It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some citizens being held as illegal immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Some citizens being held as illegal immigrants

www.msnbc.msn.com

In a drive to crack down on illegal immigrants, the United States has locked up or thrown out dozens, probably many more, of its own citizens over the past eight years. A monthslong AP investigation has documented 55 such cases, on the basis of interviews, lawsuits and documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act. These citizens are detained for anything from a day to five years. Immigration lawyers say there are actually hundreds of such cases.

It is illegal to deport U.S. citizens or detain them for immigration violations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

It is illegal to deport U.S. citizens or detain them for immigration violations. Yet citizens still end up in detention because the system is overwhelmed

Really? Overwhelmed?

Seems like a free for all, let everyone in and worry about catching them once they are in the country.

Bunch of chimpanzees as elected officials.

I said it before, i'll say it again.. I'm glad I left!

What is overwhelming is the number of illegals that enter the country, not the number of illegals to catch. No that number is not overwhelming, it's just stupid.

This article is horrible.

Firstly they say there are only about a douzen such cases
then they say

It's impossible to know exactly how many citizens have been detained or deported because nobody keeps track.
These cases are surprisingly, painfully common," she said.

What's that all about?

Different sources yes, but still.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
How incompetent can our government get?

First, with terrorism they go after innocent civilians. Now, with illegal immigrants they go after regulat citizens.

Come on this is ridiculous. I don't see what justifications they have for going after regular citizens. I don't like illegals as much as the other guy but this is too much.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I agree that this is ridiculous. The only problem is there isn't any way to fix it, that I can think of off the top of my head, that won't have negative ramifications. If they stop deporting illegals, and don't stop them from entering illegally to begin with, then the current problems will just get worse. If they set up a national database that immigration and border patrol agents can access to check if someone is a citizen, that could lead to it being used for unnecessary monitoring. If they keep doing it the way they have been, innocent people get deported over stereotypes.

If nothing else, they need to start checking into claims of citizenship a bit better and a lot quicker so that this stops happening.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I wonder how much of this has to do with someone being unfortunate enough to have the same name as a known illegal.

This is one reason that I'm glad that I have a passport [I usually carry mine with me, even if I'm back home in the US]. If the government flubs up, a passport is a good way to show one's citizenship.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I disagree, there are ways to fix it
but it will never happen

because all the money that could be used for border security is being used up for bailouts and for both maintaning and expanding a global empire, propping up govts, funding israel, and god knows what else.

i've seen many of your posts and agree with you often
so don't take this the wrong way friend, but part of the problem is also people saying that there's no way to fix it.

Of course there's ways to fix it, going to the source of it
border control

but a national security and domestic funding is never a priority unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
I wonder how much of this has to do with someone being unfortunate enough to have the same name as a known illegal.

I wondered that as well as how much of it has to do with illegals using a citizen's identity. On the last page, I think, of the article linked in the OP it talks about a guy who had a passport but due to a previous incident where he crossed the border to visit family and had two different birth certificates that showed different hospital registration dates, border patrol thought his passport was fake. So even a passport isn't a guarantee that you won't be picked up as an illegal immigrant.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree that there's a way to fix it, just none that I could think of off the top of my head that didn't have problems. If they tightened border security it would certainly cut off, or at least greatly reduce, the number of people entering illegally. Unfortunately it would do nothing about the number that have already snuck in and that issue needs to be resolved as well. The ultimate solution will have to resolve both issues, so it will naturally have to involve stricter border patrols as well as deportation but the way they are currently going about finding the illegals who are currently in the country is obviously flawed.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Sure, I agree
but of course if you have to finish drinking a glass of milk which you find very difficult, perhaps you should first stop pouring more and more milk into it.

finding illegals will always be overwhelming as long as their number continues to grow

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Or someone who's legitimate SS # was stolen by an illegal immigrant.

Personally I feel this is one reason why we need a single national ID document that would serve all purposes (passport, SS #, driver's license, etc) all in one regulated and controlled by one agency. If a person has this ID document on them it means either a citizen or we need to call the DOJ Inspector General because have a crooked official handing out legitimate documents to those who shouldent have them.

@ Jenna, I think were just going to have to deal with it in regards to the 12 million + already here. The Democrats will never agree to anything that would endanger their future votes. A legalization of illegal immigrants by the Democrats would pretty much ensure their control for the foreseeable future.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by ChrisF231]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is what many anti-illegal opponents don't have to deal with. They don't have to worry about a cop pulling you over cause the color of your skin and asking you if you are legal or not. Cops who aren't trained to be border patrol agents.

This has already happened to me and several of my friend, all natural born Americans. I don't mind if everybody wants illegals out, but they dang ought to find a better way to determine who is illegal or not than by the color of their skin.

new topics

top topics

join