who ruled yesterday that his appointment of Commodore Frank Bainimarama's interim government after the 2006 coup was illegal. He says the sacking of all Fiji's judges will establish a new legal order. "I appoint myself as the head of the state of Fiji under a new legal order," Mr Iloilo said. Mr Iloilo says elections cannot be held until 2014.

www.abc.net.au...

Foreign Journalists have been expelled and some local journalists have been arrested:

FIJI authorities have expelled three foreign journalists and arrested a local reporter in a crackdown on reporting of the nation's political upheaval. ABC correspondent Sean Dorney is expected to arrive in Sydney at 11.40 AEST today after he was deported by government officials unhappy with his coverage of recent political developments in the troubled nation. Dorney spent the night under supervision by immigration officials in Nadi along with New Zealand journalist Sia Aston and cameraman Matt Smith, who are also understood to have been deported. Fijian television reporter Edwin Nand was arrested overnight for giving footage to a New Zealand television network. The media crackdown follows a new power grab by the country's military head, Frank Bainimarama, after a court ruled last Thursday that his regime, in power since a 2006 coup, was illegal under the country's 1997 constitution.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Not only are journalists being arrested but pretty much anyone who is speaking out against the president:

Fiji's military-led government is continuing to punish its critics, with the arrest of the president of Fiji's Law Society the latest upheaval in the country. In recent days Dorsami Naidu has criticised Fiji's interim government for sacking the country's judges, dumping the constitution and censoring local journalists. President Josefa Iloilo scrapped the constitution on Friday to bypass an Appeal Court ruling that Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama had been in power illegally since the 2006 coup. Mr Naidu was arrested by the military this afternoon. He believes he is being punished for speaking to the media.

www.abc.net.au...

So there you go a million peoples lives hang in the balance and the good people of ATS are more concerned about the pizza Obama is ordering.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I had no idea. This is really important news, thanks for bringing it up. A country (and a beautiful one at that) turns Dictatorship and nobody knows about it...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Bloody hell..

First Thailand goes straight to hell, now Fiji. I think the question to ask now is who is next? It is no longer a matter of if, but when as this is a snowball rolling downhill now.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Why Fiji of all places? I dream of going there.

I wonder what the population is??? I guess i'm just confused as to the reason.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Bulla "hello" in Fijian

Yeh Fiji is a pretty messed up place. They love their Rugby but they have a coup with each season.
I have holidayed there during a coup a couple of years ago but we didn't go home, we didn't notice it, the locals were so 'whatever' about it. Admitedly we were on a outer island and not in Suva or Nadi.

They are in the similar power struggle as Thailand, factions arguing over the last person to usurp power is part of an illegal government.

With Fiji the millitary tend to be involved in the coups.

Seriously I think they've had at least 5 I can remember in the last decade?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Yeah they've had a few situations over the years now.

I don't know how they handle the constant turmoil.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread!

I am not surprised, Chad. I read an article about Rwanda
just the other day.
How many of these genocides do we just stand by and watch.
While not directly related to this per say, its all related somehow.
I am refering to your claim ATS'ers are more concerned about where Obama ordered pizza. I agree we are a weird bunch.
The stuff gets thrown up on the boards with the expectation the reader
can choose to ignore it or not I would think.
I laugh at some threads and roll my eyes at others.
Especially if they cant spell or form actual sentences. Nope, not goin there.
If they don't care, I wont either.
Anyway, good thread and keep up the good work mate!

Here I'll just answer the question if I may:
If a country has oil,.... then we care big time!
S&F

I admit you had me going with the title!

[edit on 14-4-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Yeah they've had a few situations over the years now.

I don't know how they handle the constant turmoil.

I guess it shows that no matter who is in power or what they do, the will of the people continues. People go about their lives, no matter what new restrictive laws are in place and regardless of who is in office, in a nation like that the government is less able to inflict such restrictions on the people.

Certainly is interesting to see this all happening in several places in the world though. In the last six months we've seen challenges to government in several countries.

It's taken longer than I thought it would for the social turmoil due to the financial crisis to really manifest itself, but I think this is all part of it. Other nations are less inclined to interfere in the running of one because they have their own things to worry about.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A couple of news reports:

New Zealand report:

BBC Report:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Whats most amazing to me is that someone in the american media, somewhere, doesnt make a big deal about it. Just like when this went on in Pakistan, it is just swept under the rug.

Reeks of a test sight to me.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I guess it shows that no matter who is in power or what they do, the will of the people continues

Actually this isn't really the case in Fiji, its different to Thailand's people rallies. In the plethora of coups and leadership overthrows Fiji has had over the last 22ish years its not been "People Power" rather the military, or "Powerful People" wanting maintain indigineous power over Indian-Fijians....so not really a NWO test case either if it takes NWO PTB's that long to work it, they aint ever going to figure it out!

Some background, its about individual power to pass race legislation or military control. DEFN not people power!

Bainimarama is one himself. Why so many coups? Fiji has been plagued by coups since 1987, when the military first intervened in the island's political life. Past coups had much to do with the fear among indigenous Fijians of losing political control to Indo-Fijians, who dominate the economy. What is unusual about this current crisis is that the two protagonists are both high-profile indigenous Fijians.

This is quoted from a source that has good background fill for people n Fijian coups from 1987 to present day ones.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Chaddy thought I'd let you know Australia will not be sanctioning them. Interested to see what NZ does?

news.ninemsn.com.au...

[edit on 14-4-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
WoW.

I haven't heard anything on Fiji til now....Thanx 4 sharing ChadW.

Incredible how a story with such significance and important to the world community can be kept on the hush hush... ..Geeez.
Seems like "swift" action 2..... and these journalists seems 2 pose the biggest threat, simply because it will expose/reveal the truth.

It's important people across the world are exposed to the sprouting of Martial Law in such countries. Perhaps it will wake people up and see that eventually we'll have the same scenario "from sea 2 shiny sea" in the US>

Aside from test sights, (good point) Why Fiji???
I'm thinking the signinficance is more for military strategy......oceanic stations/bases for Pacific fleets????

Definetaly got my attention tho!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to Ben N

To do the Fijian people justice, it would be better if you read in more detail about their coup history and their indigenous versus indian community power struggles, and how their military commanders fit into ethnic dissolution strategies.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well I did post breaking news about this very topic about a week ago. Noone cares.

But, it was 82 degrees in Fiji today...I suppose it takes more than a bunch of people pretending to be men of power to affect the mood of a people in a southern Pacific paradise. Learn from that.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Very interesting, thanks for the links.

Will be interesting to see if things escalate there if the government will change their mind on the sanctions.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I just read somewhere, and now cant find it sorry...that the military has seized control of broadcasting, and made sure they cut off ABC (Australian Broadcasting) and New Zealands news inbound broadcasts also.
They certainly know how to muffle . There must be a military coup text book somewhere....

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Just a bit of an update with some links:

Rudd warns Fiji leader to do right by country

KEVIN Rudd has issued a stern warning to Fiji's determined military leader Frank Bainimarama to do the right thing by his troubled country.

"He knows what he must do,'' Australia's Prime Minister says of Mr Bainimarama, in power since a 2006 coup and refusing to heed regional warnings to return Fiji to democracy.

In an editorial today, Mr Rudd said it was "absurd'' to delay elections by five years, and that Mr Bainimarama had been telling insiders it could take another five more.

"This is the behaviour of a military junta,'' he wrote. Fiji became the first country to be suspended from the regional Pacific Islands Forum this month after repeated failures to go to the polls.

Reports on Fiji justice administration concerning: Smith

Foreign Minister Stephen Smith says he is concerned about reports from Fiji that eight soldiers and a police officer recently jailed for manslaughter have been released from prison.

The release follows a new Fijian policy that no police or soldiers will be criminally liable for any deaths they cause in the line of duty.

Mr Smith says Australia is concerned about the administration of justice in Fiji.

"I'm not in a position to confirm the details of those reports that I have seen, but we are very generally concerned about the administration of legal institutions and justice in Fiji," he said.

"The starting point of the abrogation of the constitution was Commodore Bainimarama refusing to accept the decision of the appeal court."

Mr Smith has been meeting with his Belgian counterpart, who has confirmed the European Union will continue the suspension of its sugar subsidies to Fiji.

What a mess!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
yep... noone cares... you better get use to that reality.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Thought I would give this thread a bump and an update.

Australia's hardline Fiji stance remains

Australia will maintain a hardline stance against the regime of Fiji's self-appointed leader Frank Bainimarama, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says.

"We're not about to simply allow a coup culture to spread," he told ABC Radio on Wednesday, adding that Australia wanted stability in the South Pacific region.

"That's why we'll maintain a hardline in relation to this regime."

Fiji on Tuesday ordered the top diplomats from Australia and New Zealand out of the country within 24 hours.

On the back of this the Australian government has told Fiji's High commissioner to leave the country.

Now the Fijian government has allegedly taken Professor Brij Lal into custody, who is an expert in Fijian politics, it's believed he was arrested because he gave several media interviews on the current situation.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

Things could get interesting in the coming days/weeks.

[edit on 4/11/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Well deserved of a Bump Mr Wickus!

I'm amazed more people didn't get involved in this thread... but then again... maybe I'm not. No star spangled banners involved!

The strained relations between Aus, NZ and Fiji may appear to be a storm in a teacup right now but unless the people of Fiji can overthrow this idiot Bainimarama, it may eventually require some intervention... time with tell I guess!

Though I understand Fiji's suspension from the Commonwealth, all it's really achieved is bruising Frank Bainimarama's ego.

IRM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join