It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sacramento moving homeless from tent city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Sacramento moving homeless from tent city

www.msnbc.msn.com

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento officials on Monday began the process of dismantling an encampment of homeless people that had put California's capital in the international spotlight.

Police officers handed notices to about 150 people who live in the so-called tent city about one mile northeast of the state Capitol, giving a Wednesday deadline to clear the site.

The city was offering spaces at a shelter at the state fairgrounds operated by Volunteers of America or through longer-term housing unit, but many don't want to leave or go to the shelter, where they will have to abide by certain rules. Some have moved their tents to another location.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Didn't see this posted.

I can help but feel sorry for these people, some of them have lost jobs, gone through foreclosures and now they are being evicted from tent cities.

If you click the article link there is a photo of a law officer handing tent city residents eviction papers.

These are horrible times for far too many people.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

where they will have to abide by certain rules.

Yep. No rights of privacy, no second amendment, no fourth amendment.

And you have to be there at 3PM and they force you out of your bed at 5AM...anyway that's what i heard from people who went there to see what was going on... it's like a prison. You are being screwed by the banks, you go to jail and you do not collect 200$.

It's finally happening... those people said back in march that they would not go in this camp and would only leave for somewhere else, they will not become government slaves. That's what some are doing...

Of course they'll say that it's for their own good... yeah like putting drug users in jail instead of treating them?
Do you remember the last time the government did a GOOD thing for you and didn't try to screw you? No? Me neither.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I read about this. Just leave them alone. They've already suffered enough, they're not bothering anyone. They don't even have the rights to live in a shantytown?

Yeah put em in the shelters where they can be robbed and then they'll just go into the streets and beg and they won't let them panhandle so they'll steal and then they'll PUT EM IN JAIL!

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I can tell you from personal experience that you DO NOT want to go to a shelter unless you are in serious danger of death from exposure.

Furthermore, those rules do include strict curfews, which make it virtually impossible to get a job and get back on your feet.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakelford
I can tell you from personal experience that you DO NOT want to go to a shelter unless you are in serious danger of death from exposure.

Furthermore, those rules do include strict curfews, which make it virtually impossible to get a job and get back on your feet.

It's downright oppression.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
I read about this. Just leave them alone. They've already suffered enough, they're not bothering anyone. They don't even have the rights to live in a shantytown?

The article stated that this tent city became the focus of the national and international news media. If so then having this so near the capital of the great state of California has got to be a major embarrassment for the state government.

Out of sight out of mind?

Either they can go to the shelters, or elsewhere, as long as it is out of sight and away from the cameras.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
sickening to me how these people are being treated.
And recieving eviction notices from the police to there tents.?

I pray for all these people.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

fo sho.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I haven't heard much about it recently but wasn't there a recent story about California being bankrupt? If they can't afford the basic services and want to issue IOU's for state tax refunds then how in blazes can they run homeless shelters, much less want to force people into them? And how long before we see similiar situations start to transpire in other places as this depression deepens and more folks are on the street?
They have no rights to force these folks out. Oh wait it is us who have no rights anymore.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Anyone moving these people should be drug out into the streets and shot.
These people have it bad enough and don't need local cops and politicians
giving them sh!t. This is just another example of pathetic politics at work.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Beach Bum]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
When the government say it's for your own good, don't believe them.

The nazi concentration camps started with the jews being attacked at their houses and their business. Then they were transfered ``for their own protection`` to camps... that's how it started. At first they didn't killed them, they just kept them there, then after a while they made them work, then they started killing them.

Those camps were for jews, gays, gypsies and anyone opposing the regime. Of course it was for their own protection from the people...

top topics

join