It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon blows up pigs in bombproof armor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Pentagon blows up pigs in bombproof armor

www.presstv.ir

The US military blows up live pigs and rats dressed in bombproof body armor to measure the protection the suit would provide for the troops.

Most of the armor-clad animals died when put in semi-military vehicles which were blown up by the military researchers, the USA Today reported on Monday. The move is in clear violation of Animal rights and Animal Law.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), however, defended the practice saying "if use of animal subjects in testing results in our ability to save lives or prevent injury to our troops, we're confident this is the right thing to do."

The study, which saw the animals being subjected to 200 explosions, reportedly revealed that the shield would not increase the risk of brain injury.

The test was run for an 11-month period and a second round is slated for later this year.

Martin Stephens, vice president for animal research issues at the Humane Society of the United States, however, questioned the relevance of the test saying "people are not pigs."

"Is this the best they can do after several years of losing soldiers to roadside bombs?" he added.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Most of the armor-clad animals died...

This reminds me when I was in the Coast Guard we were out to sea (I was on a 327ft cutter) we practiced nuclear drills and one of them was the proper stance to take before a nuclear blast...

... it was to hold onto something solid, flex your legs and cushion your head.

Well smart ass me asked if they had ever tried this and I was told yes... they had filled a decommissioned ship with monkey's trained to take this position at a signal and put them within range of one on the Bikini blasts...

I asked what happened...

They all died from shock.

So much for the pigs... sausage anyone?

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This is gross, sick for them to do that. Kind of makes me think someone is just getting his or her kicks seeing animals blow up.

Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig, it's not going to change anything.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I still say that your dog is absolutely GORGEOUS! If you could supply puppies of that sort, I'd buy them all!!!

It's funny that they would think that exposing ANYTHING to a blast would prove anything useful at all. Explosions all have random chaos due to the munition's manufacture and the environment around it. No matter what sort of armor is employed it's still going to resonate the shock.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Thanks... he is a pretty boy... Chow/Border Collie and Pomm... he's fixed though... He is also a very good boy... 45 pounds of fur and love.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't see the necessity of even using animals when ballistic gel and creative, anthropomorphic dummies will model the effects of bomb blasts on soft tissue quite well.

And rats? Are you kidding me?
They actually bothered testing on rats?

The rats probably died from the sonic shockwave of the blast alone, let alone the fragments or blast wave.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The only part about this that really bothers me is that those pigs probably could have provided meat.

Whoever mentioned the life-like dummies and ballistics gel is right-on point. We don't need to use pigs.

My point is it's just such a waste of food. I'm not trying to be funny either.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well, when you've got seven hundred billion dollars to burn in a year, I guess you start thinking of creative ways to make BBQ.

In all seriousness, it would've probably been cheaper to use ballistics gel and dummies for this. And made more sense, since those would resemble a human body, and make it easier to test area and limb specifics of the suit. But whats making sense got to do with R&D?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Pig one: "dude you look pretty good in that body armor" pig 2: "thanks it's a little tight on the waist" Pig one: "so how did you hear of this job opening?" pig2: "on hotjobwire" Pig 1: "ya nice and easy i just signed the waiver and they paid me in cash and here I am, whatcha doing after work?" Pig2 "they mentioned something about dinner".......

Sorry I had too, I do agree on this because I'd love to see more protection for troops in the NEAR future by any means.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Given the fact that almost all of modern medicine and cosmetics were,are and will be based on animal testing, i fail to see hy this would shock anyone. Lets face it, parts on asia feast on dogs just like we do on cattle, nasa itself has been testing new radical medicine in zero gravity since Space Lab.

edit: forgot the link www.aavs.org...

[edit on 13-4-2009 by tristar]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

We're shocked for two reasons. ( Well, I am. )

First that they were alive, since the people who still use pig carcasses for ballistics testing use dead ones.

And second because they used pigs in the first place, when better alternatives are available.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is the world we live in. How are we ever to rise to a type 1 society when this type of act is laughed at and allowed?

This is deplorable and heinous.

Like we dont have plastics and rubber that would more acurately guage the impact of the explosions with out harm to human or animal?

I regret reading this insane and evil torturous report.

My prayers go out to the innocent sentient beings.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by antar]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Although I agree that other alternatives might have been more appropriate, I beg to question many of you if you have ever thought about the meat you put on your table and in what ways those animals were killed?

I personally haven't and may have to ponder that same question.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Fair enough, i just thought that it was common knowledge that we use live animals instead of dead ones. As live animals do give more feedback during tests. Did you read my link at all, its very clear.
On the lighter side of testing, we as humans did and are still testing modern medicine on humans with or without their knowledge. Umm what do they classify as ...umm.. oh yes its called experimental drug's, usually conducted in hospitals with the written consent of the patient of his or her next of kin.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Given the fact that almost all of modern medicine and cosmetics were,are and will be based on animal testing, i fail to see hy this would shock anyone.

Well for one, smearing lipstick on a pig (
excuse the Palin reference) does NOT kill it.
Injecting chickens with hormones does not kill them either.

These pigs were slaughtered in an utterly non-surgical and brutal manner. I mean yes we slaughter cattle by the millions a year, but we don't blow their limbs off do we?
At least they're rendered incapacitated and unconsciousness before being killed.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
"Two of the most recognized agencies that practice vivisection are the Department of Defense (DoD) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). In the fiscal year 2001, 330,149 animals, including birds, cats, dogs, ferrets, fish, goats, marine mammals, mice, pigs, primates, rabbits, rats, and sheep, were used in military and space related experiments, according to the DoD, and this total does not include animals used for breeding."

I myself find it natural that afew hundred thousand need to be tested on for the benefit of the human race. I just cannot see why this shocks people. As you said, about slaughtering cattle for hamburgers, well have you ever been to a slaughter house, if you have then you might have seen how many cattle are not killed instantly by the cattle prod. Oh, wait, lets not even approach the Turkey farms, but then again thats for thanks giving.

edit: I refuse to post the link as its too graphic for it be viewed directly, but you could c/p (Slaughterhouse Investigation) in youtube and you will see how humane the whole concept of animal cruelty is. Hey, like it or not, were on top of the food chain and thats about the reality of it all.

A brief positive outcome of animal testing by NASA is detailed in the link below.
www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 13-4-2009 by tristar]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well, they say killing/harming animals, purposely, leads to murder.

You won't have to worry about animals being blown up anymore.

Soon enough...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well how did they blow them up?
If they had armor on how did they blow them up?
Wouldn't the armor have protected them?
Then what is the point of having the armor, if it wouldn't protect troops?
Clearly if the armor worked, then it wouldn't blow up the pigs or the troops.
So is this a huge fail we are seeing?
Im surprised they didn't test it on live people, they have tested everything else on live people.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Testing this stuff on pigs? Very inhumane, but at least it makes a little bit of sense, as they are at least a fraction of the size of a human.

But...RATS?

RATS?

ARE YOU KIDDING?

Since when is exploding something the size of my foot going to save a soldier?

This sounds more like a bunch of bored people sitting around saying "How can we make testing this stuff more fun? I KNOW! We'll blow them up! It'll be just like when I used to shove firecrackers up frog's butts *they all sit back to laugh about their sadism*"

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bungyjumper43

Well how did they blow them up?
If they had armor on how did they blow them up?

They were testing the limits of the armour and the amount of force it takes to compromise it.

So you can bet they died in a pretty ghastly way.

My bet is they probably simulated IED blasts on Humvees and Trucks while the animals were placed inside them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join