It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Military.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The United States Military is one of the most advanced and powerful fighting forces on the planet. This however does not mean that we the United States should be sticking our nose into every location on the planet when it suits our political agenda.

America’s reputation and that of its military has suffered in recent years due to the actions of the political elite pursuing their own agenda, which may or may not have been in the best interest of America as a whole. I feel that we should maintain and modernize our fighting forces, so if and when there is a threat to our homeland it can be dealt with swiftly and assuredly. There are however some programs that are over budget and wasteful to the point of being a detriment to the fighting ability of our forces. For example the latest American fighter the F-22 Rapture which is our latest generation fighter. The Raptor is the Air Force’s new super jet – super stealthy, supersonic and super expensive.

It is virtually invisible to radar, masked from infrared sensors, faster than a speeding bullet and better than anything else flying these days. Some think it will be better than anything flying for the next two decades, at least.
The Raptor is more expensive than any other jet, commercial or military, but one. The B-2 bomber costs about $2.2 billion each.

So far, the Air Force has 62 Raptors. Current plans call for 183. Its cost is about $63.2 billion, counting research and development, aircraft and construction of hangers and other equipment. Can we afford it? I say we should continue to fund the fighters but we will be forced to only purchasing a fragment of what was originally considered.

In these times of political uncertainty around the world and with the global financial crises looming, history has shown us time and again of the potential dangers of these types of uncertainties may cause. Now is not the time in my opinion to reduce our fighting effectiveness. Some feel that the US does not need to maintain such a powerful fighting force nor do we need to maintain such a large nuclear stockpile. On the surface this may seem correct however if we are to consider our potential future enemies abroad this would be a foolish pursuit.

Consider the Peoples Republic of China; on a global scale they are second only to the United States in their need for oil. As the world economies grow as will China's their need for oil will continue to increase. This puts them and the US on a possible collision course over resources. Although there are no hostilities at the moment these are very real possibilities of future conflicts in a resources grab, not to mention the possible future terrorist activity against the US or her allies.

The US has established itself as a global leader in foreign affairs and may no longer be able to maintain such a global present do to the present economic situation this therefore creates a global vacuum which may be seized upon by other world powers trying to expand their influence globally and may intern push the US from its place of dominance.

The united states may no longer be able to sustain its preeminent position as the world’s only superpower this however doesn’t mean that it should not be a major global player and maintain effective fighting forces that are essential to national security.

Thanks for letting me rant.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The only enemies the USA has now, are the ones they created themselves
by unnecessary, cruel and especially illegal, military actions. If you people
would just stop attacking countries using bogus reasons, you would not be
in this situation where you are hated by the entire world.

Consider some natural catastrophe will happen in North America, do you
think you will receive any foreign help? I don't think so.. everyone will see
to their own affairs and think that you deserve it. You have created so much
hatred through your actions, that your chance of survival as a nation, is
becoming smaller and smaller.

Start promoting a policy of benevolence and peace, before it is too late.

You don't need an army,
you need a heart.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I agree, and also...

I see the U.S. as a prize fighter who has gained a little weight over the past decade or so, and it's not useful weight. He's been the champ for so long he's going George Foreman on us, and needs to start using that fat reducing grill.

I think we all saw China's potential at the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympic Games.

I will stop there, as what I would say would just be another version of what the OP has already said.

EDIT: Wehali: I think it's gotten into a debate kind of like you see on ATS here sometimes. Neither side will back down, why? I couldn't say as I am only one person. Maybe now that we have Obama things will be different. I will say, I haven't see another 9/11 lately(real or not). Dominate/submissive, agressor/defender, lots of topics here.

It's all about perspective.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by dragonking76]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I love the pathetic rants of America haters.

"We should not stick our nose in every corner of the world."

Fine.

We should let a North Korea run by a lunatic and controlled by a million man Army develop a nuke that can reach American soil. or simply land in South Korea or Tailand by accident.

America should let a madman who promises to erase Israel in a "fountain of fire" and actually widen the main thoroughfare in Tehran for the coming "12th Imam" have nukes and build a send IED's to kill Americans in Iraq.

We should let illiterate Somali pirates threaten the flow of oil throught the Red Sea.

We should have let Nazi Germany over run Europe.

We should have let Japan invade Australia.

You are clueless...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

Well I guess as usual some people don't get past the first sentence?
Thanks for posting your opinion.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wehali

The only enemies the USA has now, are the ones they created themselves
by unnecessary, cruel and especially illegal, military actions.

I have to disagree with you. Our enemies did not become enemies during this war. They rose to become our enemies over the last two to three decades. And I am sure that some of it had to do with our foreign policy but there also has to be blame on the fact that some people don't like us just because who we are. The current wars only embolden our enemies more.

I am glad the US made the decision to stick it out in Iraq, illegal war or not. At least we didn't make the mistake of the first Gulf war, Afghanistan, and Somalia where we used them to reach our goals and abandoned them when they needed us the most.

IMO, being number 1 will bring trouble whether you invite it or not.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
We have already increased our military expenditure by nearly $1 trillion over the last 8years. We already spend nearly half of that of the worlds total military expenditure. We spend 3 times the amount of Russia, China and the UK combined. This year the president will only be increasing expenditure by $15 billion, not decreasing it.

What exactly is your issue with that Slayer? Raptors may be "cool" to have but it certainly doesnt shout fiscal responsibility let alone usefulness.

This is a hell of alot comin from your local "fiscally conservative" members on this forum.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Actually we have no idea of Chinas expenditure - it is a rough guestimate provided by them.....further their production costs are a fraction of the US - hence they are probably on par. Further their army is dwarfs the US in sheer size (since the entire country IS the army).

Just a point of order.

As far as the "Rapture" is concerned not exactly where war ships are going to based in order to strike at China - certainly no where near enough to be using these craft. Chinas power lies in subs - lots of them.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

Fine.

We should let a North Korea run by a lunatic and controlled by a million man Army develop a nuke that can reach American soil. or simply land in South Korea or Tailand by accident.

America should let a madman who promises to erase Israel in a "fountain of fire" and actually widen the main thoroughfare in Tehran for the coming "12th Imam" have nukes and build a send IED's to kill Americans in Iraq.

We should let illiterate Somali pirates threaten the flow of oil throught the Red Sea.

You are clueless...

"America haters" is such an nonsensical term. Where does that come from? I happen to agree with Wehani in that peaceful coexistence is the way to go. This is the long term destination but whether it happens with a long wind down of hostilities or after a crushing war is up to the people of the world today. The 19th and 20th centuries realized the immediate connection with the rest of the world through telegraph, telephone, railroads, airplanes and finally the internet. It is a new ball game and new tactics are needed.

Death and destruction are wasteful and contrary to a path of progress. True greatness has yet to be seen. Leaving caveman, destination Star Trek.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Peaceful coexistance only works when BOTH SIDE PARTICIPATE.

Otherwise it is called SURRENDER!

Oh MY GOD.

Please NEVER run for ANY OFFICE.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

No offence mate, but if the US had kept it's nose out of these other countries in the past, there may have been no problems there to begin with.

Korea could have sorted itself out.
Iran = look up operation Ajax

The war, What can be said about that, America did not win the war single handedly, it was a joint effort of the allies.

Somali pirates, starving people getting their wealth stolen and somehow are able to get hold of sophisticated weapons to capture oil tankers? coincidence?

In fact, if you have a close look at a lot of conflicts over the last 50 years, the US has somehow had a hand in it.

Funding Suddam?
training the taliban?
training georgian troops?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I really hate to go the isolationist route but lately the idea of pulling everyone back inside our country and putting them on the borders and cutting off all the ridiculous aid we are sending out is growing on me.

The U.S. has it's OWN problems let's leave the rest of the world to it's own problems and genocides and protect our own citizens and spend our aid money here on our starving jobless people.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I've said this for many years. Not every fight is going to be settled by the US military, no matter how distasteful we find the slaughter. The US should only inject itself in matters directly pertaining to national security.

Some fights should continue. Eventually, one side will get tired of the killing and will be unable or unwilling to kill further, or one side will become so depleted that it is unwilling to die any further.

It will eventually end.

The US military should become what a military is supposed to be - a war machine. Not peacekeepers, not nation builders, not policemen. The US military should be a lean, mean, focused war machine, only to be brought out when something absolutely, positively, needs to be crushed overnight.

If and when the US military is required, all weapons should be brought to bear with ruthless destruction, and thus any conflicts will be eliminated in days and weeks, not decades.

After all, in war, or in conflict, the objective is victory, not persistence. To be most merciful and end the suffering, one must be most ruthless and destructive.

Once word gets around that the US doesn't dick around, many potential conflicts will be avoided.

A man with a solid reputation for awakening early, on occasion, may sleep in with no one the wiser.

But one has to establish that reputation until it's a qualified known.

Much better to have a force of 500 men who are highly dedicated, courageous, combat skilled, cross-trained, and armed to the teeth than 20,000 ordinary soldiers.

Thus, one can do much more with much less.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Why all the sudden rants against Americans?
Yes they have done wrong but people of the world must not judge the American people because of what they see in the media!

I am British and have never been to the US but have worked with US Marines and have meet many Americans in my lifetime and 90% of them are hard working peace loving people so why do people hate Americans?

Its all down to the media and the corupt goverment that they have ..............Brits are no angels.......we tried ruling the world once and look where that got us!

Anyways i will shut up now and let you lot get on with it!

God bless America

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

No offence mate, but if the US had kept it's nose out of these other countries in the past, there may have been no problems there to begin with.

Korea could have sorted itself out.
Iran = look up operation Ajax

The war, What can be said about that, America did not win the war single handedly, it was a joint effort of the allies.

Somali pirates, starving people getting their wealth stolen and somehow are able to get hold of sophisticated weapons to capture oil tankers? coincidence?

In fact, if you have a close look at a lot of conflicts over the last 50 years, the US has somehow had a hand in it.

Funding Suddam?
training the taliban?
training georgian troops?

No offense MATE...

but blame America first rants are tired and passe.

Georgia is a free and Democratic nation that asked for help.

I guess the NAZI's were the fault of the U.S. And Imperial Japan. And Pol Pot, and Stalin, and Idi Amin, and Mao, and Kim Jong-Il, and Quaddafi, and Khmer Rouge...

Tell you what. You stay in your little nation, safe, warm and full of food knowing that American military is the ONLY THING standing between you and the boogey man.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
First off

I wanted to thank all of those who have replied. I needed to get a feeling of how others felt. I wasn't trying to post an anti-American rant nor was I trying to be a typical chest pounder either.

I was expressing my frustration with our Governments actions. With the present global economic & political crises now is not the time to be interfering in the internal issues of other countries around the world.

If history has taught us anything it is that the most dangerous periods are not while the world is in prosperity but during turmoil such as we find ourselves now.

Isolationism & Militarism are not the solution. I feel and this is just an opinion that the world has seemed to have set a very dangerous precedent in thinking that every new problem is an a CIA/American plot to create false flag actions in which the US can use to further expand it's influence and control.

Has this happened in the past? Yes I'm sure of it.

Does Everything have the CIA/American fingerprints on it? No

Here in lies the danger of which I would like to address. Some feel that the US military should only be used as a last resort "In case of an emergency" Break glass type of force. This I Agree with and is my stance.

Others feel however that the world is so dangerous that we should be involved with every global issue that comes down the pike. Maybe, if our presents is either required or wanted. If Not we should stay the hell out.

One of the above posters mentioned Hitler and others of his ilk. These are the real dangers. These types of individuals are created out of chaos and should be guarded against. "Peace in our time" Yadda yadda blah blah blah.
Someone mentioned Georgia. Well if we look at the history of that region those issues have been going on for centuries.

Who will be the worlds next global boogey man? We don't know.
Is the threat of major global upheaval done for? We don't know.
Will the world ever see major conflicts again? We don't know.

Does History repeat itself? YES.
Has History repeated itself? YES

Have we learned from History?
Have we learned from our mistakes?

For all of those who believe that the days of major global conflict are over simply because we have the "BOMB" Think again, small regional conflicts develop into large regional issues then spill over into global issues very easily.

The danger will be when there is a real bad guy or country, people will automatically assume that it is yet again another CIA/American plot. When in fact it's what history has been warning us about.

I'll continue after I receive some more feedback, please state your opinions. For me this is a fact finding thread. I respectfully need and want your opinions both pro and con
thanks

Slay

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

Fine.

You are clueless...

Although your points seem to be valid to you I think you are missing the point. First off you start out by providing the standard MSM/government label to each country.

"Madman" "Illiterate" "Lunatic".....

Are you sure that these people are indeed this way? Why? Because you were TOLD so?

N. Korea wants to power their homes. Nuclear power is one of the best ways to do this. Yet it must be only us few nations like the U.S. that should be allowed to provide a better standard of living for their people.

They launch a rocket that they say is a satellite but our government/MSM say was a test rocket for 'dun dun dunnnnn, lauching a nuclear warhead'. You see? I will believe what these people tell me about these other 'evil' nations when they stop lying to my children and I.

As for Nazi Germany, if you would take the time to read history you would know that is EXACTLY what we were planning on doing. Well, at least that is what our 'leaders' told us we were planning on doing. We weren't going to get involved.

There are more holes in your statements but I just wanted to address some of the points I feel, in my personal opinion, that you seem to have missed.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

The danger will be when there is a real bad guy or country, people will automatically assume that it is yet again another CIA/American plot. When in fact it's what history has been warning us about.

This is the danger of what has transpired over the past decade. Of course many people will believe that our government is lying to us to try and start another war simply because THEY HAVE. Especially the last administration. Does it mean that it's a false flag or a CIA plot? Nope. Not saying that. Regardless of my feelings towards that particular organization.

The sad truth of the matter now is that until history is rewritten once again over the next generation and they are taught a different truth over what really happened over the past decade, we will NOT trust our government. (Us Americans that is). They have lied to us. They have been caught doing so. They have done things to further political and fiscal agendas instead of doing what is BEST for this nation.

They have truly destroyed our reputation and character among this globe. The really messed up thing is that I didn't have a hand in it at all. Don't pull that BS about voting either (not directed at you Slayer, just to the one person that will say that it was up to me to vote these people in). The money and power decided what THEIR interests were and made their moves accordingly. Screw the actual people of this country. No matter what we voice they choose to do what they want (e.g. the bailout that the bulk of this country was against).

Will another Hitler come along? Probably. But the problem now is that I won't trust our media or our government to tell us the truth when he/she does come about. I will question their statements about the 'lunatic' in N. Korea or the 'crazy' man in Iran because they have their own agenda and will lie to us to achieve it. This is history and it is truth and it is repeating itself.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

Will another Hitler come along? Probably. But the problem now is that I won't trust our media or our government to tell us the truth when he/she does come about. I will question their statements about the 'lunatic' in N. Korea or the 'crazy' man in Iran because they have their own agenda and will lie to us to achieve it. This is history and it is truth and it is repeating itself.

I totally agree that when and if the next real bad guy/country comes along we will by that time have absolutely no faith in what our government/media is spewing that this could be our undoing.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrallel
Why all the sudden rants against Americans?
Yes they have done wrong but people of the world must not judge the American people because of what they see in the media!

I am British and have never been to the US but have worked with US Marines and have meet many Americans in my lifetime and 90% of them are hard working peace loving people so why do people hate Americans?

Its all down to the media and the corupt goverment that they have ..............Brits are no angels.......we tried ruling the world once and look where that got us!

Anyways i will shut up now and let you lot get on with it!

God bless America

Thank you. You see, I bet some may think I am ranting against America and ALL of our actions. I am not. I love this country with all of my being. The majority of the people in this nation are actually upstanding individuals. We are just like any other people you can find in most other countries. We like to live our lives and keep to friends and family.

However, my biggest complaint is that our leaders have seemed to take it upon themselves to feed a monster that we were warned against many times and once by a leaving president. The military industrial complex. A.K.A. big banking and big money.

There was a post just after this one that made a pretty good point about the Somali pirates and the weaponry they are obtaining even though they are financially depressed and starving. How did they get those weapons?

If anyone has seen the movie 'The International' then you will have a wonderful idea of how this happens. Big money, a.k.a. MIC, come in and provide weapons and resources to ALL sides of a conflict and have those nations mortgage off their natural resources in return.

This is what I fear this nation has fallen into the grasps of. Well, not fallen into, since Eisenhower had the guts to tell us when he left we have been in its grasp for decades.

Yes, God bless America and its people. But I fear for this nation more than I believe many could have ever feared for it before. Not because of outside enemy's but because of the ones from within that are doing a wonderful job in destroying much of what this nation was built on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join