It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird flu found on western Kentucky poultry farm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Bird flu found on western Kentucky poultry farm

www.businessweek.com

Stout quarantined the farm, which produces hatching eggs for Perdue Farms Inc. He said some 20,000 chickens have been euthanized.

"It does occur naturally in wild birds and it can spread to domestic birds, which is why we have the occurrence in Kentucky," said Cindy Ragin, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. "This is something that is not uncommon."

Stout declined to identify the farm, but he said it is near Brownsville in Edmondson County.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wbko.com
www.worldpoultry.net

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

"There is no evidence that any infected poultry are in the human food supply as a result of this infection. We will do what is necessary to minimize the disruption to overseas trade."

Oddly enough Russia has banned the importation of chicken from the United States, despite the fact this should pose no risk to human consumption. Does Russia know something we don't?

Well, the thing here is, this could be random or it could not be.
I refer everyone interested in the Avian Influenza pandemic and the possibility of it affecting humans to watch this video:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It does open up some very interesting possibilities that there's more to these seemingly "random" outbreaks of Bird Flu than meets the eye, and it coincides with large, pharmaceutical interests in testing a possible Avian Flu vaccine on test samples of animals (and possibly humans) unwittingly, via the Department of Homeland Security's cooperation.

Obviously before you can create a vaccine for any virus, but most interestingly for the potentially, human-communicable form of H5N1, the virus must already exist and samples of it must be collected.
Hence, if this virus does indeed exist, why haven't we heard about it or any pandemics and who knows of it's existence?

Interesting questions, with even more interesting conclusions I'm sure.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There might be a lot of truth to that other threads claim after all. Will it show up in more places all of a sudden too in the near future?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I know a poultry pathologist, and I asked him back when this was a big issue what his view on it was.

He basically said that as long as the people cook their chicken thoroughly, there should be no problems, as it is passed from chicken to human usually through eating raw or blood from a chicken. This is also how salmonella poisoning can occur(though it is more uncommon than you'd think). After it goes to human, then there is the danger of other pathways of infection (human to human).

In the east, avian blood is consumed, raw sometimes. He says that bird flu is actually quite common. It's the jump from bird to man that is rare, and dangerous.

EDIT: actually chicken, duck, turkey, etc.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by dragonking76]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
So this is a completely pointless post, but that is extremely unsettling for me. I live in Western Kentucky. I think I'm just paranoid though, with all the talk about the government spreading the bird flu lately.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonking76
I know a poultry pathologist, and I asked him back when this was a big issue what his view on it was.

He basically said that as long as the people cook their chicken thoroughly, there should be no problems, as it is passed from chicken to human usually through eating raw or blood from a chicken. This is also how salmonella poisoning can occur(though it is more uncommon than you'd think). After it goes to human, then there is the danger of other pathways of infection (human to human).

In the east, avian blood is consumed, raw sometimes. He says that bird flu is actually quite common. It's the jump from bird to man that is rare, and dangerous.

EDIT: actually chicken, duck, turkey, etc.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by dragonking76]

Keep in mind this the trus aspect of the beginning stages of the bird flu.. the Virus itself at the common stage is rather weak and not worth threatening about. Even if at this stage contacted with a human, there is still no real consideration that it would kill the person... The issue is this virus does not stay in a stasis state and does become a real concern at later stages, upto down right being deadly.

Most important atm on this find is, what stage of the bird flu virus is this ?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

State Veterinarian Robert Stout said an outbreak of bird flu on a western Kentucky chicken farm did not spread to nearby backyard poultry flocks.

Stout said animal health workers tested flocks within a two-mile radius of the Brownsville chicken farm for signs of the "non-pathogenic or low-pathogenic" strain of avian in fluenza.

Source

From my local news source. Looks like it didn't spread and it was in non-dangerous stages. That's a relief for now.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The thing is, I have chicken coops and everyday I see wild birds hanging around and often wonder if they could infect my flock.

All it would take is for one of mine to eat the droppings of one of the wild birds and the infection can start.

The report talks about culling the flock, but what about sanitizing the facility afterwards? That is where the transmission can happen.

What enrages me is the secrecy around the politics of Naming the Facility!!!

What Farm? Where is it located? We deserve to know these answers!!!

[edit on 13-4-2009 by antar]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Good question. That news channel is a little lacking, but that's the only thing I could really find on it on the local news sites. They may do things a little backwards here in Kentucky, but I would hope with something as potentially serious as bird flu they'd do some serious cleanup work afterwards.

Edit:

Also, the article I posted said it was in Brownsville, but not exactly which farm it was. And they're testing a 6-mile radius of backyard flocks in the area. So it seems they are making some efforts.

edit for spelling

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
OK, Quick Question here.....

The 1st article is dated 4-7 and the last article source is dated 4-9.

This is the first post about it? People are getting slow to the draw, I can't believe that it took almost a week to hear about this!

Especially since it is only the 2nd time this has happened in the US. Wow.... This actually took me by surprise since usually everyone posts even "junk news" with little or no importance but this went by for days without anyone even noticing.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

That's what I thought. I live in WKY and this is the first I heard about it. After looking, there was next to no media coverage of it...and the article I posted said that it was discovered after a drop in egg production last month! Who knows how old this really is...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonking76

It's not the chicken I prepare that I'm afraid of, it's the chicken that other people prepare for me. It only takes one snot nosed kid at Mcdonalds to miss fry one chicken nugget and there you go, here comes a bird flu pandemic.

We all knew this was going to happen, last month it was BC, this month it's down in the southern states, we will see more and more birds infected as the summer comes along and they are migrating back to their natural habitats.

We can only hope that it doesn't jump the barrier and become airborn, even though I do believe they would find a cure, they might just let it run wild for a little bit and downsize the populace by a couple of hundred million.

I'm sure the PTB would love that.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Especially since it is only the 2nd time this has happened in the US. Wow...

Indeed. Not a peep from the MSM.

Funny that. They seem to have well and truly zipped their mouths about the spread and evolution of Avian Bird Flu.

Hmmmm.....

new topics

top topics

join