It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People should stop watching the mainstream media.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I think people should stop watching the mainstream media and go to other sources of news and information. I used to watch a lot of mainstream media. I recognized that all the news stations had agendas. MSNBC clearly has a liberal agenda. CNN has a populist agenda. Fox news has a heavily conservative biased base. They all want for their viewers to NOT only get the news but to be conditioned to accept their opinions so when their political parties they work for run for office they will vote for them. I think we should stop watching the mainstream media and get our news sources from online and other sources that doesn't have the brainwashing included because it's clear that these news agencies don't work for the people. There are tons of news items that they don't report and the news that they report is always partisan. I think it's about time people start waking up and stop watching the MSM.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I agree with you, my friend. From a French point of view, I knew the US would attack Iraq when " Countdown : Iraq " first aired on FOX NEWS. This was a gross example of mind-conditioning .
However, internet so-called "free and independent information" is a joke. They copy-paste from local websites and very often emphasizes their stories so they can get visit-records on their websites, and when they got recognition, they become a part of the MSM.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I believe the reason people watch the main stream media is because that is what is fed to them. Quite literally on Cable and satellite. It would be a good Idea to have a section on ATS that has a list of trusted alternative news sources. If we could get a ranking system with the list that would help as well. And how would we know which are credible at all? Some of these websites one just has to have faith they are honest.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
It would be a good Idea to have a section on ATS that has a list of trusted alternative news sources.

Do you really believe that there are actually "trusted" news sources, whether alternative or otherwise? They all have a political or ideological bias, all of them. Therefore, "trusted" becomes about as subjective as someone espousing that people should stop watching the mainstream news media outlets and sourcings.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
No, you shouldn't stop watching the mainstream media. It's important to know thy enemy. Keep watching and learn to read between the lines. They deliver a sheeple-friendly version of what is actually going on and if you pay attention you can filter out the BS and figure out what is hidden behind the euphemisms and half-truths.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
People should educate themselves on media ownership and ownership agenda. They should develop critical thinking skills so they can make their own decisions rather than becoming a mental victim of an agenda.

Many people don't even know who owns the media or what their agenda's are and that's why they fall victim to propaganda and mind conditioning. They don't realize they are being manipulated.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
They have makes us ignorant of Gods, Spirits, Aliens, UFOs, Conspiracy theories, and Real life sci-fi and Fantasy.

[edit on 25-9-2009 by masonicon]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by unconscious_war

I think the media is fascist. It's not even left or right. Most people don't even know that. They think they're all Democrats and Republicans there. They're fascists though. I should've change my topic title to though that people should stop watching the MSM as their only source of news. People that watch the MSM as their only source of news aren't really that bright about the world of politics, and, how things really work.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Whilst superficially this seems like a good idea, I actually think it's a bad idea. I think the real trick is to balance mainstream media with alternative viewpoints. Not because mainstream media necessarily has any or even no merit, but simply because you need to be aware of how other people are being informed and you need to understand what 'official' and 'spun' news looks like and how this is being presented to people generally.

I'm another that tends to be equally dubious of a lot of 'alternative' and 'trusted' news sources too. The only things I tend to trust are though that have no real partisan allegiance at all and/or are willing to put the proverbial boot into all political parties and scrutinise everything that goes on wherever it is.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
One thing that's helped open my eyes to just how bias corporately controlled media outlets are, is to watch live unedited satellite feeds, and free news in English from all over the world.

Usually these mainstream groups will take snippets of an entire speech, or town hall meeting, or press conference, and only show the parts pertinent to pushing their agenda.

While the reporters are often reading scripted drivel, sometimes you can catch more of the whole story than just the 30 second clip they want to show you at the top of their news hour.

The biggest benefit, for me, has been the ability to watch news from all over the world...for free.

With no more than the proper equipment, and no monthly fees, you can watch Aljazeera, PressTV (Iran), Russia today and thousands of other sources that most cable and satellite subscription companies wont even offer you.

Even though each of them has their own totally bias spin on things, you can sometimes pick up things that the others wouldn't dare mention. Having more than one perspective to consider certainly gives you a better sense of whole whole picture, and more to work with when forming your own opinion.

Along with news from all over the world, the live feeds can be really entertaining. I sometimes describe it as getting to watch the whole car chase, and not just the crash at the end.

Here's a thread I made on the subject.

Free to Air Satellite

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I totally agree with you. That's what I've been doing lately. I spend about 1 hour watching MSM news a day. Then I spend about like however much time other than that watching alternative news. It helps to have a balance. I get the mainline reality version of the world and the alternative news helps me filter it. I think that you can't really just go alone with alternative news media because you might end up just being uninformed or only getting one side of the story without knowing why they're saying what they're saying or doing what they're doing. There are also some reporters who feel that they actually DO have to tell the truth and that is their job. So not everyone in the MSM is a liar. It helps to get both views of reality. I would agree.

new topics

top topics

join