It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Mayor has proposed a street light fee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Washington Mayor has proposed a street light fee

www.msnbc.msn.com

Such cash-per-crash ordinances tend to infuriate motorists, and they often generate bad press, but a lot of cities are finding them hard to resist. With the economy flailing and budgets strained, state and local governments are being creative about ways to raise money. And the go-to idea is to invent a fee — or simply raise one.

Washington’s mayor, Adrian M. Fenty, has proposed a “streetlight user fee” of $4.25 a month, to be added to electric bills, that would cover the cost of operating and maintaining the city’s streetlights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
This is getting out of hand but with all the spending it will just get worse.

You can't pay for all the spending Bush, Obama and some states have done. We are in a global economy with cheap labor. In a global economy we move from producers to consumers. A big government and all of this wasteful spending will just spell our demise.

We can't create the kind of jobs or enough jobs to sustain the spending because of cheap labor. They will have to push for illegal immigration and America will split into two classes. The working poor and the entrepreneur class.

Obama says we will create new jobs that will not leave. You have to be kidding. What are these magic jobs?

It's the same line that was fed to sell NAFTA. They said new, stronger jobs will be the result of NAFTA but anyone could see that was not the case because of cheap labor.

So basically, all this spending means we are in trouble.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Interesting article for a couple of reasons.

To a certain extent, I can understand some aspects of a user-pays system. However, a few of the examples cited in the article are ridiculous.

As for the street lights... personally I hate them. I always have and I always will. Is it a testament to mankind that we're perpetually afraid of the dark?

The best nights around me are few and far between, when the occasional blackout turns off all of the streetlights. Stars - amazing. Try it some time...

Don't pay the streetlight fee. Switch them all off. Maybe then, people would go to bed and sleep, when they're supposed to.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I am actually surprised they used the utility bill rout rather than the street light camera rout. With all the street light cameras all they would have to do is record all the license plates that pass through the light and devide the cost between all of the people who use the lights.
Not that the people would let this happen, but I am surprised they did not try this first.

What we all have to look forward to is mandatory GPS tracking systems in our vehicles to automatically bill us with fees for everything that we drive past and through.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
just wait till they add the electricity to run the water company to your electric bill!
In 2006 our water bill was a max of 120$ a 2 month cycle now it is averaging 265$ a 2 month cycle; on top of that we are being charged 8.640 cents per killowatt of electricty we use to "pay for the water company usage". NOT based on our water usage but our WHOLE electricty usage. Our electricty bill hasn't dipped below $280 dollars in the last 14 months! (I have gotten energy efficent everything and took away half the light bulbs to no avail... the bill stay's the same due to the water company "supposedly")
People wonder why everyone is leaving California...truth is everyone else is starting to pick up on the stupid bills they stick us with here and instituting them in their own states.

go to the back of the last page of your electricity bill and read the smaller print. The water company charge was in small print till last month when it made the news. (they did an investigation over it..aka no law was passed allowing them to do it.) Now it is in normal print like th erest of the bill but still on the back of the last page.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by xoxo stacie]

top topics

join