It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Books You Would Take With You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I am sure many on this forum wouldn't need to take books with them as they are knowledgeable. However imagine for a second that some people do not have your experience. Which 5 books would you tell them to take with them? These books may vary according to the country you're in of course.

My top five are.

1. Food For Free

2. The SAS Survival Handbook

3. How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-sufficiency

4. Trapping: A Practical Guide

5. Grow Your Own Drugs: Easy Recipes for Natural Remedies - (ATS mods, this isn't a book about illegal substances)

EDIT

I was running out of options and that's where my original No.5 came from but i'm now changing that to "tracks" as another ATS'er suggested
Pretty useful to know all the animal tracks.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
1. Earths Forbidden secrets - Mx Ignar

2. 1985 - George Orwell

3. Brave New World

4. The Great White Shark Hunt - hunter s. Thompson

5. Hitchickers Guide To The Galaxy

I gave up with typing the autors names half way through, but these are possible one of the best collection of books ive read.

P.S. ATS readers looking for research would love the top 3.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Trolloks]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
1- The zombie survival guide
2- Gardening for dummies
3- The poor mans james bond
4- The art of war
5- The bible

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Bible

Boy scout handbook

Edible north america plants

The Last River Rat , an upper midwestern classic

any Farside volume

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Are you British? The reason I ask is several people have said they use the SAS survival manual, but haven't been able to explain any key advantages over FM 21-76.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by RustyShakelford]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
My top five are.
1. Food For Free
2. The SAS Survival Handbook
3. How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-sufficiency
4. Trapping: A Practical Guide
5. Grow Your Own Drugs: Easy Recipes for Natural Remedies - (ATS mods, this isn't a book about illegal substances)

Mine:
1.Edible Plants of (insert your geographical region here). I assume that Food for Free is similar.
2. Boy Scout handbook.
3. SAS Survival Handbook (I have the U.S. one and it seems more biodegradable than the SAS one).
4. Tao Te Ching
5. Tracks (not sure on the name, it's a book with pictures of all the tracks of different animals).

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I have had to leave things behind in the past, amongst them things were shed loads of books ;(

I only posses a small number of cookery books at the moment - none of them modern
If i could take one of them, it would be 'War-Time Cookery' by Mrs Arthur Webb. It was a cook book for the war which not only gives you recipes for with basic ingredients but also tells you how to economise. I have the revised addition - they're rations were cut even more and some of the igredients from the previous addition was no longer available so a revised addition was written.

I am just waiting for someone i lent it to a month ago to return it to me, and then i was thinking of re-typing the book out in a thread on here, so you all can read it, as it is no longer available (out of print)

[edit on 21-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980

I am just waiting for someone i lent it to a month ago to return it to me, and then i was thinking of re-typing the book out in a thread on here, so you all can read it, as it is no longer available (out of print)

I would love to hear some of those recipes and i'm sure many others would as well, please do that, thanks.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

No problem, i was going to do it a while back, and checked with a Mod if i could legally do so, and as long i reference my quotes correctly it should be fine. As i said, i lent the book to a realative who was also interested and so that was why i haven't done so as yet. Will do soon though - promise

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Backyard Homestead - smaller and lighter than any of my other self-sufficiency collections without sacrificing any info

The Foragers Harvest

Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living by the McPhersons

That's it.

Anybody know of text like these in a waterproof, spiral-bound format?

[edit on 21-4-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Anybody know of text like these in a waterproof, spiral-bound format?

I don't think they exist, however making them yourself shouldn't be to hard with a cheap laminating machine. As i stated from the outset, this was more about the books you would recommend to someone who knows nothing about survival rather than people who know what they're doing taking books with them.

Even knowing all i do i would still take a field guide on plants with me though, it's sometimes hard to remember them all

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
1. SAS survival hand book by Lofty--all you really need.
2. The Art of War-nice tactics if it comes to that.
3. The 48 Laws of power
4. The book of 5 Rings
5. 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership

6. Good World Atlas
7. Good atlas of home state
8. Good Humanities book--will probably include "the prince" "Chaucer" "Dante" Maybe "the Odyssee" etc. nice rounded book
9. US Army Handbook
10. Home medical book

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Great thread! I give you a star!
Luckily, I have committed much alternative medicine as well as gardening to memory but I would still want the "bibles" on of each of those. So I would have to say the following topical (subject matter) books would be recommended by me in a true rebuilding scenario:

1) plants and their thearaputic properties, including recipes, etc
2) intermediate gardening (focused on herbs and therapeutic plants)
3) basic electricity
4) medical book for diagnostics
5) building (shelter) manual ie. huts for dummies, or something of that nature

top topics

join