It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Plans Massive New High Speed Railroad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Obama Plans Massive New High Speed Railroad

www.treehugger.com

More good news from that economic stimulus bill that's poised to pump some serious money into green projects across the country: a big chunk of the funding will be used to create a huge new railroad system. Now I know what you're thinking—either I'm reporting on the wrong major recession, or now Obama is just copying the New Deal line by line. Not so. This is the biggest investment in rail in US history—and it could seriously change the way Americans travel. Here's how.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 4/15/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I don't think 8 billion is enough, but it's a start! I hope he adds to it.

A video here:

cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

Obama hopes to build upon that model by installing railroads to link cities in other parts of the nation—an effort he believes could help revitalize the Midwest. A faster rail service could relieve traffic congestion, conserve energy, prevent pollution, and offer greater accessibility for intercity travel. Which may be why it's a key part of Obama's vision for America's future—you may have heard him mention it a couple months back on the campaign trail.

www.treehugger.com

[edit on 4/15/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Good. We're gonna be able to go faster from a tent city to another tent city. Great.

8 more billions down the drain.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Which may be why it's a key part of Obama's vision for America's future—

Nice, 8 billion to hi-speed trains. This will connect the Rex 84 camps in every state to one another. All those nice trains waiting to carry the remaining free-thinking individuals to their demise.

This might be the last remaining piece to prove that they are planning to put many of us away, and you guys are celebrating it like Obama just saved our economy.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Good. We're gonna be able to go faster from a tent city to another tent city. Great.

8 more billions down the drain.

So do you support that money wasted in Iraq? just asking

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Were having to borrow cash from other countries because we are going into debt even further now that obama is spending like crazy and your happy about it?

I dont see how its going to help the environment, i mean hes gonna have to cut down a lot more trees so he can keep printing money for all this special interest b.s.

We dont need a train, we need a plan and we need him gone

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Which may be why it's a key part of Obama's vision for America's future—

Nice, 8 billion to hi-speed trains. This will connect the Rex 84 camps in every state to one another. All those nice trains waiting to carry the remaining free-thinking individuals to their demise.

This might be the last remaining piece to prove that they are planning to put many of us away, and you guys are celebrating it like Obama just saved our economy.

Actually that quote wasn't mine, it was from the article. I'm saying I hope he puts more into these trains, I'm quite an advocate of them.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Of course not. I've always been against the war in Iraq. Still is. Still against the war in Afghanistan. Still against a war against Pakistan, Iran or North Korea.

That's not our business at all and war doesn't solve anything. Iraqis were way better before US involvment when they put Saddam in power in the 70s.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Of course not. I've always been against the war in Iraq. Still is. Still against the war in Afghanistan. Still against a war against Pakistan, Iran or North Korea.

That's not our business at all and war doesn't solve anything. Iraqis were way better before US involvment when they put Saddam in power in the 70s.

Okay, just making sure.

Yeah, I think it's just a drop in the bucket. Same with his $2 billion to child health care right around putting another $80 billion to the war.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the quoted piece was yours.

I guess I didn't make much sense at all, with what I was trying to get at. I hope someone else is able to spell it out for me.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The first thing I read the article was that: we're going to be sent to the FEMA camps.

They're going to obviously be using this government ran train to send us to the camps. I find this project highly suspicious. And the MSM says, OHHH it's good for you.

I'm sick of this world.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
8 billion isn't nearly enough - but it's a start.

Installing a true high speed rail system - like the shinkansen or the maglev they run in Shanghai would require at least 10 times that for the former, and 100 times for the latter.

But it'd be worth it.

Tokyo to Osaka - 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Flight time: 1 hour, 10 minutes.

BUT -

You've got to get to and from the airports, vs. hopping the subway to the station. There's another 20 minutes on either end. You've got to arrive early for check in, vs. walking in and boarding the train as the doors close behind you - there's another 40 minutes. You've got to wait for your bags, which you can just carry on and stow yourself if you've got them - there's another 20.

So the travel time is about the same, maybe even faster with the train. And it's cheaper. I've done it as a daily commute a few times, when I lived in Tokyo. It's painless. Far more relaxing than the plane, and as much as I love my car, it's far more relaxing than that as well.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious John Titor tie-in here, as he predicted there would be a high-speed rail system connecting all the cities. I mean, this is a conspiracy site, or is it not?

The picture in the article looks cool and futuristic. We probably don't have the money to spend on something like this, but all they've got to do is print it.

So far it seems just printing money has no effect on the US Dollar, as it just keeps going up, up, up...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for the neo-con apologists to start chiming in here claiming this money could be better spent on "Black Projects" and more munitions to support Israel or to set up more Ballistic Missile shields in Europe.

Of course spending $8 billion dollars to develop a new, high-speed transit infrastructure (to replace aging and under utilised locomotives) that will in itself entail the creation of hundreds of thousands of jobs and allow cheaper, faster inter-state travel is a complete waste.

What good could this do? We don't need more jobs right now or better social support services, no. People love the government in this time of crisis, why should we earn their trust that's already set in concrete?

Funnelling money to Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan and fancy new toys with which to dominate the world is of course never a waste, on the other hand.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I heard the Afgan and Iraq war are now at like 1 trillion in costs (minus the longterm cost for taking care of injured troops more than likely) and I was thinking what we could have spent that money on differently, sort of "what if-ing". But how much cooler it would have been to spend 1 trillion on high speed transportation systems like this instead of 1 war at least that was wrong. Some of those trains going insanely fast, and they should be fairly cheap to get a ticket. You could go to California or Florida for like 3-4 days and it'd cost very little, that'd be pretty cool.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Were having to borrow cash from other countries because we are going into debt even further now that obama is spending like crazy and your happy about it?

I dont see how its going to help the environment, i mean hes gonna have to cut down a lot more trees so he can keep printing money for all this special interest b.s.

We dont need a train, we need a plan and we need him gone

this line of thinking makes me smirk.

There is 'no' other way to do things than the way it's being done now....
These arguments remind me of having a argument with my wife.

It's all based on emotion and facts are never considered.
Don't get me wrong, i love my wife to death and we very rarely argue. But when we do...this is exactly how it unfolds.

"you're wrong because im mad!!!"

The only way for a country to get out of debt is to create the means for it to work it's own way out.
If the government doesn't help create new jobs, who will?

You?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So... the response to spending lots of money on any thing is to compare it to what was spent on wars? Yeahhh ok. Two wrongs don't make printing money out of thin air right.

I've never been a fan of public transit. Maybe that's because I grew up in Detroit and the busses and People Mover (aka the Mugger Mover) were so... avoided.

So if I'm lucky enough to keep my job and am having trouble making ends meet in this economy why would I ride a high speed train to another city? Ohh wait it will only connect major cities right? So in reality it will be of zero use to me. Or my community. Or the entire half of the state I live in.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
meh, titor got so many things wrong.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

thats just it, i dont WANT the government to create new jobs, I want the government as far out of my face and the private sector as they can be.

How can you want to rely on the government to provide us with new jobs? Dont you understand what road that line of thinking takes us down?

I want the government out of my business and out of the private so that THE PEOPLE can create the new jobs, private business owners, yes, WEALTHY people are the people that make new jobs, and as a matter of fact, as a contractor YES i do employ people.

You can be as smug as you want there buddy, but the fact is, with the government having their nose in everything and regulating everything the number of jobs in America is going to go DOWN, because private citizens will be regulated to such an extent that THEY CANT bring about new jobs.

Quit thinking with your partisan brain and start thinking with logic, this isnt a republican thing or a democratic thing, its not a liberal thing or a conservative thing, its an AMERICAN thing, and this man is printing so much money for b.s that pretty soon there will be no hope for digging out of it.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
$8billion is a good start....

high-speed, bullet trains between cities... lets hope that intra-city rail is also available...

that would cut down on the need for air-travel between cities and urban congestion with private vehicles in towns & metro areas...

what will be needed after the railway-trolleys
are 3rd tier hubs that provide day rentals of Golf-Cars or Segways
to traverse the final 1,000 yards to the final destination... be it work or whatever.

Obama, & the legions of dullards who think they are on the cutting edge of urban planning... are (in my view-scope) 40 years behind-the-times...

European/German cities have had 20-30 pfennig (about 12-15 cents) rides on public transportation trolly cars for 2 generations that i know of already...
while the high-metabolism Americans opted for individual muscle cars & mega-spaced out suburbs & strip-mall landscapes....
Boom-&-Blam... Reality is smacking us all in the face now, huh

let's see what starts to develop....

new topics

<<   2 >>

join