It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia Is In Mourning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Harry Kalas has just passed away. Harry Kalas was the Hall Of Fame voice for the Philadelphia Phillies. His voice was so very unique, as was the man. Since 1971 Harry called every game. He was welcomed into every home via TV or radio by all of us who call Philadelphia home. Walk down the streets of Philly, and you'd hear his voice coming from many homes. Walk 'down the shore' - Philly vernacular for the beach, and you would hear Harry's voice from blanket to blanket. He had a warm personality, and always let you into his life. His wonderful stories were always amazing and riveting. He was like an uncle to many. His calls of the game were incomparable. He was passionate of the game, the team, and the town. I just listened to grown men at a press conference who were co broadcasters of Harry's break down.
Some men pretend to care. Some do. Harry was always available to the public. I met him once, and was astoished that he did alot more than just say Hi. He really did care about everyone. He was never to busy to tell a story, sign an autograph and tell a silly joke. Munching on a hot dog with the rest of the fans.
Every person I know in this town tries to do Harry Kalas impressions when they step onto the sandlot diamond and play a game. His call of last years Phillies World Series Championship win was paramount.
Harry Kalas. A Gentleman. A humanitarian. A freakin' legend.

Harry. You might be "oughta here" (His famous catch phrase) but you will never EVER be forgotten. You were loved by many many MANY people. Heaven is a better place today.
Rest in Peace Harry.
Luv ya man, and I miss you already.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by lombozo]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I was at work when i heard about it. A very sad day in baseball, he spent so many years doing what he loved and brought smiles to millions of faces.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This is one of the saddest bays that Major League Baseball has seen in years. The passing of Kalas also means the passing of the torch in Philadelphia sports. Yankees fans went through loosing Phil Rizzuto a few years ago. The Cincinatti Reds with Joe Nuxall last year. Now, Philadelphia is without their voice in a tragic turn.

Rest in Peace.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The disbelief I experienced when I heard it was something I haven't felt in a long time... He has called every game since before I was born. In some ways, I can imagine I heard many of his calls while my mother was pregnant with me. It was still one of the most recognizable voices in my life. Then in my formative years, with Mitch Williams, Lenny Dykstra, Pete Incavilia, Mike Schmidt.... Ugh, it kills me. Not trying to be over-dramatic, but the guy was a bigger part of my life than I would've expected. Kudos for starting the thread, rest in peace, Harry.

I almost find it poetic that he really did die doing what he loved. Not many people can say that, but I don't think anyone's heart belonged to the Phillies more than his. I'm really glad the team and the city could give him the big win before he went. I suppose his timing was right, is what I'm trying to say.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Sorry for your loss of a great voice and a great man.
Sportscasters can leave us with many memories. I grew up in Los Angeles and remember the hot summer evenings hearing Vin Scully announce the Dodgers game, as my dad sat glued to his portable transistor radio (new technology back then!) on the back porch.
I loved it when my dad took us to the games. We loved the Dodgers, whether they won or lost. Seems like so many years they would make it to the top in rankings, then fall. We still loved 'em. Always great games.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert
I grew up in Los Angeles and remember the hot summer evenings hearing Vin Scully announce the Dodgers game, as my dad sat glued to his portable transistor radio (new technology back then!) on the back porch.

Me too my friend. Scully's voice brings back so many memories from my childhood when the Big Blue Wrecking Crew was on the field. As far as Kalas goes, at least he died doing what he loved, he keeled over in the booth. His voice will be missed.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join