It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My local Tea Party promoted by Republican Committee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Polpourri: Tax day tea party planned

Feeling taxed to the max? Make your righteous indignation heard at a tax day Tea Party at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Ah-Nab-Awen Park in Grand Rapids. The forum will be one of several across the country by organizers who are "tea'd off." While the local event is promoted by the Kent County Republican Committee, the blogosphere is rife with sniping from Libertarians who claim credit for the concept before it was "co-opted by Republicans who either stood silently or only gave passive criticism to the spending spree of George W. Bush."

www.mlive.com...

I just found out today that the city I work in is having a tea party..which at first i thought was great. Then I read this article.

I know this is only one tea party...but I HATE the fact that any party is promoting this. Now i'm not sure I'll go...I may do a quick drive by before it starts to see what kind of group has gathered.

If it's a Democrat bashing only extravaganza...then I probably won't go to it...unless I feel the need to ruffle some feathers and show them what they should really be concerned with...besides the spending....THE FEDERAL RESERVE..or that voting in someone like Newt Gingrich or most any other Republican will bring about no change.

I hope i'm wrong about this and it's what I hope it will be...a protest against debt/spending/inflation.

I know the left is doing the best to discredit these...we'll see if they are right about it.

Edit to add:

I also just wanted to state that I thought this was about spending..not taxes. I know the comparisons are being made to the Boston Tea Party...but to me it doesn't matter what the name of the freakin protests are...

[edit on 13-4-2009 by David9176]

[edit on 13-4-2009 by David9176]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
According to the Tax Day Tea Party website:

The Tea Party protests, in their current form, began in early 2009 when Rick Santelli, the On Air Editor for CNBC, set out on a rant to expose the bankrupt liberal agenda of the White House Administration and Congress. Specifically, the flawed “Stimulus Bill” and pork filled budget.

During Rick’s rant (see video below), he called for a “Chicago tea Party” where advocates of the free-market system could join in a protest against out of control government spending.

It is supposed to be protests against the government spending that has been going on as well as taxes. They have a few pdf's on their site that contain 12 American Solutions for Jobs & Prosperity and their reasoning to Reduce the Business Tax Rate. So you were partially correct on it's purpose.

I just hope that everyone who goes to these can put aside their partisan chest-thumping long enough to actually accomplish something. Concerns about spending and taxes aren't sole property of either party, and neither are any protests over them.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Well if you see a guy on the news with a sign that says...

Greenspan, Paulson, Bernanke, and Geithner should be in prison!!......well that might just be me.

I really think the protests should be about inflation....that's the real tax we are all hit with.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I'll keep an eye out for you then.

And I agree that inflation should probably be included. It's understandable when prices go up a little bit each year, and it was understandable when gas prices were sky high causing the price of everything else to go up. Logic would dictate though that once gas prices came back down, the price of everything else would too at least a little if the increases were indeed caused by increased shipping costs for the manufacturer. That they haven't really come back down much at all tells me something funky is going on.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I hope i'm wrong about this and it's what I hope it will be...a protest against debt/spending/inflation.

Imo, it is a protest against the overall piss-poor way our gov't is handling the economy. You can cherry-pick any one item to highlight, but it doesn't really matter. If it serves to get the attention of the pols (doubtful) and to spur action at the polls (hopeful) then it will have been successful, imo. In the end, nobody is going to remember or care who sponsored which rally.

Inflation? You haven't seen inflation yet. I bought my first property under the Carter admin and the mortgage rate was 18%.

But just be patient...it will be here, right after taxes start going through the roof.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by jsobecky]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well, I was just looking at the list of Michigan Tea Parties, and it looks like it could take on a major pro-GOP, anti-liberal vibe. They seem to only be popping up in cities that have more of a right-wing population, and there are some very important, but very left-wing cities that aren't on the list (like virtually all of Metro-Detroit, except Livonia).

You should show up and school people on the fact that we have what amounts to a one-party system, and let them know what the real problems are.

new topics

top topics

join