It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates, official says

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Pirates have to learn that taking innocent hostages in international waters is unacceptable and any navy reserves the right to do the same thing. Yes, Somalia is a backward, lawless country with no government and pirates may just be motivated by a quick dollar...but the SEALs response should be a reminder to pirates that their line of work may (and should be) getting riskier. In the end, you don't negotiate with them, because they are nothing more than common theives and terrorists. They got what they deserved. Im glad Obama gave the Navy authority to rescue this hero. The idea that "the whole hero thing is getting old" is simply not true in my mind. The captain offering his own life so that his sailors could escape....if you don't think that's a hero, what will it take? Batman??

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Wow! Good job SEALS! You do America proud.

Meanwhile the SEALS will continue on with their profession in the guise of night without a pat on their back; fighting covertly world wide. We wont know who they are but we know they're apart of the BEST America has to offer.

Good ending. Glad the Capt. is safe. Kudos to his quick thinking throughout.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What I see here are really two seperate issues.

1st. Congratulations are in order to the soldiers involved in the rescue, a near perfect operation done by highly trained experts. The captian certainly acted very bravely in a spot where many tough talkers would have balked. He deserves hero status even if for only his 15 minutes of fame.

As this is the gist of the OP I agree, well done.

2nd. It actually may serve to bring some light to the environmental tragedy that is happening in a part of the world that rarely gets noticed until something like this happens.

Now these pirates got what they should have expected from the U.S. responce. And as far as I can tell these particular pirates are not claiming to have been trying to protect their environment or call attention to the dumping of toxic waste and illegal fishing. It is another issue altogether and is in fact already another thread HERE

edit: fixed url

[edit on 4/12/2009 by AlienChaser]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Exclusive: Photos show hostage situation in the Indian Ocean

Washington, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- BNO News received the following photos taken by a U.S. drone in the Indian Ocean on Thursday, showing the hostage scene while U.S. Captain Phililips was being held hostage.

Seeing what that lifeboat actually looked like, I understand why it was not an easy evolution for the SEALS

Kudos to them for a mission well accomplished.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Bravo Zulu to all involved in the operation. At some point we will either convoy ships past the area or show the pirate villages what Naval gunfire and carrier airstrikes can do to new cars and houses bought with ill gotten gains.
It's too bad we retired those 16" rifles. There is nothing like a broadside from a battleship to reach out and touch someone.

Go Navy.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by Tgautier13
reply to post by FredT

Pirate animals? Think before you type, or at least do some research. These people are trying to protect their coastal lines from American cargo freighters who are stealing their main food supply and crippling any chance of regaining a functioning economy. Not to mention the European countries dumping their toxic waste in the area, killing the ecosystem there while the West hoards what's left all to ourselves.

I'm not trying to take either side here. Its just hard to support Americans who are actively participating in the exploitation and destruction of a culture and an ecosystem. In fact, I refuse to.

"What I did was to keep me from perishing. I was forced to go a-pirating to live."

I never thought I would see a post defending the pirates, but here it is. Unbeliable.

Can you please provide some links to show that this ship was there to "steal their main food supply and crippling any chance of regaining a functioning economy".

Also provide some links to show that American cargo ships are "stealing their main food supply and crippling any chance of regaining a functioning economy".

Thanks. I am very unaware of this happening.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but have to wonder how long before I read a post saying the U.S. treated the pirates inhumanely, or unfairly?

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The Navy SEALs ALWAYS exceed their reputation. Not to take pleasure in anyone's killing, but it would quite a sight to see those three pirates capped by SEAL snipers.

I've heard Navy SEALs claim that they're the best snipers in the world, even better than the full-time Marine Corps Scout-Snipers. I'm not saying they're the best, but they did a bang-up job today.

All in all, a great win for the United States. Great job to the captain, the SEALs, the Navy, and our president for authorizing the op.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm not defending the pirates or condoning the U.S. Navy,

But,

I'd be willing to bet that ever since the USS Bainbridge got on site, they've had sniper rifles pointed at the pirates waiting for the perfect shot. With one on board, the chances became that much easier to kill all 3 in one swift moment, as opposed to 4, increasing the difficulty by 25%, requiring an extra sniper, and increasing the risk of one remaining alive and subsuquently killing the Captain.

But the media is saying it was Navy SEALS who fired from the Bainbridge with Sniper rifles. I wonder .. is there a SEAL team on every major U.S. Warship at Sea? This was a Guided Missile Destroyer I believe, not an amphibious invasion vessel, not a huge vessel, but more of a smaller, supporting vessel, when compared to Aircraft Carriers, Battleships, and Cruisers. That said, a Destroyer class ship is still massive when looked upon in person face to face, especialy up close and personal. But to have a SEAL team on board.. hmm..

The only thing I can think of is that the ship with the nearest SEAL team sent them to the Bainbridge in a smaller skiff type boat, or via helicopter, before it arrived on scene of the Lifeboat. Or theres a SEAL team on nearly every major Navy vessel. Which is it guys? I know alot of you worship the ground SEALs walk on, you must know the answer!

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
But the media is saying it was Navy SEALS who fired from the Bainbridge with Sniper rifles. I wonder .. is there a SEAL team on every major U.S. Warship at Sea?

It might have taken so long because they had to fly in the SEAL team..maybe?...either way, this is really good news and it makes me proud of the SEALs with all of the tough training they go through. That training has paid off and saved an American life, and hopefully sets an example to other pirates to stay away from U.S. ships, at the very least; and sets an example as to maybe save dozens of more lives, of pirates and citizens alike.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
The only thing I can think of is that the ship with the nearest SEAL team sent them to the Bainbridge in a smaller skiff type boat, or via helicopter, before it arrived on scene of the Lifeboat. Or theres a SEAL team on nearly every major Navy vessel. Which is it guys? I know alot of you worship the ground SEALs walk on, you must know the answer!

I heard they parachuted aboard the bainbridge. What I'm not sure of, is if they took the shots from the destroyer, or circled around on a zodiac or something.
30 meters or whatever someone said, seems way too close.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
GE Leo, you are being way too nice in your response to TG13.

The statements TG13 made in defense of these pirates is absolute fantasy at its best, and depravity at its worse. The pirates are not some sort of local folk hero, poor folk simply trying to put bread on the table, or even some version of a modern Robin Hood; they are simply thugs and thieves that prey on passing vessels to support their criminal lives. They rob, kidnap, murder, and brutalize ocean gong vessels, and in fact practice the trade of the original terrorists.

It is a twisted mind indeed that attempts to associate UN attempts at feeding and nurturing the Somalis as exploitative behavior.

You said it best when you typed 'Unbelieveable'.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is brillant news.....so glad this is the outcome.

Well...seems the efforts of Predident Obama Never turned out to be so stupid, after all..

Oh, I Know....if this had gone badly, the current President would have been blamed.

OK...lets celebrate the safe Captain's fate....

Because He IS a hero!!!!

'Nuf said'.....

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

I'm sorry, your point???

So, ok according to your (not supported) allegations...2.5 million Americans die per year.

This is YOUR claim please back it up with factual data.....

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Not that I am totally blind to the situation the Somalia people find themselves in, it still doesn't in any way excuse their behavior.Any exploitation by an outside country is dwarfed by the total lawlessness of the Somalian war lords currently in control. Without even a basic form order relief aid was routinely stolen and with held from the people that needed it most. Hard to erase the images of the failed U.S attempt to restore order and send meaningful aid. No organization or government is gonna send any help,without overwhelming concerns of security.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Pirate animals? for trying to stop illegal fishing and "legal fishing" which destroys their oceans? For trying to stop a corrupt navy from establishing dominance in their region? C'mon...Y'all know nothing about pirates, you can clap and cheer like an idiot at a white captain jack swallow, but as soon as it come to people your government labels "pirates" their scum... DOESn"T IT SEEM ALITTLE ODD THAT THEY WOULD ATTEMPT TO TAKE ON A WARSHIP IN THEIR DINGHYS??!?!?!!? It's all a scam sent to instill fake patriotism among the brain dead masses.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aztec Riddle

What in the heck are you talking about???

Are you on the same page???

These are acts of 'Piracy' on the High Seas....this is an obvious attempt to extort money....I mean, are you watching the same news sources the rest of us are????

I truly fear for the ability of people to interpret actual events....it is getting rather sad......

*edit* because of spelling....

second *edit* because I missed a typo....

[edit on 4/12/0909 by weedwhacker]

[edit on 4/12/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
DOESn"T IT SEEM ALITTLE ODD THAT THEY WOULD ATTEMPT TO TAKE ON A WARSHIP IN THEIR DINGHYS??!?!?!!? It's all a scam sent to instill fake patriotism among the brain dead masses.

What warship did they attack? They attacked and boarded a defenseless commercial vessel providing aid to their own continent. So, WTF are you talking about and what answer do you want to hear?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
A few hours ago I watched an ABC news broadcast showing the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips. This was the most embarrasing display of journalism I've ever seen.

The rescue of Captain Richard Phillips was portrayed like a Saturday Night Live skit with South Park mixed in between. These so called journalist used a picture of Captain Richard jumping over a sponge which was suppsed to be the boat I guess and the SEALs were on a grey boat and this looked like an egg carton. WTF?

I could have recreated this scene in my bathtub. What a waste of video feed.

I'm still very proud of the SEALs though because if it weren't for them Hannity would grill President Obama tomorrow on his show.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
HOOYAH!

One more for USN SpecOps and SpecWar.

I am so glad to finally witness these gentlemen having the more than deserved opportunity to display their Talent and Skill in an open forum, as most of their work never sees the light of day. GOOD FOR THEM!

Also, GREAT JOB to the VBSS Team onboard the Maersk Alabama, the VBSS Units in General, and all Perssonel involved, including the Sailors onboard the Maersk Alabama, the USS Bainbridge, USS Boxer, and USS Halyburton.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dfd2732de3c0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9af74a0e8172.gif[/atsimg]

USS Bainbridge DDG-96
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8306c182577c.jpg[/atsimg]

USS Boxer LHD-4
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d90e4deb48d.jpg[/atsimg]

USS Halyburton FFG-40
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8840787b7231.jpg[/atsimg]

USN VBSS Team(s)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c42cf35f497c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8cd3d98f0ec0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc6c22359819.jpg[/atsimg]