It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic will be ice-free within a decade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

The Nasa figures showed an increase in winter sea ice this year to 5.85 million square miles, 282,000 square miles above the record low of 2006.

Walt Meier, research scientist at the National Snow and Ice Data Centre at the University of Colorado where the research was carried out, said global warming had caused the ice to retreat dramatically in the last two decades. The six lowest recordings of sea ice cover were all recorded in the last six years.

He said thinner sea ice is less likely to survive the summer and predicted the Arctic Ocean will be effectively ice free sometime between 2020 and 2040, although it is possible it could happen as early as 2013.

"Most people would agree it is not a matter of if we lose the summer sea ice but when," he said. "Temperatures are still warming because of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and the greenhouse effect. Even if we stopped that temperatures will continue rising and we will see 'positive feedback' where the ocean absorbs more energy therefore increasing the melting effect."

Separate studies of the North Pole using computer models have predicted that the area will be ice free by 2037.

Full Article Here

This could be quite devastating for the Earth ... it will be a sad day when the arctic ice melts ... i believe it's very likely (as the numbers don't lie imo) unless we do something! ... what are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

I think you are falling for the hesteria from people are pushing this global warming agenda.

They want everyone to think we are the reason for all the problems of the world, global warming is just the step needed to make every human pay a carbon tax, if the ice is melting, I would be looking for a giant heater rather than natural effects.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101

The Nasa figures showed an increase in winter sea ice this year to 5.85 million square miles, 282,000 square miles above the record low of 2006.

Walt Meier, research scientist at the National Snow and Ice Data Centre at the University of Colorado where the research was carried out, said global warming had caused the ice to retreat dramatically in the last two decades. The six lowest recordings of sea ice cover were all recorded in the last six years.

He said thinner sea ice is less likely to survive the summer and predicted the Arctic Ocean will be effectively ice free sometime between 2020 and 2040, although it is possible it could happen as early as 2013.

"Most people would agree it is not a matter of if we lose the summer sea ice but when," he said. "Temperatures are still warming because of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and the greenhouse effect. Even if we stopped that temperatures will continue rising and we will see 'positive feedback' where the ocean absorbs more energy therefore increasing the melting effect."

Separate studies of the North Pole using computer models have predicted that the area will be ice free by 2037.

Full Article Here

This could be quite devastating for the Earth ... it will be a sad day when the arctic ice melts ... i believe it's very likely (as the numbers don't lie imo) unless we do something! ... what are your thoughts?

BULL#.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

They want everyone to think we are the reason for all the problems of the world, global warming is just the step needed to make every human pay a carbon tax, if the ice is melting, I would be looking for a giant heater rather than natural effects.

... I bet you would be looking for a giant heater.

"The government, they've created a giant heater to melt the ice, so that they can tax us more!"

That doesn't sound crazy at all.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

I believe there is a giant heater that comes by the name of HAARP.
They can focus and alter the atmosphere so as to work as a lense to magnify the sun.
That could possibly explain how they get hot spots even when the ice is growing to try and cover their backsides when their numbers where found to be incorrect about the hottest year on record.

top topics

join