It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed America: Behind a broadening run on guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Armed America: Behind a broadening run on guns

www.csmonitor.com

What do an elderly Oklahoma homeowner, a Virginia Citizen Militia member, and a Texas airline pilot all have in common these days?

They're all part of America's massive gun-and-ammunition buying spree – a national arming-up effort that began before last year's election of President Obama and continues unabated. Across the United States, it has led to shortages of assault-style weapons, rising prices, and a broadening of gun culture to increasingly include older Americans, women and – gasp –
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Biased source but the nonetheless a verifiable trend.

There's 2 things fuelling this:

1. Traditionally right-wing states everywhere are seeing surges in gun ownership because of a perceived potential by Obama to enforce severe gun restrictions in the future.

2. Dire economic conditions. Eras of economic gloom and uncertainty traditionally coincide with high crime rates (desperate times call for desperate measures after all), hence many people seem to capitalising on the idea that less economically sound times, mean less safer times, and a need to pro-actively protect themselves.

It's certainly not just middle-aged Republicans buying guns either: (although they still rank as No. 1 in gun ownership stats)

"Now that more women are owning guns, more liberals are owning guns, and just average everyday people who want to keep themselves and their family safe. It's turning into an incredibly strong political phenomenon."

That's one small step for gun owners, one giant leap in stopping the NWO/Shadow Gov./Special Interest Groups in further eroding the rights of citizens.

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

That's one small step for gun owners, one giant leap in stopping the NWO/Shadow Gov./Special Interest Groups in further eroding the rights of citizens.

Interesting quote and I wish it would hold up, but I am kinda skeptical of that. I just feel that if the government did decide to go after guns, many would turn them in voluntarily. I also have this feeling that government would use blackmail with the ones who refuse to turn them in. Something like withholding government assistance until the government gets its way.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I just feel that if the government did decide to go after guns, many would turn them in voluntarily.

There's two sides to that coin. Illegal gun ownership and unregistered weaponry flooding the black market and the very literally, "die-hard" gun owners in the United State from whom removing their treasured possessions would problematic, to say the least.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Based on the current laws, couldn't a private citizen simply sell to another "private citizen" without paperwork... leaving the trail of ownership cold?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips
Based on the current laws, couldn't a private citizen simply sell to another "private citizen" without paperwork... leaving the trail of ownership cold?

In most states the private transfer of a long gun can be done without any paper trail but thanks to a couple of choice cases currently floating around the courts more and more people are afraid to risk it given that the the ruling that the seller could be held responsible for the actions of the buyer has yet to be decided.

Unless I have no other choice all of my purchases have been through private transfers. It's amazing what some of these old-timers (folks who were around before 'gun-paranoia' legislation was introduced) have lying around and how little they typically ask for them. Make some senior citizen friends. Often their own children are too 'urban' or yuppied out to care so the senior is looking to sell since he doesnt have anyone to leave his collection to. Not anyone that would respect it anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

This is basically how it rolls in the gun show arena in Ohio.

ATF states non-licensed residents of Ohio may acquire from and dispose of personal firearms to non-licensed residents of Ohio. Non-licensed residents of Ohio cannot acquire from or dispose of firearms to non-licensed residents of any other state. If you are not sure of how many guns you may buy or sell, contact your local ATF office.

Non licensed refers to residents without a dealer license. Resident to resident private sales are legal.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
So basically, even though there are records of background checks for my purchases, there is no way to prove if I still own those firearms?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

even though there are records of background checks for my purchases, there is no way to prove if I still own those firearms?

Not if you privately sold them for cash and they're used in a crime and the serial no. happens to trace back you. The onus falls upon you to prove you transferred ownership of them to someone else.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I am so looking forward to the months and years ahead.
The irony of what you have posted is arguably lost on many here.

Some will ignore it, some will see divergences, and some will simply fail to see the inherent political agenda behind such and miss connecting the dots.
The news media is doing such an outstanding job in helpng institute such mind-sets and pogroms.

Accordingly, lets add a connecting dot to this thread:

What are the telltales of "Right Wing Terrorists?"

Opposition to abortion.
Opposition to illegal immigration.
Learning to fight in the military
Opposition to an African American President
Having your house foreclosed
Inability to get credit
Being critical of outsourcing jobs
Perceiving threats to the US by foreign powers
Opposition to bigger social programs
Criticism of government infringement of civil rights

"The Homeland Security 'Domestic Terrorism' Report"

Obama Administration Tells Local Police Pro-Life Advocates May Engage in Violence, Extremism

Is'nt Chavez targeting political oppenents in Venezuela? Hmm, sorry, I digress. As such, is this the beginning of Team Obama's attempt to 'target' his political opposition via Homeland Security? Not for me to decide. As mentioned, I will sit back and eagerly look forward to the coming months and years ahead.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

even though there are records of background checks for my purchases, there is no way to prove if I still own those firearms?

Not if you privately sold them for cash and they're used in a crime and the serial no. happens to trace back you. The onus falls upon you to prove you transferred ownership of them to someone else.

I think my point is to present a scenario where, if anyone came looking for guns in private hands, can claim they have been sold.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Fair enough, I'm not mind reader here.

But still without a paper trail or at least some kind of attested verbal contract, claims and hearsay won't hold up in a court of law.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Is'nt Chavez targeting political oppenents in Venezuela? Hmm, sorry, I digress. As such, is this the beginning of Team Obama's attempt to 'target' his political opposition via Homeland Security? Not for me to decide. As mentioned, I will sit back and eagerly look forward to the coming months and years ahead.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Seekerof]

This comparison to Chavez just about sums up what our new President and his massive assortment of Czars have in store for us. I find the appointment of so many Czars a little troubling. IMO it seems like just another extension of the Executive Branch. I think these czars will have a little too much autonomy. Great plan Obama. Appoint the Czars to take the heat and responsibility off of yourself.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Well the United States Citizens are just saying to the Federal Gum-mint, " Fool me once ,shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Every time I'm in Wal-Mart I stop by the ammo case to look and most common ammo is sold out.

I suggest that people buy repair parts for their firearms, mags, repair manuals, stuff like that.

Roper

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Since I have started a family I no longer keep guns in the house. I sold them all to some guy named Bubba a few years back. I don,t know what he did with them. Honest!

respectfully

reluctantpawn

new topics

top topics

join