It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates, official says

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Autonomous
Nothing personal, but terrorist labels are thrown around way too much today.

Questioning the frequency in which terrorist labels are thrown around, is nothing but a form of terrorism. Why do you hate America?

On topic, what kind of revenge do you all suppose the pirates will take since they said they will? I don't think they desire martyrdom so I personally think the way this went down might scare quite a few of them a bit more than they would want us to believe...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
By nipping this in the bud, even though there are some members here on ATS that insisted he couldn't get involved, Obama just saved himself some major unnecessary headaches in the coming months and even years.
He gave the order, twice, to let the Seals do what they do best and he stayed out of the way.
It happened under his watch so yes he does get credit for this.
Even though he should have acted a bit sooner, he still goes up a notch in my book.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is grea, wonderful news. This man is a hero. He saccrificed himself to ensure the safety of his entire crew.

He tried to escape twice, and with the help of the SEALS was finally able to.

I am so glad we finally brought this to an end. I was worried that if we waited much longer that we might end up with some unwanted results.

I wish I could have seen the looks on the faces of this man's family and friends when they heard the great news!

I am just so glad. I only hope that pirates will learn from this and decide not to mess with US ships anymore.... I doubt it, but I do hope.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Putnam, that's one of the points I was getting at in my first post. That it was an American citizen, so therefore the American Navy get's involved, even though he is contracted to a Danish Company.

Now I still want to know what people would think would have happened if the Captain was anyone OTHER than American??? Would the American Government have turned around and said "Well, they're the risks you take sailing the high seas"??? Or would they have gotten involved anyways???

Edit - Oh and gimme, I don't know if you have been paying attention, but it was NOT an American vessel, Maersk Line is Danish!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the outburst, but I am extremely pedantic about things like this.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by TerribleTeam2]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Why dont they arm the tankers and hose em if the suckers get too close?
Surely they can see them coming on radar - one warning shot and look out bad boy , you and your friends are going down down down
That would put paid to the slime balls and make the sea around there kinder and gentler hey mates
I still have my old Intl Seaman's card
y

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2
Putnam, that's one of the points I was getting at in my first post. That it was an American citizen, so therefore the American Navy get's involved, even though he is contracted to a Danish Company.

Now I still want to know what people would think would have happened if the Captain was anyone OTHER than American??? Would the American Government have turned around and said "Well, they're the risks you take sailing the high seas"??? Or would they have gotten involved anyways???

Edit - Oh and gimme, I don't know if you have been paying attention, but it was NOT an American vessel, Maersk Line is Danish!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the outburst, but I am extremely pedantic about things like this.

No need to apologize.I am just discussing a current event,I try and keep this stuff in perspective and really like to hear other viewpoints.

Not sure of the protocol,but I imagine the only way the American Navy would have assisted a foreign citizen was if their government requested it. Was the Danish company informed?the Danish government?maybe so but the ship was already recaptured by the crew.The only loose end was the Captain,an American citizen who by all accounts acted if not bravely very decisively to at least give the rest of his crew a chance.

peace

[edit on 13-4-2009 by TerribleTeam2]

[edit on 14-4-2009 by putnam6]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
OK to those of you are sympathetic to piracy. Answer this question please.
If one of the main reasons these pirates were acting was for their starving country, then why not take the food on the vessel and take it back to the people who needed it?

And while some are busy going on about how we steal their food and saturate their coast's with toxic waste, Let's look at why this ship was there and where it was headed.

A spokesman for the World Food Program confirmed that part of the ship's cargo was being ferried on its behalf, including 4,000 metric tons of corn headed for Somalia and Uganda, and 1,000 metric tons of vegetable oil for refugees in Kenya. It was expected to dock in the Kenyan port of Mombasa on April 16.

link[www.latimes.com...
pirates9-2009apr09,0,4104857.]

So, guess these pirates were not playing "Robin Hood" after all. How tragic to know many more will pay the ultimate price due to the actions of a few. How many more days will it now take to get food to these starving people if at all?

To the Captain and the United States Navy, esp. SEALS!! Thank you for your courage and a job well done.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by paxnatus]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Great work of the Seals shooting from 75ft in the dark through a little window on the bumpy sea. The change they would hit the captain was probably very high. Thought that operations by Seals are always conducted in secret? Why did American Navy send a negotiator and afterwards state that the US doesn't negotiate?

The mixing of pirates and terrorists in wording and even claims that these hijackings had been the work of al-Qaeda is perhaps easier to make the actions acceptable to the general public.

After the rescue of the captain I heard talks about how America must fix the lack of Somalian governance. Creating jobs. And infrastructure. I really don't know what to make of that statement.

Really liked that American flag bound on the railing of the entered ship. And the 'patriotic' comments of the crew claiming to have used the water canon fighting of 4 pirates with AK's and even toke one of the pirates hostage while later there where 4 pirates in the rescue boat. The crew managed to hide in time and locking the doors resulting in only the captain being captured.

In case this ship isn't part of the Army (DoD as someone mentioned). Why didn't the company paid the ransom? Calling the captain a hero is strange. The crew send out a broadcast that they in fact toke one pirate hostage. And claimed the captain talked the pirates into a rescue boat? Guess the pirates spoke English very well and agreed with the demands of their hostage.

So why did the pirates needed that rescue boat and stay there? Where was their own boat and fellow pirate friends? I have a hard time with this story. If you know how dangerous it is in that area, but not really looking for incoming pirates and use the water canon when you notice the attack is beyond me.

The comment from one of the crew members was that the pirates wanted a American captain for ransom? So the pirates already knew they had the right ship among the other hijacked ships like the previous French hijacking. Very weird.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Stranded]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Only the United States can train Men able to Land from a plane in the Ocean, wait for 3 days after getting out of the water, wait for a target in this case 3 and simultaneously eleminate 3 Tangos and not miss one, and only fire 3 shots. 1/4 of a mile away on the ocean targeting a swaying boat, in the dark...
Goddamn.

Elite, best describes these guys. Navy Seals still remain to be the most Amazing military class in the World...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been said, but I don't think we're being given the whole story. Last I heard, the news agencies were trying to tell us that the seals shot from a helicopter (or is it a lifeboat now?). In either case, I'm in ROTC and I have a major telling us he doesn't believe that, as the platform for either is nowhere near stable enough for a sniper team. Has there been an update on this?

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Viral]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Could we believe CNN?
CNN could easily have massaged the message of
"SEALS jump overboard, captain shoots officials, pirates say"

[edit on 14-4-2009 by ctjctjctj]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Congratulations - we have some 'thinkers' on ATS again.

This story is (to quote an American New Yorker saying) so full of Boloni I'm surprised it didn't come out of a Deli.

My theory is this.

1) The boat was a department of defense boat. It was carrying food aid, and also secret cargo. Smuggling 101, have a top layer of plausible cargo, hide the goods beneath. Plausible Deniability.
2) Somali pirates intercept it, and find out what was on the boat. They get confused about their priorities because of what they have found.
3) The boats 'crew' of mercs (strangely ALL American), use the confusion to fight off most of the pirates.

This is where it gets hazy....Why would the 'captain' get caught by himself and go onto the life raft? Is he DEFINITELY the commander of these men? Maybe he is just one of them that got captured and taken away - In order for the cover to remain, he would have to be the captain.

4) 'Captain' or whoever he is makes a break for it, SEALS / Mercs shoot the crap out of the boat because the pirates have seen things they shouldn't.

Case closed.

I think I drink too much coffee. But something inside of me tells me that the 'story' we have been given here just isn't right.

Para.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

I wonder if the EU is taking legal actions against the companies that dumped their toxic waste there? I'd place my bets on not, seeing as the EU seems to be more concerned with getting into other countries' business rather than taking care of their own.

[edit on 4/12/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

I wouldnt expect the EU to care about somthing that is happening in Africa (which last time i checked was not part of Europe), also its not just European companies that sail the route so probably would'nt be the only ones dumping. I also think that hijacking a ship carrying food aid under the false pretence that it was dunmping waste is not a very good excuse.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Yacov - first of all, it was a Container vessel. Hell of a difference between a Container Vessel and a Tanker. Container vessel obviously carries containers, Tankers carry Oil, Liquid Gasses, or Liquid Chemicals. And the reason vessels aren't armed up is because of Shipping regulations, and Safety procedures. Especially on Tankers, where you may be sitting on top of up to 400,000 tonnes of highly flammable liquid. And yes, the ULCC (Ultra Large Crude Carriers) today can carry up to that amount, some even more.

And to Parallex - are you serious???? Are you honestly serious or have you forgotten to take your medicine today???? If you want, I can get you in touch with a few of Maersk Lines Senior Officers and Management, and they will tell you how American they are. So American DoD in fact, they live in a country half a world away!!!! And it's a massive conspiracy involving the Americans, the Danish community, and the several Filipino crew I saw in the pictures standing on the deck!!!!!!!!

Sorry man, but that is the most laughable thing I have heard in a LONG time!!!! I am literally sitting here shaking my head in disbelief. I don't mean to sound rude, and if I am being rude, I am sorry, but what you typed is seriously bordering on the rediculous.

I can honestly tell you now, from experience in the industry, that the amount of paperwork involved on just the 1 vessel to come in and out of port, and the fact that at every port the Vessel is checked by Quarantine and Customs, and the fact that the Commanding Officer (99.9999999% of the time the Captain) has to declare everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that is onboard to Customs and Quarantine. I have been in several Captains' Offices when they have been dealing with Customs onboard, and the paperwork is honestly mindboggling. And if you ask me, and a couple of Captains have said this about themselves, that they are effectively Company Clerks that are in Command, and the day to day running of the vessel is left up to the Chief Officer, Chief Engineer and the Bosun (Boatswain - senior most non-officer. Basically like a Sergeant-Major onboard a civilian vessel).

And that's my little rant for the day.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by TerribleTeam2]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

Thanks for that. Back in your box.

The news reports we had over here stated that the crew was unusually all American. If this is wrong, prove it, and I will concede. Just don't make like a whiny talk show host about it ok?

And if you had bothered to read past my theorising, you would've noted that I stated I was throwing a curve ball with that post. And that I was merely trying to say that the whole story stunk to high hell.

Whats your stake in this anyway? What do you have to gain by trying to shout me down about it? Don't blow it now, honestly; you've been doing so well.

Para.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Autonomous
Please, lets quit labeling everything we don't like as "Terrorism". The pirates are just that: PIRATES. Thugs on a ship with an agenda for profit. They aren't doing anything to strike fear into a particular people or government. They just want to do the least amount of work possible and get rich. $100,000 cut from a $2,000,000 job is freakin' rich to a 3rd world flunky with a small boat and a gun.

Nothing personal, but terrorist labels are thrown around way too much today. Before long we'll be called terrorists just for questioning the MSM.

Let's review..
These men/pirates are terrorists because..

a) They rule their country with money and power acquired by deliberately instilling fear/terror in their victims. (They don't want to kill people if they don't have to, they just instill fear in them so companies will shell out millions of dollars in ransom money which most companies seem more than willing to do).

b) They organize, plan, train, and perpetrate acts towards a clear ideaological goal.

c) They deliberately target innocent civilians.

-ChriS

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
Elite, best describes these guys. Navy Seals still remain to be the most Amazing military class in the World...

And the best part is that I called it, days before it happened, right here on ATS. And, naturally, was berated for it. I was off by one sniper team. I didn't foresee one of the pirates voluntarily going onto the Bainbridge. That guy is what you call lucky.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
reply to post by TerribleTeam2

Thanks for that. Back in your box.

The news reports we had over here stated that the crew was unusually all American. If this is wrong, prove it, and I will concede. Just don't make like a whiny talk show host about it ok?

And if you had bothered to read past my theorising, you would've noted that I stated I was throwing a curve ball with that post. And that I was merely trying to say that the whole story stunk to high hell.

Whats your stake in this anyway? What do you have to gain by trying to shout me down about it? Don't blow it now, honestly; you've been doing so well.

Para.

I have no stake in it whatsoever, but as I said in a previous post, I am extremely pedantic. Especially about things that I have knowledge and experience with. That's what dude. I have nothing to gain. Just the fact, for once, I actually know what I am talking about. LOL.

And are you honestly trying to tell me that you are willing to believe everything the media spouts???? Really???? You seem like a smart person, and surely you should be smart enough to realize that the media talks so much crap that it's not funny. The media is in the game of big business. They don't report the truth, they are out there to sell advertising space on television, and are out there to sell Newspapers.

As I have said in previous post's mate, I don't want to come across as being arrogant and a loudmouth, and sorry if I have, it's just that for once, I actually know what I am talking about, and am just trying to share that knowledge with the people on here that don't know. As the saying goes, Knowledge is Power!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join