It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Turkish police swoop for suspected conspirators' planning to overthrow government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

'Turkish police swoop for suspected conspirators' planning to overthrow government

www.cnn.com

Police raided the homes and offices of at least a half dozen prominent Turkish academics across Turkey Monday against what was reported to be a plot to overthrow the government.
Critics claim the probe is a witch-hunt of opponents of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

At least four current and retired university rectors were detained, along with one of the directors of a non-governmental organization that provides scholarships to tens of thousands of young Turkish women.

More then 130 suspects, including retired army generals, police officers, businessmen, journalists and academics, have been implicated in the alleged "Ergenekon" gang. Suspects have been accused of carrying out assassinations and bombings in an effort to destabilize society and undermine Turkey's elected government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-4-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Interesting ... wouldn't be surprised if more of these stories started popping up with the way the economy is ... just my opinion though ... kind of surprising the different levels of people involved ... i mean there was little bit of ever thing involved ... these people really were trying though
, i have to give them that, more then what some people on here are willing to do

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
A campaign of assassinations and bombings? I don't think so.

It's no big secret any Turkish academics or politicians who raise public questions about the taboo topic of the Armenian Genocide or Kurdish Independence movement in Turkey suddenly get arrested.

Look at Orhan Pamuk, Elif Şafak, Perihan Mağden, Ragıp Zarakolu, Rahîm Er or Hrant Dink.

Turkey has a ridiculous law that makes "Insulting Turkishness" and the Turkish Government a punishable offence. See here
It's nothing more than political assassination legitimised through the courts.

They use this excuse to arrest and detain people with a wide-ranging array of political beliefs (such as blaming the Armenian Genocide on Turkey, questioning the legitimacy of the occupation of Cyprus, supporting Kurdish independence), all of which Turkish the government disagrees with.

Now they're using half-baked nonsense about "terrorism" and a alleged "coup" to crack down on political dissent.

[edit on 13/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

new topics

join